• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. The Demon Points Mini-Guide v1.1

User Info: AlxCj

AlxCj
4 years ago#1
-----Table of Contents-----

DPG01-Introduction
DPG02-The basics
DPG03-Demon Levels
DPG04-Increasing the thresholds
DPG05-Earning Demon Points
DPG06-Losing Demon Points
DPG07-FAQs

DPG01-----Introduction-----

Many people have abstained entirely from killing enemy soldiers out of fear of increasing their Demon Level, which results in limited gameplay, as most weapons available to the player are lethal. Hopefully this small guide will clarify the basics of the Demon System and encourage the use of different weapons and allow the player to experience a different way of playing.

And for all of those who want to reach the Demon Snake level, in this guide you'll find a complete list of ways to increase your Demon Level, as well as things to avoid if you want to raise your Demon Level quickly.

DPG02-----The basics of the Demon System-----

The Demon System determines certain factors of the appearance of Venom Snake, the player can gain or lose Demon Points by performing certain actions; once the player acquires enough Demon Points, they will increase their Demon Level, which will result in the enlarging of Snake's shrapnel-horn. Sadly, there isn't any sort of indication in-game that tells the player exactly how many Demon Points they currently have, their only clue as to how much they may have is the current size of Snake's horn.

DPG03-----Demon Levels-----

There's 3 different Demon Levels:

1- Normal Snake: starting level; basic appearance of Venom Snake.

2- Horn Snake: it has a longer horn than Normal Snake (http://imgur.com/EbBrNdP). Reached after accumulating 25,000 Demon Points

3- Demon Snake: it has the longest horn and Snake is always covered in blood (http://imgur.com/RwjC9lQ). Reached after accumulating 50,000 Demon Points.

Note that you can lower your Demon Level anytime by simply decreasing your Demon Points below the amount required to reach your current level.

DPG04-----Increasing the Thresholds-----

Initially, you need 25,000 Demon Points to reach Demon Level 2, and 50,000 to reach Demon Level 3; but these thresholds become higher every time you revert from Demon Snake. The player can only raise these thresholds; and once the thresholds raise, they cannot be reverted.

For example, if you reach Demon Snake for the first time, and lower your Demon points back to 49,999 or lower, the thresholds will increase to 39,999 or lower for Level 1, 40,000-79,999 for level 2 and 80,000 or more for level 3.

The following is a list of all the thresholds:

---After first change

Level 2: 40,000 Demon Points
Level 3: 80,000

---After second change

Level 2: 55,000
Level 3: 110,000

---After third change

Level 2: 70,000
Level 3: 140,000

---After fourth change

Level 2: 85,000
Level 3: 170,000

Any further changes after the fourth won't increase the thresholds anymore.

AlxCj
4 years ago#2
DPG05-----Earning Demon Points-----

The following is a list of actions the players can perform to increase their Demon Points, grouped by category:

---Fulton extractions

+20 - Fail the fulton extraction of an animal
+60 - Fail the fulton extraction of an enemy soldier

---Assassinations

+20 - Kill an animal
+60 - Kill an enemy soldier
+90 - Kill a Diamond Dogs staff member held hostage
+100 - Kill a prisoner
+120 - Kill a critically wounded enemy soldier
+180 - Kill a Diamond Dogs staff member

---Assassinations via fire damage

+40 - Kill an animal with fire damage
+120 - Kill an enemy soldier with fire damage
+180 - Kill one of your Diamond Dogs staff members held hostage with fire damage
+200 - Kill a prisoner with fire damage

---Buddies

+75 - Destroy D-Walker
+150 - Critically wound D-Dog, D-Horse or Quiet

---Other

+30 - Critically wound an enemy soldier
+60 - Lose a staff member held hostage by aborting mission 22 (+60 each)
+150 - Destroy a support helicopter
+50,000 - Develop a nuclear weapon

DPG06-----Losing Demon Points-----

The following is a list of actions the players can perform to decrease their Demon Points, grouped by category:

---Fulton extractions

-30 - Fulton extract a common animal
-30 - Fulton extract a critically wounded enemy soldier
-30 - Fulton extract a puppet soldier via helicopter
-30 - Fulton extract a critically wounded enemy soldier
-30 - Fulton extract a Skull
-60 - Fulton extract a rare animal
-60 - Fulton extract a Diamond Dogs staff member
-60 - Fulton extract a prisoner
-120 - Fulton extract a child
-120 - Fulton extract a very rare or extremely rare animal

---Extractions by helicopter

-30 - Extract an enemy soldier via helicopter
-60 - Extract a puppet soldier via helicopter
-60 - Extract a critically wounded enemy via helicopter
-60 - Extract Quiet via helicopter
-120 - Extract a VIP or prisoner via helicopter
-120 - Extract a Diamond Dogs staff member via helicopter
-240 - Extract a child via helicopter

---Trophies

-1,000 - Earn the "Cry Havoc" trophy
-1,000 - Earn the "Speechless" trophy
-5,000 - Earn the "Cleared" trophy
-5,000 - Earn the "Trusty Steed" trophy
-5,000 - Earn the "Man's Best Friend" trophy
-5,000 - Earn the "War Buddy" trophy
-5,000 - Earn the "Reminiscence" trophy
-10,000 - Earn the "Conservation" trophy

---Other

-300 - Visit the Animal Conservation Platform
-1,000 - Dispose of a nuclear weapon
-30,000 - Dispose of ten nuclear weapons
(edited 4 years ago)

AlxCj
4 years ago#3
DPG07-----FAQs-----

1- Does Heroism affect my Demon Points?

