• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
  3. So about the ending... Spoilers, obviously.

User Info: BiZzArR0

BiZzArR0
7 years ago#1
I guess I'm a little let down. I expected some implication that this was all about the kids having way too active imaginations, but they weren't?

I mean, it was implied that The Frankasarus was shrunk (as in the the monster battle footage was just toys?) and even the supposed aliens were hanging out in the diner after... But the entire thing about Frank and S-chan just kind of went over my head. I think one is supposed to believe that the kids misunderstood Frank being from out of town or a foreigner as as being an alien, but it doesn't explain his behavior.

Why isn't there an epilogue chapter!?
PRO TIP: Use your signature to display a witty quote or saying.

User Info: Kayube

Kayube
7 years ago#2
I think it might be kind of a Calvin and Hobbes sort of thing, where it's sort of ambiguous as to whether it was real or imagined... there's evidence to support either viewpoint really.
This signature intentionally left blank.

User Info: ErinlsADrunk

ErinlsADrunk
7 years ago#3
Not to get super dark, but I kind of think the story is really about Shota's parents fighting all the time and getting divorced.

His mom constantly berates his father for not being more successfully and merely being a laundromat operator. He concocts a story in which he is a popular transfer student solving a mystery where his father turns out to be a super hero and makes his mom fall in love with him again. The monsters are metaphor for his problems at home.
Shazbot! <http://i.imgur.com/yDmaq4B.jpg>

User Info: tayaleoni

tayaleoni
7 years ago#4
I disagree about the divorce thing.

It's basically a bunch of kids pretending that the tv show that is being filmed in their town is real monsters. The whole game you're trying to figure out if it's just your imagination or not. By the end you know that it's not real, but the ending with S-chan leaves it a little ambiguous.

User Info: peacefulchaos

peacefulchaos
7 years ago#5
The implication I got was that the monsters weren't real, hence the fog machines and the woman stating clearly that the airplane was just a prop. However, I felt like the last fifteen minutes of the game made it pretty clear that Sohta's father actually is a galactic hero.

Frank is super eccentric and it appears the aliens assumed that the "Kaiju attacks" around Earth were real, when they were actually just TV shows. The aliens are advanced but obviously not very smart, especially about basic common sense. When Sohta's father as the hero delivered the final blow to the alien, which was a machine enlarged from a smaller form you'll recall, he likely damaged its core or whatever, basically he drained its energy and it shrunk and became inanimate again.

Frank was surprised that Sohta's father was the hero, since he awakened Sohta's potential right before the battle broke out. For whatever reason Frank was set on his goal of deporting everyone, but the little girl who has a crush on Sohta intervened in the end, though with a somewhat sinister note.

So, tl;dr, no, the Friday Monsters weren't real, but the battle at the end between Sohta's father and the last monster was. The opening sequence of the game even pretty much tells you the ending, describing the giant heroes like fathers who would do anything to protect their family. Seeing his son in danger was the last push Sohta's father, who also assumed his TV audition was an actual entrance exam to become Earth's guardian, needed to finally man up.
Now playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Ni no Kuni, Popolocrois, Lord of Apocalypse

User Info: fr4nz

fr4nz
7 years ago#6
peacefulchaos posted...
The implication I got was that the monsters weren't real, hence the fog machines and the woman stating clearly that the airplane was just a prop. However, I felt like the last fifteen minutes of the game made it pretty clear that Sohta's father actually is a galactic hero.

Frank is super eccentric and it appears the aliens assumed that the "Kaiju attacks" around Earth were real, when they were actually just TV shows. The aliens are advanced but obviously not very smart, especially about basic common sense. When Sohta's father as the hero delivered the final blow to the alien, which was a machine enlarged from a smaller form you'll recall, he likely damaged its core or whatever, basically he drained its energy and it shrunk and became inanimate again.

Frank was surprised that Sohta's father was the hero, since he awakened Sohta's potential right before the battle broke out. For whatever reason Frank was set on his goal of deporting everyone, but the little girl who has a crush on Sohta intervened in the end, though with a somewhat sinister note.

So, tl;dr, no, the Friday Monsters weren't real, but the battle at the end between Sohta's father and the last monster was. The opening sequence of the game even pretty much tells you the ending, describing the giant heroes like fathers who would do anything to protect their family. Seeing his son in danger was the last push Sohta's father, who also assumed his TV audition was an actual entrance exam to become Earth's guardian, needed to finally man up.

thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've also understood it like that.
http://www.fr4nz.be
  1. Boards
  2. Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale
  3. So about the ending... Spoilers, obviously.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A