• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Why does everyone get mad about Vivienne

User Info: Erroneous_Snake

Erroneous_Snake
6 years ago#1
About being pro-circle and call her a hypocrite (which she isn't), but its okay for Sera to be a self hating elf?! Worst part is she's not anti-mage, she just wants order in society, and everyone thinks Kirkwalls circle was the norm when it was the exception.

Dialogue tells you that mages have been able to live outside the circle tower in other locations, they just need approval of the Head enchanter and a sponsor. Each one was handled differently. But more importantly look up what hypocrite means, you're all using it wrong.

I'm more annoyed Sera doesn't like evles because she comes from such a rich history. I can maybe understand not caring too much for the dalish, but with her its a step further than that.
But honestly he looked surprised that video games aren't 2-d anymore. I'd rather have this clueless drunk than Hayter though - Billyjeanmurder

User Info: Lionheart08

Lionheart08
6 years ago#2
Because she's Pro-Circle and is arrogant about it. You see, it's only ok to be arrogant if they don't challenge your point of view. :P
I'm a genius! Geniuses don't NEED medication!

User Info: JPTheria

JPTheria
6 years ago#3
I understand Sera. In general. At least what she presents as at the beginning of the game (it may be deeper that this if you get into her motivations a bit more as the game goes on).

I see a lot of people who are completely perplexed by her views. Think of her as a punk rocker and she completely makes sense. She hates pretty much everyone who isn't street. But she's nihilistic and don't have much faith in idealists either. She pretty much tells you she's joining you as a lark and because you're the only people actually taking care of business... and when the Breach is gone she can go back to more profitable pursuits.

I just love the Friends of Red Jenny in general. And she's pretty much an embodiment of the group.

As for her hating the Dalish, who wouldn't? They're basically racial separatists and they look down on alienage elves at least twice as much as Sera looks down on them.

User Info: JPTheria

JPTheria
6 years ago#4
As for Vivienne, I don't understand why she gets more hate than Wynne from DA:O. They're basically the same archetype: leader of their respective branch of the Circle, and very invested in the status quo of mages being under its thumb, because they get power out of it. The difference between DA:O, DA2 and DA:I: in Origins you're a neutral outsider, in DA2 you're basically mostly trust in a position as a rebel against the Templars and the Chantry, while in DA:I you're mostly cast in the role of insider (though a new offshoot, more "liberal"/progressive, of the main Chantry). Your relation to Wynne vs your relation to Vivienne is different. Technically, Vivienne has more interest in the Inquisition's success as Wynne had invested in the Grey Wardens... if it wasn't for the Blight, which sort of overshadowed those petty concerns.

User Info: Anakerie

Anakerie
6 years ago#5
Because Vivienne had a positive experience in the Circle she has a hard time understanding that for other mages it was a nightmare. Look what happened to Original Recipe Cole: he was throw in room and forgotten about until the kid died (most likely of dehydration). Mages were raped and tortured in some circles. Wynne had her newborn son ripped out of her arms and didn't find him again until he was a grown man. Vivienne has a blind spot about just how bad it could get. Even mages who weren't abused were still taken away from their families and allowed no contact.
Sometimes I wonder if there's a man out there who has what it takes to make an honest woman out of me: sodium pentohal. Switch SW-8475-5828-9288. PSN Ana Kerie

User Info: Shackleford_R

Shackleford_R
6 years ago#6
Vivienne's take on Kirkwall (paraphrased) "apparently they weren't hard enough on the mages."

I can understand pro-circle, but she's just a totally out-of-touch, judgemental b****. Just because you support the idea of the circles doesn't mean you have to be an apologist for jackbooted thugs who abuse their power.

As for Sera, she isn't anti-elf, she's anti-Dalish. I don't totally agree with her, but there is some merit to the idea that you shouldn't spend your life clinging to ideas of how things used to be.
"Silly little birds, all in their nest.... wondering what's going to happen next. Good luck!"

User Info: CorruptedSoul12

CorruptedSoul12
6 years ago#7
Maybe the reason people liked Wynne is that she is a nice person and treats everyone pretty fairly whereas Vivienne is a complete jerk to everyone in your party and you. I mean you can't please everyone in this game since everyone has their own viewpoint but since a lot of people are pro mage, it causes Viv to disagree with you all the time.

User Info: cheerz4beerz

cheerz4beerz
6 years ago#8
Wynne was like a doting grandmother. I couldn't help but bring her along I felt like I was going to get homemade cookies presented to me at the end of every battle.

Alistair tank
Leliana Archer
Wynne healer
and whatever I decided to be (usually dw warrior, or rogue)

User Info: Otters11

Otters11
6 years ago#9
Vivienne's got opinions. I don't agree with her but I don't hate her for it. I am baffled by the fact that so many people do.

User Info: Lord Hugo

Lord Hugo
6 years ago#10
cheerz4beerz posted...
Wynne was like a doting grandmother. I couldn't help but bring her along I felt like I was going to get homemade cookies presented to me at the end of every battle.

Alistair tank
Leliana Archer
Wynne healer
and whatever I decided to be (usually dw warrior, or rogue)

Lol. That is my exact party and build usually too. As for Vivienne. She is pro-circle...everything about the circle. Good and bad. Wynne obviously understood that change was needed, but was pro-circle due to the circumstances that can and have happened.
Swish, I'm ballin'. I'm so awesome.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition
  3. Why does everyone get mad about Vivienne
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A