• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Recommend a class with fun combat

User Info: AirRoar

AirRoar
4 months ago#1
Picked up DA:I on a whim and I was wondering which class (and race if that affects anything) is fun to play as. Basically I plan on just putting it on easy and experiencing the story.
2021 Hype: Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, Fallen Legion: Revenants, SM3DW + Bowser's Fury

User Info: XxEpic_GirlxX

XxEpic_GirlxX
4 months ago#2
People generally say Rogue is the most fun, followed by Mage. I will say Warrior has some abilities that let it play like a pseudo-ARPG and has potential to be pretty fun.

Races do have different bonuses. Humans get one extra ability point, Elves get a ranged defense bonus, Dwarves get a magic defense bonus, and Qunari get a melee defense bonus.

AirRoar
4 months ago#3
I currently am dabbling with a dwarf heavy sword, but combat feels a bit to slow for my liking.

I think I will go rogue, but is there much of a difference between just Rogue and Archer Rogue? The initial descriptions sound very similar just one has the option to use a bow.

User Info: XxEpic_GirlxX

XxEpic_GirlxX
4 months ago#4
The battlemaster skill tree has the "fun" warrior abilities, and warriors can take a while before they get access to the better abilities in that skill tree.

Warriors and rogues can choose between two weapon types. A warrior can use either two-handed weapons or a one-handed weapon with a shield. A rogue can use either dual daggers or a bow. Both weapon types have their own skill trees, so you're better off focusing on one rather than try to divide points between both. The big difference between the two, besides the obvious daggers being melee and bows being ranged, is that one of the specializations you can pick from later in the game has a special ability that will only work with bows. Otherwise, the only differences are in the skill trees.

I will also add that most people find the archer to be more fun than dual daggers.

User Info: celticpride34

celticpride34
4 months ago#5
You can also just control your party members more during combat.

I am playing a Templar right now and for a lot of the more difficult fights I usually manually control the mages.
Tom Brady, the Greatest Quarterback of All Time, 6x Super Bowl Champion

AirRoar
4 months ago#6
Ha. I need to remind myself that this is not Kingdoms of Alamur. LOL. Yes I actually think archery will be the best route for me.

During battle how often should one switch between action and tactics(?) mode? Or should the player just choose one or the other and stick with it?

User Info: I4NRulez

I4NRulez
4 months ago#7
Warrior is fun as hell to me once you get your specializations. Hitting people with that Templar build plus wrath of light and spell purge. That was it for me
The night brims with defiled scum,and is permeated by their rotten stench.
Just think. Now you're all set to hunt and kill to your heart's content.

User Info: celticpride34

celticpride34
4 months ago#8
I4NRulez posted...
Warrior is fun as hell to me once you get your specializations. Hitting people with that Templar build plus wrath of light and spell purge. That was it for me

A faith-based Templar run also makes way more sense story-wise. I played an Elf Mage on my first playthrough and the Herald of Andraste stuff didn’t make as much sense.
Tom Brady, the Greatest Quarterback of All Time, 6x Super Bowl Champion

User Info: pprincess

pprincess
4 months ago#9
Tactics is useful on harder difficulties mainly to set what bad abilities you want the AI not to use with your characters and to set how many potions they can use. On Easy you probably don’t need to bother with tactics and just focus on your Inquisitor.

User Info: The_High

The_High
1 month ago#10
Rogue has the best of all worlds. You can switch between close combat and long range whenever you want and can specialize some interesting abilities.

Mage is probably the most powerful though. I just don't really like the close or long range combat in this game, so switching it up helps me stay interested.

I really wish they went further with hybridized stuff. First Dragon Age made it possible for a mage to use a sword and inquisition soft plays it with a specialization. I just wish you could do something like add electric spells to your daggers or choose an ability or two from another class.
"We must be very careful what we pretend to be, because we are what we pretend to be."
Kurt Vonnegut
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Recommend a class with fun combat
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A