You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Advice for DW Rogue Build (1st time playing)

User Info: Adderblack

Adderblack
1 month ago#1
Long time RPGer, EverQuest (since launch and stopped just before WoW), World of Warcraft since launch, ... But my first time playing Dragon Age Inquisition. Last few years of WoW, I only PVP'd as I was bored, but have the itch for RPGing :) Any advice for a noob to this game as a DW Rogue? What spec/skills should I take. Any advice (skills, talents, anything...) would be appreciated.

User Info: Adderblack

Adderblack
1 month ago#2
Oh, and any crafting advice. I know I am late to the party, but was burned out and now have the itch again :)

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
1 month ago#3
First, bear in mind that you are the glassiest of glass cannons. Enemies will want to kill, and they'll be pretty good at it. Thankfully, the same goes in reverse. You will start with Stealth, and be sure to make liberal use of it. You can also pick up the Flank Attack ability pretty early, along with an upgrade that will put you in Stealth immediately after hitting with it...I think you can see how that might be useful: reasonably high damage, teleports you behind and enemy, and makes it so everybody forget you're there. Good stuff.

Also, later in the game, you may find an item called Fade-Touched Silverite, which can greatly boost your survivability: it adds a shield, effectively, that builds up with every time you hit an enemy, and with the flurries you're putting out, that'll do a lot to keep you alive.

Around 1/3 of the way through the game, you'll be able to unlock Specializations. Pick the one that best fits your playstyle:
-Assassin: More stealthing, more heavy-hitting. Mostly designed to stack with tools you already have, and does it very well. You'll hit hard, kill fast, drop back into Stealth, and repeat.
-Tempest: Primarily designed around short bursts of extreme power, and geared especially well to close range fighters. Dagger Rogues can also take advantage of certain tricks to basically execute an infinite chain of special moves until everything is dead. Also pretty glorious.
-Artificer: For when you absolutely, positively, gotta blow up every mofo on the map, and/or really hate having cooldowns. It's designed to work better for archers, but that doesn't mean you can't do it as a Dagger Rogue.

Finally, one piece of advice regarding party members: melee-range combat tends to be a bit of a clustereff; in that regard, I recommend no more than combatants hanging out at super-close range. Your Inquisitor will be one of those two. You will also want a Warrior in your party, who will be the other. Bear that in mind when setting up parties (that said, party members tether to your level, so it's pretty easy to switch 'em out as you see fit). For the remaining two slots, you'll want at least one Mage, as well, and the fourth can be either an Archer or a second Mage. One of your Rogue allies is also a Dual-Wielding Assassin in terms of story, but there's no mechanical reason you can't change him to a bow user if you want to use him.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
1 month ago#4
There's a lot of new player advice on this forum... just scroll back 3 or 4 pages and read anything that sounds like it might have tips.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Advice for DW Rogue Build (1st time playing)