You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Any Advice for a new player jumping into this game?

User Info: Elderscrolls14

Elderscrolls14
7 months ago#1
I love rpgs and have a serious back log of games and im finally getting around to playing this game.
Ive watched a bunch of videos on this game and it looks amazing.
Any tips for a new player?
"My business is with Echigoya...step aside or i will have to kill you."

User Info: Jageshemash

Jageshemash
7 months ago#2
I would seriously recommend playing the first two games first. Technically each game has a standalone story but there are a lot of major plot points that carry over from game to game. To give an example without giving too much away, the major villain in this game was introduced in the second game. And most of his introduction is boiled down to 'Hey, remember this guy from the last game? Good, let's move on to the next thing.'

Second, don't spend too long in the game's opening level. You can come back to any level at any time, so don't get to bogged down trying to do sidequests. Feel free to power through the story first before you're in a comfortable spot to dick around with side content.

Third, don't worry so much about powergaming your 'build'. You can respec your character at any point in the game, so experiment to see what playstyle works for you. The only thing you can't change is your class.

Fourth and final, CRAFT. Anything you craft will, 9 times out of 10, be better than anything you find in loot drops or chests, save for some very unique endgame equipment. Even using basic materials on a basic blueprint will still give you something way better than anything you could get through the early grind.

Beyond that, have fun and take your time. This isn't the type of game you power through in a single sitting, so be sure to take time to explore and build up your relationships with your party members.

Hope you enjoy it!
STOP THE VIOLENCE! CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

User Info: Hunting_Swan

Hunting_Swan
7 months ago#3
As someone who only started this a week or so ago, these are things I really wish I'd have known in advance:

1. In every camp you'll have a requisition officer. She'll constantly badger you with a side quest that involves you giving her crafting resources in exchange for power. Ignore her. Power is easily obtained and your resources are way more valuable for crafting. And it doesn't seem to go anywhere. She just cycles through preset fetch quests and it never ends. So I'd suggest avoiding her like the plague.

2. Craft. Always. You find some decent weapons and Armour as you travel, but unless it has an icon that's blue or purple it's not usually worth your time. But crafted items are always incredibly strong if you build them right.

3. Mages have fallen from grace. Badly. I usually play a mage in Dragon Age, but they have really changed from how they used to function. They aren't bad by any means, but are no longer the one man/woman army they once were. Still important for CC and Barrier, but my main character feels pretty useless for dps in boss fights. Winters Ruin has basically just about carried her through bosses so far.

4. If you're like me and get completionist and want to do 100% of the game.... Resist. The main plot of this game is actually awesome, but the plot to filler ratio is heavily unbalanced and you don't want to spend 20 hours roaming around doing filler side quests. That's what I've been stuck doing atm, and I wish I'd have paced it all out a little better haha

5. I didn't know about this till halfway through my game and my word I wish I'd have known about it sooner, but as your inquisition levels up you get free perks points you can spend in one if 4 categories. In each category there is an option called "knowledge". They're named like underworld knowledge and arcane knowledge and the like. Get them ASAP. They open up your dialogue options massively as you progress. They also give you a xp boost when you find codexes (or codices? =S) which is also nice.

6. If an ability in your skill tree has a 'Detonator' ability, learn to apply it as much as possible. Combos are the big damage source in this game.

And above all, enjoy yourself ^-^
(edited 7 months ago)

User Info: SageOfLife

SageOfLife
7 months ago#4
When you go into the status screen to change your companions' tactics, set each one to follow themselves. This will fix a lot of problems with mages and archers trying to follow you into melee.
Get your f*#%*!% foot off my neck, then we'll talk tolerance. - David Gerrold

Elderscrolls14
7 months ago#5
Great tips so far, keep em coming!

User Info: Jageshemash

Jageshemash
7 months ago#6
Elderscrolls14 posted...

I gotta ask, how are you liking the game so far?
STOP THE VIOLENCE! CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!
(edited 7 months ago)

Elderscrolls14
7 months ago#7
Jageshemash posted...
Elderscrolls14 posted...

Its great i just got through the opening level where you close the rift and im abit lost. This game is really daunting but i think ill get the hang of it.
Ive got the maul of the dragon
The shokra tar
And rashvine vitaar to start off.
I love the look and feel of the game, the graphics are amazing and i cant wait to delve deep into this game.

User Info: thedoctor2014

thedoctor2014
7 months ago#8
I just got it to

User Info: Mage_Rights

Mage_Rights
7 months ago#9
Elderscrolls14 posted...
Jageshemash posted...
Elderscrolls14 posted...

Its great i just got through the opening level where you close the rift and im abit lost. This game is really daunting but i think ill get the hang of it.
Ive got the maul of the dragon
The shokra tar
And rashvine vitaar to start off.
I love the look and feel of the game, the graphics are amazing and i cant wait to delve deep into this game.

Just going to warn you, the bears in the Hinterlands are a pain to deal with sometimes. Also another thing, whatever you do, avoid any videos on youtube that involve the game. You'll regret it and have to deal with some major spoilers.
Anything can kill. Knives can kill, magic can kill, even small children launched at high speeds can kill. - Zevran Arainai

User Info: Shinagawakun

Shinagawakun
6 months ago#10
I'd recommend you dig through this board. Some of the older threads are full of ripe advices.

Some good old threads are - https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/718650-dragon-age-inquisition/73760128

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/718650-dragon-age-inquisition/75674898

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/718650-dragon-age-inquisition/75636543

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/718650-dragon-age-inquisition/73495572
psn:wangyel/wangyell
pawn:Hect, Lv 200, Strider, U+S/Sungjin, Lv.5, Fighter, S
(edited 6 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Any Advice for a new player jumping into this game?