• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
  3. How good is ToS if you never played it?

User Info: katieelizabeth

katieelizabeth
1 year ago#1
ToS is often said to be one of the finest Tales games in the series, but sometimes, people tend to rank based on their memory and nostalgia, and not by the actual merits of the game as if it were compared to newer games released after it.

Is ToS really that good when played for the first time in 2018, or is the praise mostly due to how it made you feel when you first played it 10 years ago? I.e. would you recommend it over other Tales games even still?

I've played Vesperia a very, very long time ago, and at that time, I thought it was great. I have no real way to verify if I would think the same thing if I replayed it unfortunately.

I've played Berseria too, and the characters and story were really quite amazing... perhaps even better than Vesperia or at least on its equal. The maps and battles do get boring/repetitive though. My memories of the combat and environments in Vesperia were better, but again, I have no way to actually compare the two in 2018 as I can't play Vesperia anymore. It's possible that the combat and environments were very close to Vesperia but my future self has different feelings or expectations compared to before.

I'm curious what I would think of this game.

User Info: Kratos15354

Kratos15354
1 year ago#2
Being an older game, you need to go into it expecting the graphics and animations to be a little rough. The combat systems seem to keep being improved and added on to with each successive game, and Symphonia, being the first (maybe second or third, I don't remember) Tales of game with a 3d battle system, lacks many features and polish that some of the later games have, most notably the absence of free run. It still makes for a great starting point for getting into the series, but it will definitely feel like a step back and down if you've played some of the later games first.

User Info: katieelizabeth

katieelizabeth
1 year ago#3
Kratos15354 posted...
Being an older game, you need to go into it expecting the graphics and animations to be a little rough. The combat systems seem to keep being improved and added on to with each successive game, and Symphonia, being the first (maybe second or third, I don't remember) Tales of game with a 3d battle system, lacks many features and polish that some of the later games have, most notably the absence of free run. It still makes for a great starting point for getting into the series, but it will definitely feel like a step back and down if you've played some of the later games first.

Ahh, thanks for that clear and honest feedback. That was sort of what I thought when I looked at the reviews for Chronicles, but none of the reviewers touched on comparisons to later tales games at all and just kept refering to it as a classic or commented on the HD tweaks, which wasn't helpful for a first-time player. And of course, the older ToS reviews have that decade-old perspective tied to them, which colours what we might think of it today.

It might still be worth playing if the story is good, but at least I can adjust expectations accordingly. Are the skits up to the same level as the newer games at least? That's my favourite part of the Tales series I think.

User Info: Kratos15354

Kratos15354
1 year ago#4
The skits are good, but not voiced.

User Info: Nynz

Nynz
1 year ago#5
I am not sure how unbiased of a response I can give, but I played this for the first time (still currently playing as we speak) starting up last month. It was a bit overwhelming and jarring at first since the battlefield is deceptive. You are on a 2-D track with the monster/enemy you have selected so there is no free run or true manueverability to run around with as I was used to with previous Tales games. It is not bad once you get used to it, but it did take me a few hours to. Also the spell queue gets very frustrating at times with trying to cast damage or healing spells - especially using the casters together, but again it can be avoided (somewhat and not as effectively) with the R2 and L2 tech options. If you played Final Fantasy X-2 it is like that, having to wait for one to go before the next, while enemies can still attack as you are waiting to cast.

The story is not bad, I have found it enjoyable although it did diminish some later Tales entries for me after playing, which made me a little sad. As Kratos said the skits are okay, but without the voicing they do lose a little impact. They were not, to me, as enjoyable as Tales of the Abyss' silent skits.

In the end the game is certainly worth playing at least once, whether or not I will have the desire or drive to Platinum with all the playthroughs required is another story that probably will not happen, haha.
Arrogance destroys the footholds of victory. - Byakuya Kuchiki
PSN: Nynzy

User Info: FooFighters25

FooFighters25
1 year ago#6
Kratos15354 posted...

Good to see you're still around, man. Your knowledge on the game is legendary.
NNID - TheRawkHawk
PSN - rokkenwithdokken

User Info: _Itachi_Uchiha_

_Itachi_Uchiha_
1 year ago#7
Well I would say that I enjoyed ToS very much when I first played it on Gamecube, and enjoyed it again when I played the PS3 Chronicles version. I've played a couple other Tales games subsequently, and none of them seemed to have the same charm. Graces f and Vesperia were fun enough but didn't quite have the magic ToS did. Dawn of the New World was kinda garbage. Xillia I didn't like at all either. Had no interest in some of the more recent releases (Berseria and that other one I can't think of right now)

User Info: Yuankafai

Yuankafai
1 year ago#8
Personally, i've played ToS since day one and it's still better than most of the Tales entries (especially the post Vesperia era).

Finished Berseria last month and i thought it was good but i found that the battle system and the game system are not as good/deep as Symphonia's.
Yeah there's no free run in ToS and the overlimit is harder to handle but the game is much more gratifying because you cannot trigger a Mystic Artes by holding a single button after an arcane (for example).

Actually, Symphonia's gameplay as a lot of depth. Most of the players didn't really figure how good it is IMHO, they tend to see the tip of the iceberg (just found out something new yesterday).

All in all Symphonia's story is better than Berseria but Berseria's characters are much better (except the antagonists).

User Info: cypherusuh

cypherusuh
1 year ago#9
I played Tales of Eternia (2D) and Tales of the Abyss (3D)
ToS battle is somewhat in between. It looks like TotA, but it's actually like ToE AKA action linear battle
I would say it's pretty rough since it is the transitional title from 2D to 3D. A lot of "cutscene" feels awkward and not smooth, battle feels not that good since you can't go sideways, and minor inconvenience on overworld camera rotation which is extremely slow.
Also, it has the worst mysterious chef skit

8/10
-IGN

User Info: Number090684

Number090684
1 year ago#10
FooFighters25 posted...
Kratos15354 posted...

Good to see you're still around, man. Your knowledge on the game is legendary.

Actually, the skits in the original ToS are voiced, but only in Japanese. So, if you want to hear voiced skits in this version of the game, make sure the voice language option in the Customize menu is in the original Japanese setting.
US N Switch "Number" FC SW-3804-3177-9797
US PS3 / PS4 / PS Vita PSN: Number090684
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Symphonia Chronicles
  3. How good is ToS if you never played it?
  • Topic Archived