• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: DenFoo

DenFoo
1 month ago#1
Hello,

Just wondering; I finished prologue and trying to run quests from the first camp you come into. Like getting 10 ram meat, close some rifts etc.
But everything seems to go soooo slow; Trying to fight random enemy you come across take 30 hits each cus im doing 18-30 dmg while taking 150-180 dmg.

Every fight ends up using 3-5 potions or more and in worse case kill my entire party. Im just lvl4 and looking at the exp bar, i allready need 1000s exp for levelup, meaning i need to kill 100+ enemy to get lvl5. This isnt how the game works right? Ive played rpgs for over 20yrs and never seen such weird balance early levels on. Theres nothing for sell that i can see which will make me stronger and also cant really craft anything except 1 blade (which isnt stronger than what i have)

Im really lost, so any advise ?
As humans become computers..Time becomes space... Minds become waste

User Info: EndlessMana

EndlessMana
4 weeks ago#2
I've put much time into Inquisition, and I can safely say I think Dragon Age didn't benefit from being open world. Or at least this game feels like the areas with scaled level are way too close to each other like for example early in the Hinterlands around the farm there's a rift that seems to always be stronger than your party at the time. It's not even a special event. Just this one random rift. Never understood that. Plus, still speaking of Hinterlands nothing stops you from charging into a fight with a dragon totally weak with poor equipment. And trust me when I say grinding for levels WILL be important later on and you can't just keep grinding in one area because you don't get much points for killing weaker enemies as you gain levels.
But you can find vendors who sell crafting recipes, and if you don't have enough money they can be found around the world if you go out of your way to explore. As for money, just keep selling whatever you can find. Every piece of junk. Every weapon/armor incompatible with your character. You definitely want to keep a good chunk of crafting materials for later, but it doesn't hurt to sell a little.
tldr: Inquisition is VERY questionably designed, but the game gives you much more crafting freedom after the first act and you'll have more areas to comb. You can eventually send people on missions that give you rewards like crafting recipes, ingredients, weapons or even money.
I don't care if it's "old" or "new", but I do care if it's a good game.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

DenFoo
4 weeks ago#3
EndlessMana posted...
I've put much time into Inquisition, and I can safely say I think Dragon Age didn't benefit from being open world. Or at least this game feels like the areas with scaled level are way too close to each other like for example early in the Hinterlands around the farm there's a rift that seems to always be stronger than your party at the time. It's not even a special event. Just this one random rift. Never understood that. Plus, still speaking of Hinterlands nothing stops you from charging into a fight with a dragon totally weak with poor equipment. And trust me when I say grinding for levels WILL be important later on and you can't just keep grinding in one area because you don't get much points for killing weaker enemies as you gain levels.
But you can find vendors who sell crafting recipes, and if you don't have enough money they can be found around the world if you go out of your way to explore. As for money, just keep selling whatever you can find. Every piece of junk. Every weapon/armor incompatible with your character. You definitely want to keep a good chunk of crafting materials for later, but it doesn't hurt to sell a little.
tldr: Inquisition is VERY questionably designed, but the game gives you much more crafting freedom after the first act and you'll have more areas to comb. You can eventually send people on missions that give you rewards like crafting recipes, ingredients, weapons or even money.

Hmm yea I did run into a dragon and got killed instantly :)
So from what i get outof your post is that i got sidetracked a bit too much and im in the wrong area? I

EndlessMana
4 weeks ago#4
DenFoo posted...
Hmm yea I did run into a dragon and got killed instantly :)
So from what i get outof your post is that i got sidetracked a bit too much and im in the wrong area? I
Possibly? Do you have the option to travel to Orlais yet?

DenFoo
4 weeks ago#5
EndlessMana posted...
Possibly? Do you have the option to travel to Orlais yet?

No, I was litterly in the beginning of the game after the prologue. I was roaming hinterlands and seems i got sidetracked a bit completely lost my path of the main story. Picked that up now, but ive wasted alot of powerpoints on places i dont think i shouldve....but ill see how it turns out :)

Ive recruted another mage,rogue and warrior and i am wondering if its needed to level them all or can i just pick a party and stick with it?

EndlessMana
4 weeks ago#6
DenFoo posted...
No, I was litterly in the beginning of the game after the prologue. I was roaming hinterlands and seems i got sidetracked a bit completely lost my path of the main story. Picked that up now, but ive wasted alot of powerpoints on places i dont think i shouldve....but ill see how it turns out :)

Ive recruted another mage,rogue and warrior and i am wondering if its needed to level them all or can i just pick a party and stick with it?
It seems a lot of people had the same problem. Myself included since I'm used to the series' previous linear design (for the most part). Can't promise the other areas in the game will be less confusing, but if you stick with it you can expect a little more variety in scenery. As for points, I would just put them in anything that sounds useful. Like when leveling up a mage healing should be top priority so you don't go through potions but that's all the tips I would personally give. But you've noticed how quickly you can go through potions.
Other people might do it differently, but I've always let new party members gradually level. I feel like as long as I change tactics so they don't fly into groups of enemies they'll still be able to participate. Warriors? They'll throw themselves at a ram if you accidentally hit it so they're trickier to keep from being piled on. Maybe I'm just not a warrior fan, but even playing as one I never felt stronger. If anything I had to get revived more than the mages.
My advice is to look over all your characters current abilities and equipment and compare. Whoever seems to have the best stats and covers any weaknesses your character has should be in the party. You'll probably end up bringing characters whose banter you don't mind listening to more than worrying about coverage once reaching higher levels. That or whose approval/disapproval you're looking to increase.

