• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. How did KH2 (not FM) not have this level of negativity when it first released?

User Info: Zak6009

Zak6009
1 week ago#1
I get the flaws with this game, but this is baffling. I know KH2FM has been out for a while and it did a great job helping us forget about original KH2, but still this game by far trumps the initial pre-FM KH2 (I believe the term you guys use is 'vanilla'?) and most if not all of the side games.

Let's see... no Critical mode? Check.

Everything still super easy on Proud Mode? Check, with the exception of maybe Sephiroth.

One superboss? Check. Sure, Inferno isn't exactly on the same level, but Sephiroth isn't exactly much either compared to what came later.

Nothing requiring any strategy or challenge outside that one superboss? Check. Reflect didn't exactly matter like it does in FM and there was no concept of a "skilled player".

And other than these things it has in common I'd say everything else about original KH2 was worse. World design? Yeah, if you really prefer KH2's hallways... lol. Lack of things to interact with or hidden secrets? Chests just being out in the open?

As a matter of fact, speaking of chests and world design, I remember before KH3 come out someone talking about how it's a disappointment how the "big fancy chests" end up containing "just a map". Sure that still was the case in KH3, except this time I found myself going 'need a map, need a map, need a map...' really shows how useless maps were in KH2 which in turn speaks volumes about its world design.

Finally, minigames. Yeah I know most of you judge more on the combat, but let's talk about these for a second. At the moment, one of the few things in KH3 that actually are challenging and in some cases require skill and strategy. KH2 had its share of minigames, but I think many can agree KH3's were better. That Festival Dance in Corona is probably the best rhythm-oriented minigame in the entire series. Frozen Slider is what it is, but still volumes better than a lot of KH2's minigames. Same with Verum Rex.
KH2's minigames amount mostly to skateboarding and musical Atlantica. Plus, the fact that they have no in-game rewards and just trophies/Journal completion doesn't exactly help.

But anyway, if they were able to give KH2 a complete 180 with Final Mix content then I have faith they can do the same with the coming DLC, especially if it's "one huge expansion". What I'm hoping to see, and I'm sure many of you are too, are things that still remain challenging at level 99 with Ultima Weapon, things that require strategies utilizing different transformations or magic/links/shotlocks (or even Attraction) for different situations, and basically things where you can't just run in mashing X and triangle.
Of course, other side content would be great too like new playable areas or even worlds.

There is no reason to say they aren't capable of the same thing here. If it sucks then we can complain. Final Mix content has been known to not mess around though. There is really no reason it can't be done with this game's system and resources.

But right now, everything that's being said about this game sums up how I felt about KH2 when it first came out - that it was mostly too easy. Even the iconic "1000 Heartless" were a joke on Proud.

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
1 week ago#2
I'm sure that 1) there were tons of complaints but 2) not everything that's being said about this game was true of KH2. This game is FAR easier than KH2.
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

Zak6009
1 week ago#3
Moongeist posted...
I'm sure that 1) there were tons of complaints but 2) not everything that's being said about this game was true of KH2. This game is FAR easier than KH2.

Like what? And bear in mind this is original KH2 where the hardest mode is Proud, not Critical. What is being said that doesn't apply there?

User Info: Godstriker8

Godstriker8
1 week ago#4
I agree, pretty much all complaints (ex bad dialogue, backloaded story, easy combat) were things that existed in vanilla 2.
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!

User Info: Pikazone

Pikazone
1 week ago#5
Internet wasn't as big back then and most of the people who bought kh were kids as well so the flashy combat and disney s*** was enough. We complain about kh3 because we have kh2fm to compare it to along with other aaa games of today
pokemon y fc: 3926-4905-1302 Ign: May
Message me if you want to trade shiny 5/6 iv pokemon

User Info: k7life

k7life
1 week ago#6
Final mix came out and people forgot vanilla existed. Honestly, I feel a lot of people memories of the game are pretty distorted. Cause I when I hear people say Kh2 has the most skillful combat of the series, I'm like what because clearly remember the games being made fun off cause it was mash x to win to the point it was a meme.
Gamers are so angry these days, they should chill out or something.

User Info: CI254

CI254
1 week ago#7
Because most of us were still in school and nobody gave a damn. But it's 2019 now. Them adults have to b**** about something. That's all the internet is for, afterall.
{O,o}:O RLY?::::::::::{o,o}Shut the **** up.
/)__)::::::::::::::::::::::::::(__(\ SteamID: ci254 -Ci- Gaisuto | PSN: Cionyl

User Info: k7life

k7life
1 week ago#8
Final mix came out and people forgot vanilla existed. Honestly, I feel a lot of people memories of the game are pretty distorted. Cause I when I hear people say Kh2 has the most skilful combat of the series, I'm like what because I clearly remember the games being made fun off cause it was mash x to win to the point it was a meme.
Gamers are so angry these days, they should chill out or something.

User Info: Archwing3441

Archwing3441
1 week ago#9
KH fan base wasn’t filled with mosty bitter people in their 30’s back then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KztZmZDNCVg

Zak6009
1 week ago#10
Pikazone posted...
Internet wasn't as big back then and most of the people who bought kh were kids as well so the flashy combat and disney s*** was enough. We complain about kh3 because we have kh2fm to compare it to along with other aaa games of today

Internet was already huge in 2006 and even Gamefaqs was bumpin. Pokemon forums especially were rampant.
  1. Boards
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. How did KH2 (not FM) not have this level of negativity when it first released?
  • Topic Archived