You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Tegamdar

Tegamdar
4 months ago#1
I am trying to work on crafting for well basically the first time. My question is, when you build weapons and even armor. How do you know you are going to get the best version? I want to build the best bow possible, but I don't even know what resources to use to get the proper stats. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks

User Info: Kazadora2099

Kazadora2099
4 months ago#2
So materials are in different Tiers. 1 being the lowest and 4 being the highest. Using the same bow schematic with only Tier 1 mats it'll be a basic low end weapon, however if you were to use all Tier 4 mats plus a Masterwork it would be extremely more powerful, and they don't have level requirements. Also schematics are also set into Tiers, using a higher tier bow schematic is what you should shoot for.

You can buy the materials from vendors or the Black Emporium (it's a free DLC and highly recommended. From the BE you can buy an unlimited amount of T1 and T2 mats. T1 starting as soon as you unlock it from the War Table, T2 at level 6 or 8, T3 at lvl 16 (limited supply) and T4 at level 23 (Very limited supply). However in the Trespasser DLC there is a shop that sells all the things, in unlimited amounts. It's post-game content so if you wanted to "trial and error" and have tons of gold to see different things, that's the best place to do it.

It'll take a lot of trial and error depending on if this is your 1st ever playthough or now, the Golden Nug and Trespasser DLC are must haves if you want the best weapon possible for any class/spec.

I high recommend checking out http://dragoninquisition.com/ then under Guides and Tips section. You can also use it to get the most out of your party setup, builds etc....
PSN: TheRaven2099
Dragon's Dogma - Pawn - Elora Danan 90 Sorc

Tegamdar
4 months ago#3
Thank you very much for this informative response. I do appreciate the time and effort you took to write this out for me. I have been wanting to do a weapon/armor build up for all of my characters as they currently feel gimped.

User Info: Mr Penguin 007

Mr Penguin 007
4 months ago#4
In general you wanna use Armor Schematics with Utility, and Weapon Schematics with Offense.

For Utility:
Metal=Strength and Constitution
Leather=Dexterity and Cunning
Cloth=Magic and Willpower

Fade-Touched Obsidian and Silverite are your best bets for Masterwork materials. If you have both you'll get 8 points of guard per hit, making survival much easier.
PSN: Coltoneus
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas

User Info: Alessar

Alessar
4 months ago#5
Lots of random thoughts on this:

Power level: Very roughly tier 1 schematics are for up to about level 6 or 7, tier 2 from there up to about level 14, and tier 3 for level 15 and up. Tier 4 stuff is from the DLC so technically it's level 20. However it isn't quite as big a stat jump as it is from 1 to 2 to 3.

Higher tier schematics become more powerful both because they require more materials to make the base item (and thus even with lower tier materials will be stronger) and also they have more add on slots to give you stats and bonus properties.

As long as you're using schematics AND materials of the tier for your level you should be totally fine as far as not being under-geared in terms of raw number. That means if you're got a schematic of a higher tier even if you're using the lower tier materials it's going to be a bit better.

I wouldn't agree that Armor schmatics should always mostly be utility. Defense gives you damage resistance and if you're going to, for instance, fight a fire breathing dragon it might be good to have some fire resistance in your armor. If you have a tank, piling on some melee or ranged defense or even stagger might be more important, that kind of depends on the builds. Now those kinds of attributes could be in the base armor OR the arms/legs which you can modularly attach to most of them. (The armors with special universal designs like Orleasian or Free Army -- those armors do NOT have slots for arms/legs). Basically, especially as you're leveling, just use what seems best. For example early in the hinterlands you fight a lot of rebel mages that use ice mines like crazy so I put cold resistance in the earliest armors I made but in the latest batch I made I gave out a lot of ranged defense because I was getting perforated by archers. Putting resistances/defenses into armor arms/legs means you can swap them out while maintaining the core armor, but sometimes you need to stack everything you can.

As far as weapons it's again similar, you get to make a base item and then 1 or 2 upgrades that further tweak them. If you don't craft something for those slots you are gimped. So for instance a staff, needs a wrap and a blade/tip to be complete. Oh and Varric's weapon Bianca is really odd, it has THREE upgrades, the grip (handle), the scope (aiming module) and the actual weapon core (the "arms"). The catch there is that the Bianca Arms is actually the main weapon for all intents and purposes - that's where the damage comes from. If you ever find a higher damage Arms from a chest the game will auto install it if Varric is in your party.

Finally the tier 2 and up schematics have a space for "masterworks" which is a special material (fade touched nugskin etc) that adds some bonus magic item property. For defense, something that grants guard on hit can be nice (I love putting that into mage staves and then having them fire Energy Barrage. Suddenly the mages can tank) but there are lots of special abilities that can be gained and you should have fun and play around with them. If you ever wanted to recreate some item like a staff that casts Walking Bomb but make it in a different element? Masterworks materials are how you get that bonus power.

Tegamdar
4 months ago#6
I have yet to craft any armor or weapons. My biggest issue is. I don't know what to put in the slots when crafting the master work. I have a crap ton of resources (I have yet to craft anything in game other then the side quest required one). My concern is throwing resources into a slot that would in the long run make that piece of gear worthless.

Alessar
4 months ago#7
Well first of all, all gear is disposable.

Secondly, are you familiar with the idea of ending an RPG and realizing you have 12+ of the obligatory full heal party item that you never used because you "might need it later" and you actually just made things tough on you? Yeah that thing.

I turned on some of the easier trials and just raked in fade-touched materials for crafting. When I finished Trespasser I literally had like 5 dozen masterwork components and that was with me using them pretty freely.

These things aren't finite. You can literally save-scum to get some of them specifically. I can see being really cautious with something like an on-hit-guard item when you're not sure if you're about to change weapons and you've only got 1 or 2 and you're debating who needs it most. But if you're limiting yourself to dropped weapons because you're not sure if you should stick a Walking Bomb or a Veilstrike material into Cole's second weapon.... bite the bullet and try it out and see which one works for you.

Certainly you can read up on some of these materials and see what people think of them too. There are some that are better than they sound and some that are worse than they sound. But it's better to just make the gear then let your potential power stagnate.

Mr Penguin 007
4 months ago#8
Only thing you should be careful about using is certain Fade-Touched stuff and Dragon materials. Everything else can be farmed easily.

Mr Penguin 007
4 months ago#9
And again, what are you trying to make?

Alessar
4 months ago#10
It sounds like he needs weapons and armor for the full team.