You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. Why do people love Treasure Planet so much?

User Info: addisonswim1

addisonswim1
1 week ago#1
I never really got the allure to this film. I recently watched it after not seeing it as a child and the movie has a major story "clicking" problem. Everything goes smooth and then the story just plummets downward. Visually it's impressive, but that film left no mark on me.

I also think that in Japan, treasure planet is extremely unpopular. I can't even find Japanese box offices for it.

User Info: HipsterSora

HipsterSora
1 week ago#2
I think people like the characters and concept moreso than the overarching story. Like, pirates in space? Already a great disney movie. Have a relatable main character, a comic relief character that isn't annoying, and a villain you can't help but love who turns out to be half decent? It's a great father son story imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQx_KMoCgJU | Reading Jojolion
'It is well known that the Heartless harbor an intense hatred of shirts.' -keybladesrus

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
1 week ago#3
addisonswim1 posted...
I never really got the allure to this film

Congratulations, you're in the majority
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

User Info: NightMusic34

NightMusic34
1 week ago#4
The nostalgia's just really strong. Same thing with Atlantis. Although I will say, Square has proved they can can make a good world out of basically any Disney property (still amazes me that they chose a direct-to-video adaptation of The Three Musketeers). Even though its a rather meh film, I'm sure they could make Treasure Planet into an incredible world.
HipsterSora posted...
a comic relief character that isn't annoying

What film did you watch? That f***ing robot ruined the film. Otherwise, I agree, but he makes the idea of rewatching it unappealing.
I shouldn't have to clarify it's my opinion. You should assume that already.

User Info: Tino_Tonitini2

Tino_Tonitini2
1 week ago#6
I think a lot of people feel that, despite the quality of the film (some think it's good, others not so much), it has built a unique and interesting universe that could be a great basis for Disney world in Kingdom Hearts.

It's a flawed film but I generally like it and I do remember it with some affection.

Having said that...

Moongeist posted...
addisonswim1 posted...
I never really got the allure to this film

Congratulations, you're in the majority

As Moongeist said, you're certainly not alone. The film was generally not well-reviewed by critics and is considered a box-office bomb. Disney had write to it off as a loss and was likely a considerable factor toward ending the studio's "2D" efforts a few years later.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Tino_Tonitini2

Tino_Tonitini2
1 week ago#7
Bloodshed113094 posted...
HipsterSora posted...
a comic relief character that isn't annoying

What film did you watch? That f***ing robot ruined the film. Otherwise, I agree, but he makes the idea of rewatching it unappealing.

Maybe he's talking about Doppler or Morph? Although I concede that B.E.N. has "comic relief" written all over him.
(edited 1 week ago)
(message deleted)

User Info: SteadyingMeat

SteadyingMeat
1 week ago#9
main character has cool hair
I have a very itchy ignore finger

User Info: XianRemigius

XianRemigius
1 week ago#10
I agree. That movie was boring as s*** and I believe Disney itself realised that it was trash and should never be bothered with anymore.
  1. Boards
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. Why do people love Treasure Planet so much?