You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Early game mage build?

User Info: Ameer27

Ameer27
1 month ago#1
I apologize if this question already got asked a million times, but I had something specific to ask.

I'm currently a level 6 mage, and I wasn't satisfied with my build, so I wanted to respec. However, I have no idea what spells to pick. Obviously I haven't specialized yet. Should I focus on one skill tree or get skills from all trees? What skills should I focus on?

Also, once I specialize, will I need to respec again? I'm guessing that yes in order to make room for new skills from the specialization and also pick spells that work better with it. Would that be correct? Is it common for people to respec once they specialize, or am I better to get a good build from the start?

User Info: Destin

Destin
1 month ago#2
you really can do whatever you want. basically all of those questions depend on who you like to use as your other party members and how you play.

you can only use 8 spells/abilities but you don't need to respec if you happened to unlock 10 of them. sometimes you have to unlock spells you don't want to use for a passive or spell that's after it.

if you're going to keep Solas with you and spec him to have Revive, you don't need Revive on your main character. if you decide to kick him out in favor of a non-mage, it's probably a good idea to get Revive for your main character even after specialization.

no specialization is going to give you the full 8 spells, i can be remembering wrong but i feel like all of them have 5 only, so you still need at least 3 from other places. and you rarely use all 5 from your specialization.

if you know exactly how you want to build your character you don't need to respec after specialization. but it's unlikely that you know the game so well your first time.

i respec semi-often, i sometimes respec when i want to change up my party members.
Destin the Valiant

User Info: khain37

khain37
1 month ago#3
I guess it depends on what your party set up is going to be. If you're the only mage I'd recommend spirit focus and something else to supplement for now.

If you got Solas in the party he can be support and you can just focus on nuking things.

Ultimately, I'd advise looking at what abilities can combo together for massive damage and focus on those.
FFRK RW:
Main: Tyro (lvl 99) God Wall - FCv2; Alt: Auron USB - Syzo

Ameer27
1 month ago#4
Destin posted...
you really can do whatever you want. basically all of those questions depend on who you like to use as your other party members and how you play.

you can only use 8 spells/abilities but you don't need to respec if you happened to unlock 10 of them. sometimes you have to unlock spells you don't want to use for a passive or spell that's after it.

if you're going to keep Solas with you and spec him to have Revive, you don't need Revive on your main character. if you decide to kick him out in favor of a non-mage, it's probably a good idea to get Revive for your main character even after specialization.

no specialization is going to give you the full 8 spells, i can be remembering wrong but i feel like all of them have 5 only, so you still need at least 3 from other places. and you rarely use all 5 from your specialization.

if you know exactly how you want to build your character you don't need to respec after specialization. but it's unlikely that you know the game so well your first time.

i respec semi-often, i sometimes respec when i want to change up my party members.

Yeah, I have no clue how I want to build my character as like you said it's my first playthrough.

I'm planning to have a support mage in my party at all times so I can focus mainly on dishing pain. Would Vivienne work for that role or is Solas better suited for it?

How do I know which abilities to pick though? It's something I always struggle with in RPGs and I feel like the only way to know is to try things.

Ameer27
1 month ago#5
khain37 posted...
I guess it depends on what your party set up is going to be. If you're the only mage I'd recommend spirit focus and something else to supplement for now.

If you got Solas in the party he can be support and you can just focus on nuking things.

Ultimately, I'd advise looking at what abilities can combo together for massive damage and focus on those.

I plan to always have a support mage in my party.

Any particular abilities I should focus on? Also, have you got any examples for combos that work well together?

User Info: Destin

Destin
1 month ago#6
Ameer27 posted...
Yeah, I have no clue how I want to build my character as like you said it's my first playthrough.

I'm planning to have a support mage in my party at all times so I can focus mainly on dishing pain. Would Vivienne work for that role or is Solas better suited for it?

How do I know which abilities to pick though? It's something I always struggle with in RPGs and I feel like the only way to know is to try things.

trying is half the fun. and my overriding opinion is always, if you like that character for style/banter/personality, that's the most important thing, you can always build your party around that.

but to directly answer your questions and give specific tips.

both Viv and Solas are fine as support mages, most of support is using the Spirit tree and combining with Winter/Storm or Solas' specialty. That does not mean Solas is better. Viv is just fine using only Spirit + Ice + Thunder, it's just different. Solas does not have enough spell slots to use all of his specialty spells and also get all the Ice and Thunder spells. Static Cage at the bottom of the Storm tree is one of the most fun spells to use.

i will stay this. in general Thunder and Solas' specialty don't mix, avoid those specs together in your party.

Solas spec is more crowd control + support.

Viv's specialty is more of a combo up close melee/caster DPS.

the 3rd mage spec is more additional ranged casting DPS.

but high damage for mages almost always uses the Inferno tree. Fire Mine is the strongest damage spell and most fire passives increase damage. you can build any high damage caster around the Inferno tree and just using the others to add flavor.

quick build for high damage, Immolate > Flashpoint > Pyromancer > Fire Mine (Flaming Array upgrade) from the Inferno tree.

from Winter on any build Fade Step + Energizing Step is always good to add for moving around and getting MP back.

a unique thing to take note, Energy Barrage from the Storm tree takes on the element of your staff, it's not an exclusive Thunder spell. because of that and the multi-hit aspect, it matches really well with most DPS playstyles.

thematically, i like Solas' spec for the Herald on mage builds but that's just me.
Destin the Valiant
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Early game mage build?