DenFoo
2 weeks ago#7
EndlessMana posted...
It seems a lot of people had the same problem. Myself included since I'm used to the series' previous linear design (for the most part). Can't promise the other areas in the game will be less confusing, but if you stick with it you can expect a little more variety in scenery. As for points, I would just put them in anything that sounds useful. Like when leveling up a mage healing should be top priority so you don't go through potions but that's all the tips I would personally give. But you've noticed how quickly you can go through potions.
Other people might do it differently, but I've always let new party members gradually level. I feel like as long as I change tactics so they don't fly into groups of enemies they'll still be able to participate. Warriors? They'll throw themselves at a ram if you accidentally hit it so they're trickier to keep from being piled on. Maybe I'm just not a warrior fan, but even playing as one I never felt stronger. If anything I had to get revived more than the mages.
My advice is to look over all your characters current abilities and equipment and compare. Whoever seems to have the best stats and covers any weaknesses your character has should be in the party. You'll probably end up bringing characters whose banter you don't mind listening to more than worrying about coverage once reaching higher levels. That or whose approval/disapproval you're looking to increase.

Allright, thanks for the info. I bought neckless that reset my skill points, cus i had it messed up. Got dagger skills while i was using a bow :) And the rest of points werent great either.
Ive put quite some hours into it now, but im still not sure if i play it right haha

Really one of the most confusing games ive ever played.

EndlessMana
2 weeks ago#8
I hope I wasn't too confusing as well. It's just that it's hard to describe if I'm not sure if you've played the other two games or Bioware RPGs in general. The worst part about Inquisition, I think, is that its slightly more accessible to jump into without wondering what came before but its use of having to figure out which tactics/equipment/party is best for what and not giving much hint I don't think meshes with the open world thing. Accidentally being unprepared for a boss fight or area to get stuck in isn't uncommon in those other games though; Origins has one certain segment that's universally hated and (if I'm not mistaken) has a mod just to skip because it's set up like you're supposed to be unsure which skills you want so it offers points for going through a dream world maze the mini boss puts you in before you can get the thing to kill the main boss and I when I found a comprehensible walkthrough for that part alone you bet I printed that out and use it shamelessly to this day.
I personally think Inquisition is more enjoyable after playing through the other two and importing a world. There's references to choices made and references in dialogue... Well I don't know how to make it sound like I'm not telling anyone how to play.
I just hope this experience hasn't hurt your interest in the game, or at least Dragon Age or Bioware RPGs in general because the latter (aside from just being Bioware) can be confusing and at times make you want to rage quit. It's a situation where if anyone wants to turn down the difficulty and just see the story and character arcs through to the end there's no shame in it.

DenFoo
1 day ago#9
EndlessMana posted...
I hope I wasn't too confusing as well. It's just that it's hard to describe if I'm not sure if you've played the other two games or Bioware RPGs in general. The worst part about Inquisition, I think, is that its slightly more accessible to jump into without wondering what came before but its use of having to figure out which tactics/equipment/party is best for what and not giving much hint I don't think meshes with the open world thing. Accidentally being unprepared for a boss fight or area to get stuck in isn't uncommon in those other games though; Origins has one certain segment that's universally hated and (if I'm not mistaken) has a mod just to skip because it's set up like you're supposed to be unsure which skills you want so it offers points for going through a dream world maze the mini boss puts you in before you can get the thing to kill the main boss and I when I found a comprehensible walkthrough for that part alone you bet I printed that out and use it shamelessly to this day.
I personally think Inquisition is more enjoyable after playing through the other two and importing a world. There's references to choices made and references in dialogue... Well I don't know how to make it sound like I'm not telling anyone how to play.
I just hope this experience hasn't hurt your interest in the game, or at least Dragon Age or Bioware RPGs in general because the latter (aside from just being Bioware) can be confusing and at times make you want to rage quit. It's a situation where if anyone wants to turn down the difficulty and just see the story and character arcs through to the end there's no shame in it.

No, i havent played the other games. I guess they were for ps3 and i skipped that generation, since i modded my ps2 and had enough to play :)
I like the atmosphere of the game, but i had to take a break and play a nice simple yakuza game to be a bit less confused hehe

This game makes me feel like a complete noob, which is a bit annoying...or maybe im more noob than i want to haha, but the last mission I did was protecting my ''base'' from a dragon and his buddie and while trying to fire a big catapult i died so many times. Makes me wonder what im doing wrong :\
(edited 1 day ago)

User Info: pprincess

pprincess
1 day ago#10
As you’ve seen, main story points are selected from the War Table using Power points. If you want, just do enough of the side quests to get the Power points to move on to the next story section.

Act 1 game areas all have Tier 1 crafting materials at harvest points. In Act 2, you open up new areas. Some have Tier 2 crafting materials and some more difficult areas have Tier 3 materials. In Act 2 you will unlock rune crafting and master crafting. So this is when your gear starts really improving.

In Act 1, the best gear you can get is level 9. Some of these are shop purchases, such as a Masterwork Scout armor set at a shop in Redcliffe. You can get a decent Dreamweaver staff in Orlais at the mage shop. A really good level 9 bow can be found for free doing all three Astrarium puzzles and finding the treasure reward in the Storm Coast.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A