You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. The Inquisitor and Your Playstyle

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
4 months ago#1
I'm currently on a replay of DAI and I went with a mage, AGAIN. But this time I told myself I'd do Something Different. But no, I made a lightning based mage and am gleefully trapping things in lightning cage and then blasting them with energy barrage.

But no, I'll Do Something Differnt I told myself and unlocked Rift Mage instead. I'll skip that jerk Solas this time out and do all the crowd control myself, I said. I'll do the shock/weaken combo that makes Sleep and then do an Eldritch combo on it with Energy Barrage or Dispel and give the foes the Waking Nightmare combo for huge damage.

Well no. Because I'm SPAZZY and I screwed up the combo every time I tried it. I finally just reloaded and went Knight Enchanter, AGAIN. I'm telling myself I'll just take the barrier passives and play with stuff I haven't before but I bet... I won't. (Necromancer was never a possibility because I just plain don't like it.)

So my question for discussion is, are there any specialties of any class that you like in theory but just can't stand playing?

User Info: JLazarillo

JLazarillo
4 months ago#2
As a note, Shatter combo of Rift + Winter is wayyyyyy more efficient and easy to pull off (and doesn't ruin your Recovery). Granted, then you don't have Lightning stuff (I play on PC, so I just modded out the Shock + Weaken oversight when I last used that combo, personally).

Anyway, let's see, as for my answer to the question, Champion's a big one. On the one hand, it's the only Warrior specialty where the game doesn't go "oh, and canonically, you'll go insane in a few years", so part of me is really inclined to it, but it's just so boring, and doesn't really add anything I can't get from the Vanguard tree already.

Knight Enchanter's another I've never got much mileage out of, mostly because it makes me feel too limited on party members. More than two melee fighters tends to be a giant cluster-you-know-what in a lot of fights, so to play a class that allows me to bring in a wider of variety of companions, and then pick the specialty that then restricts me again, can get frustrating.
Formerly a panda, formerly a carnivore. Now just a guy without a catch phrase.
https://imgtc.com/i/uVS7l1o.jpg
(edited 4 months ago)

Alessar
4 months ago#3
Honestly I can't seem to get into melee in this game at ALL. Not any of the warrior types, and not even melee rogue. And that sucks, I actually went melee rogue in DAO, IIRC I had a duelist/assassin. I should try it again someday but the rogue I liked was a Sera clone, basically. I like that the AI seems to use Champion correctly without too much trouble and I have found I really like Blackwall as my general tank with it.

The shatter combo is nice, I am probably going to just leave that for Solas to do.

I know with Knight Enchanter the traditional useage is Wade Into Combat -> Eat Barrier for powerup -> Cast Fire Mines -> Restore Barrier and if you're in the middle of things it does work. What I like about Lightning Mage (and Spirit Mage) is being able to pick a spot and move things to that spot (with Pull of the Abyss and Lightning Cage) and then AoEing them to death. Like any rogue with leaping shot + lightning cage is just insane on a group. I do like to hang back and survey the field so I can micromanage everyone.

So instead of wading in with KE I mostly focus on being able to survive something running up and plastering me and turning around and shivving them with my spirit blade.

User Info: I4NRulez

I4NRulez
4 months ago#4
Alessar posted...
So my question for discussion is, are there any specialties of any class that you like in theory but just can't stand playing?

Mage, all mage playthroughs i tried were boring as s*** to me. I don't want to play an MMO style mage in a single player RPG
The night brims with defiled scum,and is permeated by their rotten stench.
Just think. Now you're all set to hunt and kill to your heart's content.

User Info: Mr Penguin 007

Mr Penguin 007
4 months ago#5
I wanna try Charging Bull into Wrath of Heaven on Templar. It costs 65 Stamina but it's free after Charging.
PSN: Coltoneus
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas

Alessar
4 months ago#6
I got on a rogue alt I had only gone as far as character creation on -- he didn't even do the bit at the start where you learn to move and attack -- and wow, I hated it. HATED it. It was even worse than jumping onto Cole to make him attack something.

I have to comment here that in DAO, my Warden was a dual wield rogue who went assassin-duelist IIRC. Totally stealthed up to people and stabbed them in the back (unless a cut scene forced him out of stealth...). I couldn't do that in this game. Even when I got him behind someone the second I went to attack the target would jump to like, the next guy and the attack would miss. Or the demon would spin around to attack someone else and screw up my alignment. I'm kinda thinking I just can't play anything but ranged in this game. I have a 1H sword guy parked at level 2 in Haven I have to try out still. I'm curious if I can do a DPS type warrior if I have someone tanking and barriering me...

User Info: tippytip

tippytip
4 months ago#7
So I had this same problem when I first started playing years ago. I borrowed the game from a friend with the intentions of going KE cause I never got that far with a mage, well I still went rogue but decided to go with archer artificer after reading about it.

I'm glad I stuck with it because it's the most fun I've had on this game. It doesn't pan out till higher levels when you can craft gear and get your crit chance above 50%. After that it was pure fun. Constant cool down reduction with crits means you always have abilities up to switch up your tactics, hit and run bombing the hell out outta everything, yoyoing around enemies with grappling chain and dropping back with fallback plan just to stealth and go in at another angle.

It feels like the most versatile specialization there is. Add fade touched silverite for +5 guard per hit and the games broke. That counts for each projectile on a leaping shot. Hail of arrows is broken with leaping shot too. Nothing can stop you.

My only gripe is elemental mines can be a little wonky at times. Not triggering on larger enemies , or just ignoring gravity depending on what obstacles are around you when you throw them. Still my favorite specialization in the game. Yeah it's a little op but with constant stamina and CD reduction you basically have all your tools at your disposal at all times allowing you to swap out different abilities and try new tactics.

User Info: DarkFalcon

DarkFalcon
4 months ago#8
I usually try to start playing as a warrior or rogue (even archers feel a little slow), but I usually change back into a KE mage focusing on fire/thunder (double Energy Barrage (vs single targets) or double Lightning Chain (vs groups) and getting enough guard to where even dragon's can barely hurt me makes me feel like a god :P), since I feel like I'm actually doing damage and killing things on my own.
The Tsubaki Naokawa of Lamia in FFXIV.

Alessar
4 months ago#9
I forced myself to play some more as a warrior and a couple more things are driving me nuts. Laugh if you want, but I was unable to kill nugs in Haven to farm leather. They just run away from me, I can't get close enough to them to use an attack skill. The grappling chain power in warmaster does not work on regular animals like nugs, fennecs, or elks. It works on combat dogs and wolves but not bears (obviously bears are huge I didn't expect it to). I resorted to soloing druffalo and let me tell you that's slowwwww.

User Info: tippytip

tippytip
4 months ago#10
Alessar posted...
I forced myself to play some more as a warrior and a couple more things are driving me nuts. Laugh if you want, but I was unable to kill nugs in Haven to farm leather. They just run away from me, I can't get close enough to them to use an attack skill. The grappling chain power in warmaster does not work on regular animals like nugs, fennecs, or elks. It works on combat dogs and wolves but not bears (obviously bears are huge I didn't expect it to). I resorted to soloing druffalo and let me tell you that's slowwwww.

You can buy crafting materials at the black emporium. Shouldn't have to farm if you got the money or don't mind doing the item dupe for more gold.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. The Inquisitor and Your Playstyle