• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. I'm really worried the story for KH3 will be convoluted (series spoilers)

User Info: cnking2

cnking2
2 months ago#1
When DDD first came out, I was disappointed that they focused so much on time travel, spontaneously reviving characters, and other plot tricks in order to bring back fallen characters. But I came to rationalize it by thinking “ok this is all just so they can set up why all the bad guys are back, and it’s a bitter pill to swallow before a return to straightforward storytelling in KH3”

So now I’m reading the latest story update for KHUx and I’m sorry but that game’s story just doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s set in the past but also it’s in the dream world but also the worlds are just illusions from the book. Then the keyblade war happens and the world resets and Ventus and Marluxia are there. But now it turns out that post-war KHUx takes place in data versions of the world brought from the future. Sorry if I got some of that wrong but it’s so much to take in and I don’t understand why we need light, darkness, dreams, data, time travel, etc for a mobile game that was just supposed to tell us what happened in the Keyblade War.

And this is just months before KH3 comes out...I don’t have confidence that KH3’s story will be any less convoluted. For example I’m sure bringing back Xion is going to be some horrid entanglement of memories, data, light, darkness, and time travel. And MX wants another keyblade war so he can go to another imagining of this world in the past where Luxu opened the box releasing the darkness data worlds which yada yada yada...

I know you have to roll with the punches when it comes to this series story but I really don’t want to feel exhausted when playing my most anticipated anything of all time. Anyone else share these concerns?
Biggest Crash Bandicoot fan on Smash 4 Board!

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
2 months ago#2
cnking2 posted...
Anyone else share these concerns?

Not really, I'm sure it'll be somewhat convoluted, but I'll just enjoy the ride. I don't care about the story of UX and I don't think it'll have a big impact on 3.
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

cnking2
2 months ago#3
Moongeist posted...
cnking2 posted...

Not really, I'm sure it'll be somewhat convoluted, but I'll just enjoy the ride. I don't care about the story of UX and I don't think it'll have a big impact on 3.

You don’t think the story for 3 will be as convoluted as the one for KHUx? I’m not as sure

User Info: Ving_Rhames

Ving_Rhames
2 months ago#4
It'll be stupid and become groan inducing with every "deep" and cryptic line uttered in its attempts to be intriguingly complex but who cares. Its Kingdom Hearts.
the real Irving Rameses
http://i.imgur.com/A7f6F9h.jpg

User Info: Kingdom080500

Kingdom080500
2 months ago#5
cnking2 posted...
Moongeist posted...
cnking2 posted...

You don’t think the story for 3 will be as convoluted as the one for KHUx? I’m not as sure

3's story is just the climax of all the build up from the previous games. Nomura said certain things in 3 will be more noticeable if you understand the story (so far) of UX, but I doubt it's more than just tiny references to the plot points in UX. So far, the black box is one of the most important plot points in 3, and it originated from Back Cover, not UX.

When DDD first came out, I was disappointed that they focused so much on time travel, spontaneously reviving characters, and other plot tricks in order to bring back fallen characters. But I came to rationalize it by thinking “ok this is all just so they can set up why all the bad guys are back, and it’s a bitter pill to swallow before a return to straightforward storytelling in KH3”

It's not as complicated as you think. Ansem and Xemnas are the only ones to come back through the use of time travel. Everyone else were nobodies, so naturally they became people again after both they and their heartless disappeared, we've known that since KH2. Then Xehanort made them into nobodies again which is why they keep their nobody names. No one's been revived since no one has ever died in the first place.
Not changing this sig until Gravity Rush 3 gets announced. Don't throw away an IP with so much potential, Sony!
WOOT! Kingdom Hearts III 2019 hype!

User Info: ManagarmrOP

ManagarmrOP
2 months ago#6
See, the problem lies with Nomura. He's a character designer. He can make stuffs look cool, but with context? Doubtful.

Take a look at KH1 and KH2 secret endings.

The whole skyscraper fight is awesome. But then KH2 and mostly 358/2 has to fulfill the excitement given by said secret movie. Why the f Roxas gives Riku Oblivion? Roxas is in an emotional mess, he wants to free Kingdom Hearts. And the whole fight is pointless since Riku can just tap into Ansem SoD power.

Then there's Fate of the Unknown. Xehanort and Vanitas is OP there, yet their asses are easily kicked by the trio once we play as them. Also, the whole story doesn't sit as well for us, because we know that Xehanort is evil and gonna mess with the trio.
You gotta love and hate to fully experience something

User Info: Moongeist

Moongeist
2 months ago#7
cnking2 posted...
Moongeist posted...
cnking2 posted...

Well, I think the biggest hurdle to me understanding UX's story is the story pacing, as in, the fact that they move the main story an inch forward like every 6 months
/**T**\
\ ' ^ ' /

User Info: Sticky_Derp

Sticky_Derp
2 months ago#8
Have you watched the trailers? We know exactly what we're getting

Disney worlds with new stories, Disney worlds with movie stories, and original stuff focused on existing characters - connecting all the games and people we've played and met so far

It'll have layers, but I'm not sure you understand what convoluted means. Time travel? That was literally convoluted. There were layers upon layers and quite a few rules. That's convolution.

UX is a bit complicated, but it's more mysterious than convoluted, cause we just don't fully know what's going on.

KH3 is gonna be about bringing stuff together. So there will be some complexity. Bringing Roxas back, trying to save Saix and Aqua... complicated. And there will be stuff about hearts, darkness, and data.

But that's the series. So if you don't want that... skip cutscenes or don't play, dude
https://youtu.be/MvYApd_X3aU

User Info: Vanitas_Remnant

Vanitas_Remnant
2 months ago#9
It's absolutely going to be, but at this point in the series its not really a concern anymore but more of an expectation.

After DDD I've decided to stop sweating the small stuff and just enjoy the ride.
I feel a draft on my butt

cnking2
2 months ago#10
Sticky_Derp posted...
Have you watched the trailers? We know exactly what we're getting

Disney worlds with new stories, Disney worlds with movie stories, and original stuff focused on existing characters - connecting all the games and people we've played and met so far

It'll have layers, but I'm not sure you understand what convoluted means. Time travel? That was literally convoluted. There were layers upon layers and quite a few rules. That's convolution.

UX is a bit complicated, but it's more mysterious than convoluted, cause we just don't fully know what's going on.

KH3 is gonna be about bringing stuff together. So there will be some complexity. Bringing Roxas back, trying to save Saix and Aqua... complicated. And there will be stuff about hearts, darkness, and data.

But that's the series. So if you don't want that... skip cutscenes or don't play, dude

I feel like it’s gotten worse as the series continued, especially with DDD. I was hoping that was just a hurdle to get us ready for KH3 but now I’m not as confident. We know for a fact that Maleficent’s actions in KH3 will be influenced by events in KHUx/back cover, so at the very least that involves time travel and data worlds.

Not to mention whatever is actually in the box, which is guaranteed to involve at least a few high level KH concepts. And of course there’s bringing back “lost” characters and MX endgame plan. Previously I had thought these could be straightforward but the more I think about it the less I’m confident.

We already see YX appearing in Toy Story talking about how they made a second version of the Toy Box world...in order to research a way to revive a fallen member...wat. I hope they didn’t have to use Rhymes dreams again this time or some other unfathomable BS
  1. Boards
  2. Kingdom Hearts III
  3. I'm really worried the story for KH3 will be convoluted (series spoilers)
  • Topic Archived