• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Warframe
  3. Is Warframe "FuN"?
Juri-Han 3 months ago#1
Is Warframe fun?

I'm looking for general opinions and I am quite genuinely curious as to why so many play this game and well is this game fun? If so what makes it fun what is fun for you?
InfernoSD 3 months ago#2
It's an action game first and foremost. You shoot things, stab things, and cast magic abilities at things. You have a very wide collection of weapons, abilities, and tools to fight with, and they're all available at the same time. In this respect Warframe already elevates itself above most of the action genre.

The closest comparison I can think of is Destiny. Destiny has lots of guns, but that's it. It has only one type of melee weapon, no companions, no gear wheel, no meaningful consumables, very limited access to vehicles. Abilities come in the form of a rechargable grenade, a punch attack, and a super. The super is the only thing that differs meaningfully between classes, and the number of these available is considerably less than the number of frames available in Warframe. Destiny 2 added an additional ability to each class, but as I recall some of those were as basic as a dodge button. Dodging in Warframe is free. What I'm trying to say here is that practically all games on the market are iterative upon long-standing gameplay structures like military shooters and fantasy RPGs, whereas Warframe cuts its own path. Other games lock the player in to pre-existing ideas of what gameplay should be, whereas Warframe holds nothing back from the player.

On top of that, Warframe offers a wide variety of gameplay modes, again more than what any other game seems to have. Some modes are more mobile, some are more stationary, varying types of objectives, outdoors, indoors, open world, space. In many cases you're dealing with multiple separate objectives at once, like fueling and protecting excavators, collecting reactant, scanning a synthesis target, and fending off assassin-type enemies at the same time. There is still a great deal of repetition in this, but I find it generally superior to games where you play a constrained story mission repeatedly. Randomized maps go a long way to keeping it from becoming stale.

Over a longer timescale, Warframe is about building things up over time. You improve your overall capabilities by unlocking new frames, weapons, vehicles, and other gear, and you continue to enhance them over time. You also build up your clan dojo. You also unlock cosmetics which go toward the same feeling. I think this idea of building things up taps into the mind of a specific type of person, so it doesn't appeal to everyone. If you don't like other games with this type of numbers-go-up gameplay -- and I'm not sure which games, maybe GTAO or Farmville or some phone games -- then it stands to reason that you won't like this element of Warframe either.

There's plenty more to be said about it, but those are my main points.
Juri-Han 3 months ago#3
InfernoSD posted...
It's an action game first and foremost. You shoot things, stab things, and cast magic abilities at things. You have a very wide collection of weapons, abilities, and tools to fight with, and they're all available at the same time. In this respect Warframe already elevates itself above most of the action genre.

The closest comparison I can think of is Destiny. Destiny has lots of guns, but that's it. It has only one type of melee weapon, no companions, no gear wheel, no meaningful consumables, very limited access to vehicles. Abilities come in the form of a rechargable grenade, a punch attack, and a super. The super is the only thing that differs meaningfully between classes, and the number of these available is considerably less than the number of frames available in Warframe. Destiny 2 added an additional ability to each class, but as I recall some of those were as basic as a dodge button. Dodging in Warframe is free. What I'm trying to say here is that practically all games on the market are iterative upon long-standing gameplay structures like military shooters and fantasy RPGs, whereas Warframe cuts its own path. Other games lock the player in to pre-existing ideas of what gameplay should be, whereas Warframe holds nothing back from the player.

On top of that, Warframe offers a wide variety of gameplay modes, again more than what any other game seems to have. Some modes are more mobile, some are more stationary, varying types of objectives, outdoors, indoors, open world, space. In many cases you're dealing with multiple separate objectives at once, like fueling and protecting excavators, collecting reactant, scanning a synthesis target, and fending off assassin-type enemies at the same time. There is still a great deal of repetition in this, but I find it generally superior to games where you play a constrained story mission repeatedly. Randomized maps go a long way to keeping it from becoming stale.

Over a longer timescale, Warframe is about building things up over time. You improve your overall capabilities by unlocking new frames, weapons, vehicles, and other gear, and you continue to enhance them over time. You also build up your clan dojo. You also unlock cosmetics which go toward the same feeling. I think this idea of building things up taps into the mind of a specific type of person, so it doesn't appeal to everyone. If you don't like other games with this type of numbers-go-up gameplay -- and I'm not sure which games, maybe GTAO or Farmville or some phone games -- then it stands to reason that you won't like this element of Warframe either.

There's plenty more to be said about it, but those are my main points.
Let me ask this again is it "FUN" it can have as many modes as it wants but are the modes FUN? Like a lot of times you find yourself doing the same thing and depending on your warframe you can just nuke everything and you just lather, rinse and repeat.

Also some modes are already existing modes with a bit of a twist and sometimes that makes them worse like there are a good amount of modes where I'd say I hate running them and I actively avoid. Archwing missions, spy, anything on Kuva Fotress but more so "disruption" and I'm not too keen on recuses I don't out right hate them but i'm not too found of them to where I can be like "OMG this is so fun" it's more of I'm here lets get this over with.
LeadPipeCinche 3 months ago#4
Juri-Han posted...
it's more of I'm here lets get this over with.

