• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Crew
  3. Ok how is this an MMO?

User Info: antoinejones

antoinejones
4 years ago#1
when the game first was announced and videos were shown it definitely looked like an MMO... but after Gamespots article on the beta.. I dont see it anymore... supposedly you drive around in he open world and never happen across another player in your game unless you invite them? Thats not how MMOs work Ubisoft (whats MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER about a game thats solo unless you invite and then you can only invite maybe up to 16 if that? if thats the case EVERY 8 v 8 shooter is an MMO too like Socom for example)... I imagined driving from new York to LA and seeing lots of different players on the road on the way there. Also figured if they wanted too said players could team up and try to ram me of the road or make my driving difficult.

Also on the videos I noticed despite the game being open world when you race, the race is linear and the path is marked/restricted to where it wants you to go.... whats the point of a world being open if it doesnt apply to the races? at least midnight club. although a crappy game... did that part right..... you could take ANY path you choose from start to finish.

I must say Im really starting to lose interest now
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.

User Info: psychward

psychward
4 years ago#2
In the beta streams that I watched they all seemed to run into random players. Didn't see any inviting or anything or matchmaking or anything like that.

User Info: ReDDevil2112

ReDDevil2112
4 years ago#3
Here's how it works (I was in the beta), you get placed into sessions seamlessly depending on where you are. Sessions have up to 8 players, including yourself. But it's not like you scroll through a list to join a session or something. It's all done behind the scenes. When you first load, you're alone. Then other players fill in the area around you (generally the area in and around a given city, so it's kind of spread out but still in your area). If you drive away, say you leave Chicago and drove to New York, then those players disappear and you see new players crop up around New York. That happens without any on screen notifications and without any break in gameplay. I believe this is the same way Test Drive Unlimited handled it.

While this is meant to mimic an MMO (since you play lots of players without ever changing "servers" or something like that), the reality is that, with only 8 players around a region at one time, you don't often directly encounter other players. Think about how often it happens in Need for Speed Rivals; it's kind of like that. So it's occasional, but it's not like you'll see races happening all around you. It's kind of disappointing, but I guess it's better than constantly being hounded by other drivers. Still, it would be nice if they upped the player count to 16 or something.

Based on the beta, it's a cool approach, but it's definitely not an MMO.
Posted with GameRaven 2.2.1

antoinejones
4 years ago#4
so then if you let sy leave chicago and go o new york and all the chicago players disappear.. then how would exploring with a player you met in chicago work if you two cross into new york together?
My first time and day in Jeuno and the first 6 hours of it is spent staring at a chocobo's butt.

ReDDevil2112
4 years ago#5
To be honest, I haven't tried that, so I'm not sure how it would work.

psychward
4 years ago#6
One of the streams I watched, the player had set a way point pretty far away from where he started. He was following that floating line for a good 30 minutes.

He kept running into the same player along the way. They were basically leap frogging each other the whole time.

I know in a few of the trailers when they pan out and show the whole map at the end you can see players all over the country. Not just 8 of them but every where.

ReDDevil2112
4 years ago#7
psychward posted...
I know in a few of the trailers when they pan out and show the whole map at the end you can see players all over the country. Not just 8 of them but every where.

Yes, but it's fake. They do that to create the illusion that there are players all over the place, but it's not actually like that in game. They do that when you first load the game, you see the names all over the map, but when you look close at the names, they aren't real players. Then they fade away and it's just you on the map, then eventually there are 7 others.

Sorry, only 8 players at a time.

I do still like this solution, though. It's better than, say, GTA online where you leave the city and there's no one around you because everyone in the session is still hanging around the downtown area. At least this way, players are always in your vicinity.

psychward
4 years ago#8
Yeah that's true. Thanks for the info

antoinejones
4 years ago#9
ReDDevil2112 posted...
psychward posted...

Yes, but it's fake. They do that to create the illusion that there are players all over the place, but it's not actually like that in game. They do that when you first load the game, you see the names all over the map, but when you look close at the names, they aren't real players. Then they fade away and it's just you on the map, then eventually there are 7 others.

Sorry, only 8 players at a time.

I do still like this solution, though. It's better than, say, GTA online where you leave the city and there's no one around you because everyone in the session is still hanging around the downtown area. At least this way, players are always in your vicinity.

ok that made no sense first you say that map is fake followed by there are ALWAYS players in your vicinity? >.>

As for it being fake.. umm false advertisement yet again? because Im sure thats what ppl watching the trailer and who would buy the game would think. I remember the days when companies faced lawsuits for things like that

User Info: wilsonbdarnit

wilsonbdarnit
4 years ago#10
It still seems like an MMO as much as a racing game could be to me.
  1. Boards
  2. The Crew
  3. Ok how is this an MMO?
  • Topic Archived