Just done a bit of scripting experiment

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. FIFA 14
  3. Just done a bit of scripting experiment

User Info: Silent_21_Snake

Silent_21_Snake
4 years ago#1
To cut a long story short, i've become so frustrated with the scripting in this game that the latest screw over prompted me to abandon my day and hash out a viable way to overcome the outrageous scripting.

Every once in a while, no matter who i have (Neymar, Gotze, Bakkali, it really is irrelevant) the game pre-determines the result before you or the AI has even kicked off. I experience this every once in a while, a game which i seem to be insanely quick and make the AI look pathetic, then the next week my players fall apart like the jigsaw in a box and everything goes the AI's way. I literally just had this in a game with Everton:

I played it, first game: 29 shots - 2 shots, score, 1-2
Infuriated, i hit Rematch.. a further 7 more times. I recorded my results:
Game 1: 1-2
Game 2: 1-2
Game 3: 1-2
Game 4: 1-2
Game 5: 1-2
Game 6: 1-2
Game 7: 1-2

I rotated the squad, changed the formation, switched the tactics, nothing mattered. The next game, a champions league group game against Dortmund i won 3-0 and they had more shots and possession than me, but, the game kept piling luck on top of me (i scored a goal from a FK that struck the wall and the crossbar and still went in)

Came to the conclusion that the game handicaps at it's own will and you can spot this within the first few seconds of starting a match. Again, i don't mind losing if i've played poorly and deserve to lose, but, it is transparently scripted to the point that i see no reason to spend £50 million on 90+ rated players who on the day will play like amateurs purely because of the scripting, then the next week, playing like Gods.
What i did after the 7th match (all 6 mins long on world class) was i switched off my PS3, then reloaded. I popped back on and played the Everton game again, 8th time the charm, won the game 2-0. Didn't play any better, didn't change anything, but the previously super human GK and ball-glue-feet for the AI was gone and the game felt balanced.

Comparing this to FFXIII, for those who played that, there is a transformation catalyst called Trapzehodren which you need 6 of to acquire all 6 characters ultimate weapons. The trick was, if the 'Toise wasn't dropping Traps to turn off your PS3 and reboot it, which would readjust an internal counter and up your chances of getting more drops. So, essentially break the loop of not getting any drop rates. Same applies with Fifa 14, the scripting i believe from my experiment is done with an internal counter, that after a certain amount of games the game will physically force you into losing, no matter what you do. Since switching the PS3 off and back on again, the scripting seems to go once you reenter Career mode. For those like me utterly infuriated by the ferocious stupidity of the scripting, i advise you to do that. On a normal day, i wouldn't have bothered redoing the same game 8 times, but, that is how monstrously frustrated i've become with this game that i just want to overcome it's corrupted gameplay.
"In my restless dreams. I see that town..Silent Hill"

User Info: B467

B467
4 years ago#2
Silent_21_Snake posted...
To cut a long story short, i've become so frustrated with the scripting in this game that the latest screw over prompted me to abandon my day and hash out a viable way to overcome the outrageous scripting.

Every once in a while, no matter who i have (Neymar, Gotze, Bakkali, it really is irrelevant) the game pre-determines the result before you or the AI has even kicked off. I experience this every once in a while, a game which i seem to be insanely quick and make the AI look pathetic, then the next week my players fall apart like the jigsaw in a box and everything goes the AI's way. I literally just had this in a game with Everton:

I played it, first game: 29 shots - 2 shots, score, 1-2
Infuriated, i hit Rematch.. a further 7 more times. I recorded my results:
Game 1: 1-2
Game 2: 1-2
Game 3: 1-2
Game 4: 1-2
Game 5: 1-2
Game 6: 1-2
Game 7: 1-2

I rotated the squad, changed the formation, switched the tactics, nothing mattered. The next game, a champions league group game against Dortmund i won 3-0 and they had more shots and possession than me, but, the game kept piling luck on top of me (i scored a goal from a FK that struck the wall and the crossbar and still went in)

Came to the conclusion that the game handicaps at it's own will and you can spot this within the first few seconds of starting a match. Again, i don't mind losing if i've played poorly and deserve to lose, but, it is transparently scripted to the point that i see no reason to spend £50 million on 90+ rated players who on the day will play like amateurs purely because of the scripting, then the next week, playing like Gods.
What i did after the 7th match (all 6 mins long on world class) was i switched off my PS3, then reloaded. I popped back on and played the Everton game again, 8th time the charm, won the game 2-0. Didn't play any better, didn't change anything, but the previously super human GK and ball-glue-feet for the AI was gone and the game felt balanced.

Comparing this to FFXIII, for those who played that, there is a transformation catalyst called Trapzehodren which you need 6 of to acquire all 6 characters ultimate weapons. The trick was, if the 'Toise wasn't dropping Traps to turn off your PS3 and reboot it, which would readjust an internal counter and up your chances of getting more drops. So, essentially break the loop of not getting any drop rates. Same applies with Fifa 14, the scripting i believe from my experiment is done with an internal counter, that after a certain amount of games the game will physically force you into losing, no matter what you do. Since switching the PS3 off and back on again, the scripting seems to go once you reenter Career mode. For those like me utterly infuriated by the ferocious stupidity of the scripting, i advise you to do that. On a normal day, i wouldn't have bothered redoing the same game 8 times, but, that is how monstrously frustrated i've become with this game that i just want to overcome it's corrupted gameplay.

