• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  3. Gotta say, I really don't get the hate for this game.

User Info: splat_CAT_52

splat_CAT_52
1 year ago#1
So, I just beat this game after picking it up for 5 bucks along with the uncharted collection in the black friday sale on PSN. I love the first ME & it's one of my all time favorite games, so I was excited for Catalyst but initially avoided it due to the mediocre reviews and what I had heard people say on forums and such. It made me wary that the game was really as bad as people made it out to be, so I held off. After beating it however, I can definitely say that I don't agree at all about all the negativity I've heard.

This feels like same old Mirror's Edge to me, only expanded upon. The atmosphere/tone felt the same. Had the same artistic style to it that the first game had with the colors. Graphics are by no means the best the PS4 has to offer but they are decent enough and work well with Mirror's Edge's style I feel. Cut scenes looked nice to me though and the character movements were good. Soundtrack was really good too. Main missions were a lot of fun, overall well designed and had a lot of nice action moments that were immersive. Gameplay flowed even better than the first game with all the changes. I also felt the open world aspect worked really well and LOL at the people who I've seen say "there's nothing to do". My map is littered with things I still need to do and I feel there's a good variety as well. I mean seriously, aside from the main campaign, theres....

Delivery Missions
Diversion Opportunities
Dashes
Billboard Hacks
Gridnodes
GridLeaks
Data Chips
Recordings
Documents
Secret Bags
Creating your own dashes
Playing other players dashes

I guess the people who say such things just simply don't like any of these side missions? To each his own but what else would they expect a "runner" to have as side quests? I love collectibles and stuff so all of the above is plenty for me.

The upgrade system was cool but it definitely was stupid to have the Coil jump, Skill Roll and Wallturn Jump locked when those were basic moves in the first game, but I also feel it's negated by the fact that you can unlock them very fast after doing the opening sequence and another main mission afterwards. All the other upgrades are fine and don't mind having to work towards them. Magrope was cool as it made the gameplay flow even better. Nice to get to the end of a lot of buildings and just swing across to the next and keep running.

So yea, the only complaints I really have are the one about locking 3 basic moves behind the upgrade system. The story was cliched but still mildly enjoyable with a few likeable characters. I appreciate them at least trying to go more in depth with Faith and her backstory. Nothing to write home about but passable. Also this is minor but I feel like you felt a tad bit faster in the first game when running.

Anyways, sorry for the long read (if anyone made it this far, lol) but I just thought this board could use some positivity after the mostly negative threads here. IMO, if you're a fan of the first ME, then this game delivers and then some. I would've been fine paying full price for Catalyst at launch and have learned not to listen to naysayers again. This game was a worthy effort and entry in the series IMO.
*Jumps out window & falls to the ground* "Hey! where the hell are my wings!?" -Train Heartnet
(message deleted)

User Info: Lhinhar

Lhinhar
1 year ago#3
Just bought PS4 Pro and first three games I grabbed with it was Borderlands Collection, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I actually never read reviews for both DE and ME however I did enjoy ME as I loved the first one. MEC is actually fun to play, sure it feels a bit rushed or not as polished but the controls is as tight as ever. Overall I was quite pleased with the game even though it does feel like PS3 game than PS4
All Hail Megatron!

User Info: splat_CAT_52

splat_CAT_52
1 year ago#4
Lhinhar posted...
Just bought PS4 Pro and first three games I grabbed with it was Borderlands Collection, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I actually never read reviews for both DE and ME however I did enjoy ME as I loved the first one. MEC is actually fun to play, sure it feels a bit rushed or not as polished but the controls is as tight as ever. Overall I was quite pleased with the game even though it does feel like PS3 game than PS4

I agree, it does feel more PS3 than PS4. Not the flashiest game out on the console but there's a lot to like. Glad it still kept that same Mirror's Edge style which is what I was most concerned about. Also agree about the controls being tight. Feels great going full speed and stringing together a nice run. It just flows very well.

The game does have flaws but overall, I think this is a solid game just like the first and people are a tad bit harsh on it.
*Jumps out window & falls to the ground* "Hey! where the hell are my wings!?" -Train Heartnet
  1. Boards
  2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  3. Gotta say, I really don't get the hate for this game.
  • Topic Archived