Feel same way about Rescue missions but it's because the rescuey glitches alot. Its a get in and get out mission. Yet you got randos searching every corner for stuff. While you run to the extraction the rescuey is following the rando around. GET to extraction!!!! Do your searching in Survival or Extermination.
InfernoSD 3 months ago#5
Juri-Han posted...
Let me ask this again is it "FUN" it can have as many modes as it wants but are the modes FUN? Like a lot of times you find yourself doing the same thing and depending on your warframe you can just nuke everything and you just lather, rinse and repeat.
Yes it's fun. Many games are not.

If you want more of a challenge, try playing harder modes like Steel Path, Arbitration, or Lichs/Sisters. Those can be pretty satisfying.

Also some modes are already existing modes with a bit of a twist and sometimes that makes them worse like there are a good amount of modes where I'd say I hate running them and I actively avoid. Archwing missions, spy, anything on Kuva Fotress but more so "disruption" and I'm not too keen on recuses I don't out right hate them but i'm not too found of them to where I can be like "OMG this is so fun" it's more of I'm here lets get this over with.
Yeah, they can't all be winners. But everyone has their preferences, and that's the nice thing about having so many options.

Initially I disliked Disruption a lot, but it's one of my favorites now. Kuva Survival with void fissures is nice too.
Plazma_Storm 3 months ago#6
Juri-Han posted...
I'm looking for general opinions and I am quite genuinely curious as to why so many play this game and well is this game fun? If so what makes it fun what is fun for you?
Well to be perfectly honest, based on some of your responses, it seems you have some experience/idea of what the game entails.

Personally, I like it for the fast paced combat and movement, and the massive amounts of customization available. It's not for nothing that people refer to it affectionately as Fashon Frame. In the end though, I must say that it has its shortcomings too. Though it's gotten much better than it used to be, the storytelling is...rough at times...especially for those of us who began early on, because we bypassed a lot of later implemented story additions and features (planet relays for example). It really depends a lot on what you define as fun: I'd hack and slash style gameplay and nearly endless customization is your idea of fun? You have just hit the jackpot. If not, well, it does its shooter aspect well too. Fancy being a merchant? Yep, go ahead. The list goes on. Hope it helps!
Juri-Han 3 months ago#7
Plazma_Storm posted...
Well to be perfectly honest, based on some of your responses, it seems you have some experience/idea of what the game entails.

Personally, I like it for the fast paced combat and movement, and the massive amounts of customization available. It's not for nothing that people refer to it affectionately as Fashon Frame. In the end though, I must say that it has its shortcomings too. Though it's gotten much better than it used to be, the storytelling is...rough at times...especially for those of us who began early on, because we bypassed a lot of later implemented story additions and features (planet relays for example). It really depends a lot on what you define as fun: I'd hack and slash style gameplay and nearly endless customization is your idea of fun? You have just hit the jackpot. If not, well, it does its shooter aspect well too. Fancy being a merchant? Yep, go ahead. The list goes on. Hope it helps!
It does for me I do find being a merchant in this game appealing like lot of times I just grind out stuff and hang in trade chat.
xSHEPERDx 2 months ago#8
Biggest flaws are rookie designers, the f2p 'cash grab' core system mechanics, terrible balancing, wonky AI and gameplay being too fast for its own good (which further complicates balancing)

Despite this, the game has massive potential. If they had more experienced leads and a top notch creative director they could have struck gold.
(edited 2 months ago)
Horridhal 2 months ago#9
xSHEPERDx posted...
Biggest flaws are rookie designers

They aren’t really rookies. Add to that they’ve implemented some damn crazy effects into the game.

xSHEPERDx posted...
the f2p 'cash grab' core system mechanics

Compared to most F2P games Warframe is surprisingly fair. It requires grinding, no doubt, but most F2P games don’t let you trade stuff for the pay currency and, in general, in F2P games certain things are always locked behind some sort of paywall. Warframe, aside from cosmetic items, gives you the ability to earn everything through playing the game.

xSHEPERDx posted...
terrible balancing, wonky AI

Both of these are fair criticisms. Balancing of enemies compared to Frames is horrendous, going from being a massive joke of how easy it is to a ridiculous race to dps a heavy down at higher levels by overcoming their huge amounts of armor before they squish you fairly easily.

xSHEPERDx posted...
If they had more experienced leads and a top notch creative director they could have struck gold.

They did, bud. This game is on 3 platforms and has funded DE to a huge extent. It’s showing it’s age a bit with a mildly lower day to day player base compared to when it first launched with the PS4 and XOne, but I still have relatively little issue finding people on most nodes I enter.

To the question posed of if it is fun, it depends on personal preference. I generally play it for a few months, then leave it for 6 or so, then come back. I have fun when I am playing it and I set it aside when it becomes tedious.
I'm not the nicest person you'll meet.
#'s are stupid. I don't watch YouTube links posted in threads.
Juri-Han posted...

Why are you still s***posting about Warframe if its not something you enjoy? Do you not feel confident in your own feelings and need some echoes? Get on with your life.
This is a cool sig
  1. Boards
  2. Warframe
  3. Is Warframe "FuN"?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A