No, Heroism does not have any sort of direct effect over your Demon Level or Demon Points. Although some actions that reward you with Heroism also decrease your Demon points.

2- Do actions when playing as other characters have an impact on my Demon Points?

Yes, you can still earn/lose Demon Points when you're playing as other characters. But the consequences of increasing your Demon Level do not apply to them.

3- Can I still gain Demon Points when doing side-ops or during free-roam?

Yes, you can earn/lose Demon Points when you're outside of Main Missions.

4- Can actions taken by my buddies increase my Demon Points?

Yes; explosions, kills, fultons and other actions taken by your buddies increase/decrease your Demon Points.

5- Can I lower my Demon Level?

Yes, you just need to decrease your Demon Points below the amount needed to be on your current level and Snake's horn will shrink back.

6- Extracting DD members at mother base decreases my Demon Points?

No, those "extractions" do not give you any negative Demon Points.

7- Can I grind for Demon Points?

Yes, all actions listed in the previous sections -except the "Earn x Trophy" ones- can be repeated as many times as you want, and they will always reward the player with the same amount of Demon Points.

8- Are there any disadvantages of being a certain Demon Level?

Unlike what some people have been led to believe, Demon Snake does not leave a blood trail enemy soldiers can follow. And as far as we know, the differences between Demon Levels are only aesthetic.

9- Where do I see how much Demon Points do I have?

Unlike Heroism, you cannot see how much Demon Points you have in-game, the only indicator as to how many Demon Points you may have is the current size of Snake's shrapnel-horn

10- Can I shower off Demon Snake's blood?

No, it can only be removed by lowering your Demon Level.

-----Credits-----
Thanks to mikesettokill for helping with the lists, Waldie1877 for helping with the testing of some features and HunkyDoryButt for helping with the new Thresholds section.
(edited 4 years ago)

User Info: XxDarkGamerxX

XxDarkGamerxX
4 years ago#4
What im wondering is.. Do I earn demon points when playing as a different character? Sometimes I just want to shoot and be a demon without turning into demon snake agian.

AlxCj
4 years ago#5
XxDarkGamerxX posted...
What im wondering is.. Do I earn demon points when playing as a different character? Sometimes I just want to shoot and be a demon without turning into demon snake agian.

Sadly, you can still gain Demon points when playing as other characters.

P.S. please check the new FAQs section before asking a question next time, thank you.

User Info: ors_kar

ors_kar
4 years ago#6
question regarding the nuke, I don't know what creating one entails yet but I know I'll have to do it to get the trophy. is disposing of nukes going to be something I can do easily to get my demon points lowered?
PSN: theguitarist

User Info: Jpalleschi

Jpalleschi
4 years ago#7
AlxCj posted...
+200 - Kill a prisoner with fire damage

"Oh thank god. Save me! Wait- What are you pouring on me? IS THIS GAS?"

"Yup."

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

lol

AlxCj
4 years ago#8
ors_kar posted...
question regarding the nuke, I don't know what creating one entails yet but I know I'll have to do it to get the trophy. is disposing of nukes going to be something I can do easily to get my demon points lowered?

I wouldn't say it is easy, specially considering the fact that nukes are related to FOBs and online play, so you never know who you're up against.
I'd say it depends on how good you are in FOB invasions...

Also, to even be able to invade an FOB with a nuke you need to either:

1- have a nuke yourself; or
2- achieve Hero status (150,000 Heroism)
(edited 4 years ago)

User Info: ors_kar

ors_kar
4 years ago#9
I'll probably have hero status easily but if it's related to FOB invasions i'll probably pass on it and just leave building the nuke until last.AlxCj posted...
ors_kar posted...

I wouldn't say it is easy, specially considering the fact that nukes are related to FOBs and online play, so you never know who you're up against.

I'll probably have hero status soon but if it's related to grinding FOB invasions i'll probably pass on it and just leave building the nuke until last.
PSN: theguitarist

AlxCj
4 years ago#10
ors_kar posted...
AlxCj posted...
ors_kar posted...

I'll probably have hero status soon but if it's related to grinding FOB invasions i'll probably pass on it and just leave building the nuke until last.

It can be quite profitable at times though, if the servers are working and you manage to go undetected most of the time.

For example, this guy stole 4 nukes out of a single FOB (who has 4 nukes?!?), that's -4,000 DP right there... (plus %40 progression for the -30,000 bonus)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqXz6q2leJ8
(edited 4 years ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. The Demon Points Mini-Guide v1.1
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers