You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Why is the combat in this considered so much worse than DA:O?

User Info: DingytheMan

DingytheMan
3 months ago#1
Never played DA games until recently. Had a terrible impression of DA:O but then started to like it, until some 12hrs in that is, reached the Magi Tower and that boring "trapped in a dream portion" and feel like quitting, combat is so dull and the UI doesn't help one bit, characters except for Morrigan aren't that interesting to me either, but enough off topic.
I also played a bit of DA:I and the combat felt much better, skills look far more interesting and you can actually bring a tactical view and set waypoints to move your party etc Combat is pretty identical to Origins except the UI works much better, I don't get when people say it's so much worse.. Am I missing something?

User Info: mrkitties420

mrkitties420
3 months ago#2
The lack of fully customizable combat tactics and the 8 skill slot limit was considered a huge step back. There's a laundry list of bugs that affect combat,http://bsn.boards.net/thread/472/guide-documentation-combat-mechanics, although you may not notice them unless you're looking for them. The flanking dot glitch and ai not using offensive skills are two of the most egregious bugs in the franchise. Grenades flying off into space is downright hilarious. Most content can be completed by just being overleveled, except when you get to the Jaws of Hakkon where you actually need stuff to be working.
PSN: mrkitties420
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: sobergermanguy

sobergermanguy
3 months ago#3
It's not that the combat is worse, I would say it's significantly better. My issue is they made the gameplay more actiony and less RPGish. A rouge can't use a sword, a warrior can't dual wield, a mage can't use a shield. Classes have narrow, defined roles in this game. And that's boring.

You can't even switch weapons or skills during combat. There is a bunch of stuff they removed that I can't remember atm. The point is DA: I is more like an action adventure game than an RPG
You choc-blocked me, bro

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
3 months ago#4
One of the things that bugged me the most, and I mentioned this in the playstyle topic, is that you can't be a ranged warrior, you can't even equip a bow for hunting. They went hard on the "you're a tank or you're a 2 handed dps" templates.

Overall a lot of the abilities feel less like unique abilities and more like things you have to buy so you can get the best min/max passives. Like for Knight Enchanter you pretty much buy the whole fire tree because most of the passives feed the KE ability cycle to an almost broken level. The Necromancer tree for mages does not even feel like any definition of a Necromancer to me. You get a couple dot and fear abilities, it's kinda boring really.

The game's combat system works, but it just feels a lot less fun than DAO or even DA2.

User Info: DingytheMan

DingytheMan
3 months ago#5
Alessar posted...
One of the things that bugged me the most, and I mentioned this in the playstyle topic, is that you can't be a ranged warrior, you can't even equip a bow for hunting. They went hard on the "you're a tank or you're a 2 handed dps" templates.

I definitely missed that since I also played as a warrior in DA:O and would most times start the fight by shooting a couple arrows first. I think maybe I'll watch a few portions of a playthrough before I decide to invest more time in this game.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Why is the combat in this considered so much worse than DA:O?