• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. Who owns the metal gear franchise? Kojima or Konami?
solid_snake_48 6 years ago#1
Does anybody know?
"A weapon to surpass Metal Gear"
Fizzle_Pork 6 years ago#2
Konami, obviously.

Why the hell would would they surrender ownership of a cash cow to an individual?
JFKTV 6 years ago#3
Although Kojima created pretty much everything Metal Gear, it's under ownership of Konami. Sucks for Kojima to not own the intellectual property 'cause Konami will most likely start to ruin the franchise in the coming years.

A better question is does Konami have rights to the FOX Engine?
PSN = JFKTV --- I'm not great at video games, but I'm good enough to beat them. I have music at primaveravills.bandcamp.com
Fizzle_Pork 6 years ago#4
JFKTV posted...
Although Kojima created pretty much everything Metal Gear, it's under ownership of Konami. Sucks for Kojima to not own the intellectual property 'cause Konami will most likely start to ruin the franchise in the coming years.

Kojima is an employee of Konami. Everything he has made is owned by Konami. So, yes, they do.
solid_snake_48 6 years ago#5
yeah i read this somewhere before. If you work for a big company like yahoo or google and you create or invent something, you don't own it, the company does. You have to sign something before you start working there. It stinks i know.
"A weapon to surpass Metal Gear"
GreyFoxCasshern 6 years ago#6
Do you think Kojima really even wants to own Metal Gear? He's been trying to quit since MGS2.
Fizzle_Pork 6 years ago#7
solid_snake_48 posted...
yeah i read this somewhere before. If you work for a big company like yahoo or google and you create or invent something, you don't own it, the company does. You have to sign something before you start working there. It stinks i know.

How old are you?

It has nothing to do with the size of the company. If you are an employee, what you produce you do not own.

If I work for GM and assemble a car does that mean I get to keep it, because I made it?

If I work at Burger King do I get to eat your Whopper just because I made it?
(message deleted)
Fizzle_Pork 6 years ago#9
solid_snake_48 posted...
I was talking about intellectual property rights you imbecile. Of course you don't own the burger you made or the car you assemble at the factory. How old are you?

How is it any different? Employees producing goods do not own those goods. Whether its called an IP or a hamburger its the same.
nelson0928 6 years ago#10
To answer TC's question: Konami.

JFKTV posted...

Fox engine is developed by Konami too.

It shouldn't come off as surprise that a corporation would be the one that owns the franchise and the engine instead of an individual, even when that individual is the director/creator.

But Konami might as well write off MGS as a loss because when people think MGS, they think Kojima. Not Konami.

Sure Konami own the rights, so they can make all the MGS spin offs and reboots they want but they won't sell any where near close compared to a Hideo Kojima game. People aren't going to be rushing to the store to buy an MGS game starring Johnny Sasaki or Meryl as the new "Snake".
  1. Boards
  2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  3. Who owns the metal gear franchise? Kojima or Konami?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A