• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. The Evil Within
  3. SPOILERS Story Synopsis / Analysis SPOILERS

User Info: raziel_vampye

raziel_vampye
5 years ago#1
After clocking in 15 hours and 30 minutes of game time, along with 106 deaths the Evil Within is now complete! I played it through on survivor difficulty, though i'm assuming unless you play the DLC with the Kidman there arn't any extra cutscenes.

Anyways, onto how I think the story unfolded-

Ruvik as a young boy is something of a scientist, but after resentfull villagers burn him and his sister alive, only he survives. Spurned on by the hatred for those that killed his sister and for what they did to his body, he starts work on a machine to help with his revenge.

Que Dr. Jimenez, who funds his project but steals all of the glory. Jimenez is also being funded and controlled by another organisation that it appears Kidman also works for. Ruvik's brain gets used as the catalyst for a machine that he was building and this is where things go bad.

Sebastian, Joseph and "rookie" Kidman all enter into the hospital where the experiements are taking place and also end up getting hooked into the machine. After over-coming Ruvik's, or possibly Jimenez's mind-games Sebastian and Kidman manage to un-hook from the machine. Leslie can also be seen running away right at the end but as Sebastian has to double take thanks to a headache you can't really be sure if that was in his head or not.

Judging from the ending, it seems that everything after entering the mental hospital for the very first time is actually all inside the minds of the main characters. Clearly the time travel between Ruviks past and his "ideal" world where everything is destroyed is all fabricated as by the end of the game the city is back to normal.

Now, my main questions are -

1) Why does Ruvik make this machine? Is it to live with his sister forever in kind of dream state, or does he plan to use it to control the minds of everyone else in the world? If it's the latter, what's his motivation? A sort of "If I can't control my own mind, no-one can" kind of eal?

2) Is there any mention to the organisation that Kidman and Jimenez are working for? Someone wants this machine built and using Leslie seems to be the key.

3) What connection does Leslie have with the rest of the cast, or is he just a walking MacGuffin?

4) Leslie is able to "mimic" another persons state of mind (as shown in his character model bio in the model viewer), so is this why Ruvic wants to keep him alive? If Leslie dies, does the machine break?

5) Why does Ruvik want everyone inside his dream world to die? I'm assuming so that he can get back to dreaming about his sister without any interuption, or does the fear of dying somehow fuel the machine?

6) Do you think Ruvik and his sister were lovers? Their meeting in the barn reminded me a lot of the scene in "Of Mice and Men" where Lenny is stroking the girls hair. Maybe a coincidence?]

7) Where the missing people cases that Sebastian's wife investigating involved with the mental hospital? It seems like his daughter was killed by Ruvik/Mendez as his wife was getting too close in working out what was going on, but the game is very vague about linking the two. It says that Sebastian was sent case files about his wifes investigation, but you can't actually see them afaik.

8) Who the hell is the guy in the cell next to you in the "other world" mental hospital?

9) Do you think Sebastian has been to that mental hospital before, after the death of his daughter? The nurse seems to be some kind of mental focal point for him and it's not untill Leslie leads Sebastian out of the "other world" pysche ward does anything bad seem to happen to him there.

If anyone has any answers, i'd love to hear them! If anyone has any questions I can check with the model viewer and my messages/diarys unlocked pages in game to see if we can fill in some blanks.
PS3 + PS4 + VITA Username: Zaxlor ~=!=~ Hearhstone Battletag: Zaxlor#2593

User Info: mark311

mark311
5 years ago#2
My questions are

*spoilers*

When Sebastian wakes up the bodies in the hospital were still there which does that mean Ruvik was able to travel into the real world? Joseph gets shot but did he actually die? How exactly did Sebastian get hooked up to Ruviks machine in the first place? I had quite a few beverages while I was playing this so I'm sure I missed some important things.
Skateboarding has ruined my life.
PSN ~ themarkcooper

raziel_vampye
5 years ago#3
mark311 posted...
My questions are

*spoilers*

When Sebastian wakes up the bodies in the hospital were still there which does that mean Ruvik was able to travel into the real world? Joseph gets shot but did he actually die? How exactly did Sebastian get hooked up to Ruviks machine in the first place? I had quite a few beverages while I was playing this so I'm sure I missed some important things.

I'd assume that the bodys of the three cops that Sebsatian watches on the TV monitors get placed there by the organisation wanting the machine. As soon as Sebsation enters that monitor room, he's basically "hooked up" and starting to dream. When Ruvik leaps through the TV and trys to stab Sebastion in the face is when he's slipped into the machine in the real world, while in the dream world he's being led to believe that Ruvik is actually real.

As for Joseph, it looks like he's done for. I don't think you see him in any of the bathtubs at the end with Sebastion and Sebastion was pretty adament that Kidman had killed him. Maybe that gets explained in her DLC?

User Info: Decoy2man

Decoy2man
5 years ago#4
KIdman 2 part story DLCs will shed more light, untill then i am gonna hold onto my theories.
Most of the game is vague with zero explanations and Model viewer reveals more than game itself.

1.Yes who is the guy in the cell?
2.Why Seb shot himself standing alongside Kidman?
3. Who is the nurse, why she is helping, her connection??
4. Why Seb's home was burnt like other places?

What is the greater reality, the one we know or the one in dreams, between heaven, the sky, the earth in the Twilight Zone.

:)
Suki na Mono wa Suki dakara Shouganai!!

User Info: vitonemesis

vitonemesis
5 years ago#5
Jesus F Christ.... That's the story? Ugh.....

User Info: mark311

mark311
5 years ago#6
I hope this isn't like The 3rd Birthday where we never really find anything out lol
Skateboarding has ruined my life.
PSN ~ themarkcooper

User Info: Clouddffvii

Clouddffvii
5 years ago#7
We don't see Joseph's body, so it's possible Kidman didn't kill him.

raziel_vampye
5 years ago#8
vitonemesis posted...
Jesus F Christ.... That's the story? Ugh.....

Yeh, that's how I felt at the end :(

Was hoping for a big, lengthy cut-scene at the end that had some exposition. At least a sort of final show-down with Ruvik. You almost spend more time with Leslie at the end of the game than Ruvik and no-one explains why they're doing anything.

If Ruvik's motive was to re-create a mindscape where he could have incest with his sister for all eternity, i'd have prefered that than him making some big Pyschonauts brain chamber to force people to re-live moments from Silent Hill and Saw.

User Info: Blueflamewar

Blueflamewar
5 years ago#9
Did anyone figure what was up with the doc brother? The one who ran the hospice who get up after being killed?

That was so weird...

raziel_vampye
5 years ago#10
Blueflamewar posted...
Did anyone figure what was up with the doc brother? The one who ran the hospice who get up after being killed?

That was so weird...

I think that's to do with the machine linking everyone's minds together. Jimenez is most likely in control of it, much like when he's got Leslie hooked up and starts fiddling around with brain wave frequencies. It's odd that it dosn't happen again and you don't see any "ghosting" of any of the other bosses though.
  1. Boards
  2. The Evil Within
  3. SPOILERS Story Synopsis / Analysis SPOILERS
  • Topic Archived