• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Solas and the Inquisitor
EndlessMana 1 month ago#1
I need to get this off my chest: I always thought the Solas reveal didn't fit if he and the Inquisitor are friends. Like...having watched the interaction between him and an Inquisitor who disagreed with him over the course of the game and a romanced Solas scenario was mostly sensible. Even though knowledge of how the relationship turns out prevents me from romancing him myself.
Why. would. the. Inquisitor. still. call. this. guy. a. friend. by. the. end. In the other two situations you have Solas as their enemy, so now they're looking for revenge. The other has a heartbroken Inquisitor wanting to save their relationship. Solas in one scenario hates the Inquisitor, the other he possibly still loves her but knows he's gone too far.
I know there's an argument for how the romance is built on a lie, but isn't the friendship as well? I'm not going to deny both are unhealthy, but clearly I've gotten myself triggered about only one.
I will say that one playthrough I never spoke to Solas unless the game forced me to, even then I racked up disapproval and the final confrontation lost impact and it was amazing.
I say all this to say I really hope there's a future for Dragon Age (at all) with Solas. You can't leave me hanging on an emotionally drained confrontation I encouraged like that.
I don't care if it's "old" or "new", but I do care if it's a good game.
pprincess 1 month ago#2
The friend scenario probably works best when the Inquisitor is a fellow mage and generally magic approving. The same can be true of any mage-approving Inquisitor. Even when they are friends you still get choices to either agree with his actions or oppose him.

Who the Inquisitor is can be a mismatch, even though the game allows you to play it. For instance, a mage-approving Dwarf rogue makes little sense in the lore apart from Dagna. A Chantry-loving mage qunari can end up in a friend situation with Solas by picking the right responses, but it is so unlikely from top to bottom in terms of lore, even though the role-playing allows for it.

It’s not the only situation like this. You can do a Carta dwarf criminal Inquisitor in a full-on romance with Cassandra. She does say it’s odd.

I think the romance criteria work better with characters like Sera and Cullen who have limitations to their taste, so some options are either cut off or just so hard to achieve.
(edited 1 month ago)
verminqueen 1 month ago#3
It just depends on your inquisitors background, personality, and what moral decisions you make. My elf mage inquisitor didn't really disagree with him on anything for the most part, and I don't really consider the reveal and what he's done to be a betrayal tbh. He was doing what he thought was right. There's really no reason why my inquisitor wouldn't still be friends with or try to redeem him based on how I played.
I could see how someone could think differently though, as on my second playthrough I did find him somewhat condescending and rude lmao.
EndlessMana 4 weeks ago#4
I guess my own personal opinion of the character warps how I think the Inquisitor should view him. Not only can I not deal with watching them fall in love with him only to have that whole thing crumble, but after multiple playthroughs he just doesn't seem like the sort of guy you could even consider befriending after a few interactions. Even before Solas' revelations, early in the game it feels like he's pushed as a wise mentor but I could never get over how he can pout about someone like a dwarf or non mage disagreeing about his view on spirits. Because of that I can't get behind those two possible Inquisitors getting along with him because they might wonder what they did wrong or feel like he's pushing his own beliefs on them.
Sera67 4 weeks ago#5
One of my 1st play thrus, During a spot at the Keep, he was impressed we got all races in one places, and asked if i truely believed it could work.

He then turns on you kinda suddenly by end game...

He did have a motive before hand.. so I kinda get he couldnt go back on it. But it kinda sucked alot of talks you had with him about getting along didnt get usedin DLC. =/
Choco Cookies!
Sera67 posted...
But it kinda sucked alot of talks you had with him about getting along didnt get usedin DLC. =/
Yeah, cause he a punk-ass two-faced lyin'-ass hoe-bag of a b****.
PSN: Coltoneus
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas
EndlessMana 3 weeks ago#7
Mr Penguin 007 posted...
Yeah, cause he a punk-ass two-faced lyin'-ass hoe-bag of a b****.
That's a lot of hate. Your experience with Solas must have been rough. I mean, I can't say I like him but there's other Inquisition characters who I genuinely hate.
Sera67 3 weeks ago#8
I was about to type, "I don't think i really hated any of them"

Then I remember Viv was in the game... I did her story line once, (to see it) I hate her stance.....
She was introduced really nicely, thought I was going to like her..but no.

Thou, some of stuff she did when she disliked you was amusing.

I think most of my dislike was weird quest/event triggers that caused character to turn. Bull flipping sides if you didnt save team mates. (or not enough friend points or w/e) I was pretty sure I saved them.. but when i got around to DLC, to have him leave me with 3 man team that fight, was /faceslap.

lol

Alot of it could have been done better in DLC.
Love Sera and Dorian, Blackwall and Cass kinda flip in and out for tanks. Solas(now that I know, doesnt get much use now in replay thrus)
I always use Sera.. so Cole has little space in group. One play thru to hear his banter..was enough.
Varric is kinda there if I need a 2nd/3rd bowman. XD
Viv at home... who I think, has never been mad enough to leave of her own accord.

Cole did once on challenge play thru. Which is only reason I even got to see that one.
Choco Cookies!
EndlessMana posted...
That's a lot of hate. Your experience with Solas must have been rough. I mean, I can't say I like him but there's other Inquisition characters who I genuinely hate.
None of the other characters use you while being the worst hypocrite in existence. It doesn't help that he wants to wipe out all life in Thedas, again something none of the others want to do.
PSN: Coltoneus
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Solas and the Inquisitor
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A