What l did was use the press conference and Motivate my team which had me winning games again

User Info: a-witty-name

a-witty-name
4 years ago#3
I had a similarish experience with FIFA 12's career mode simulation. I was Man Utd and played 3-5-2, two goalkeepers as the strikers, Michael Owen at centre back (to see if he still gets on the scoresheet regardless of position) and an outfield player in goal. Simulated the match, Man Utd won 3-0, Owen scored.

User Info: hangar19

hangar19
4 years ago#4
Great post OP. Sounds like the scripting is even worse than FIFA 13 which is why, for the first time in years, I haven't bought this years fifa. Even more frustrating is the lack of acknowledgment on the EA forums - in fact even talking about scripting had been banned there! They're developers supposedly investigated scripting and came up blank. What a joke, when both the anecdotal and empirical evidence clearly prices otherwise, to anyone with half a brain.

Why ea have coded such blatant predetermined outcomes into the single player game is beyond me. Online I can understand (but still don't agree with), to give noobs some success. No point playing anymore fifa releases until this is gone, as resetting the console every 5 games or so is not much fun.

Silent_21_Snake
4 years ago#5
a-witty-name posted...
I had a similarish experience with FIFA 12's career mode simulation. I was Man Utd and played 3-5-2, two goalkeepers as the strikers, Michael Owen at centre back (to see if he still gets on the scoresheet regardless of position) and an outfield player in goal. Simulated the match, Man Utd won 3-0, Owen scored.

Exactly, it is quite literally as though the game just decides the outcome of a match before the game has even happened. Been doing similar things now, just simulating, feels pointless trying to win sometimes when the game has already determined the outcome no matter what you do. A 60 rated striker can be Messi if the game wants you to win, likewise a 90 rated GK can have such godawful decision making not becoming of a professional footballer purposefully because the game has chosen this fixture as the one you will lose. Just the most frustrating thing.

Silent_21_Snake
4 years ago#6
hangar19 posted...
Great post OP. Sounds like the scripting is even worse than FIFA 13 which is why, for the first time in years, I haven't bought this years fifa. Even more frustrating is the lack of acknowledgment on the EA forums - in fact even talking about scripting had been banned there! They're developers supposedly investigated scripting and came up blank. What a joke, when both the anecdotal and empirical evidence clearly prices otherwise, to anyone with half a brain.

Why ea have coded such blatant predetermined outcomes into the single player game is beyond me. Online I can understand (but still don't agree with), to give noobs some success. No point playing anymore fifa releases until this is gone, as resetting the console every 5 games or so is not much fun.

No idea am afraid buddy, wish i knew, completely devoids the point of physically playing the game when the outcome is out of your hands. It's like playing a decision based RPG where all the decisions are already decided for you, just makes no sense. So infuriating playing amazing football, carving chances at will with a squad littered with 90 rated talent, up against average sides barely scraping 40% possession and yet they score in the 45th and 90th minute with their only 2 shots which are both from deflected rebounds, and win the game 2-1 with their GK making 15 saves and getting man of the match while my shots are like magnetized to the crossbar/post/gloves.

I keep getting mad about it when playing but now am just deflated by it. Tired of beating Barcelona 4-0 then losing 2-1 to Yeovil just because the game has decided i've won enough games now and that its my turn to lose. It'd be really exciting if they didn't tamper with the scripting, sure my squad would probably win every game but they'd win every game because of their talent level; the money i invested in creating the squad and on my own ability and merit. Even winning feels tainted because you can see plain as day that something is amiss with the match, that things are grossly in your favour or grossly in the AIs favour.

Honestly not surprised to hear EA have banned people for mentioning scripting in their forums, just disappointing to hear since their lack of acknowledgement suggests so patch is coming for it any time soon. Yeah resetting the console every few games to circumnavigate the predetermined outcome isn't any fun and pretty much kills all desire to want to put the disc back in, sadly looks like the only way to really get a work around. Aside from boycotting the product, which, far as next year goes, be a game i'll avoid. I absolutely love football, but not loved Fifa for a little while now, fastly becoming a chore to play and EA have nobody to blame but themselves really for putting out a sub par game every year for at least the last 3, think 10 was the last Fifa i actually enjoyed. Scripting just has got to go!

hangar19
4 years ago#7
Silent_21_Snake posted...
hangar19 posted...

No idea am afraid buddy, wish i knew, completely devoids the point of physically playing the game when the outcome is out of your hands. It's like playing a decision based RPG where all the decisions are already decided for you, just makes no sense. So infuriating playing amazing football, carving chances at will with a squad littered with 90 rated talent, up against average sides barely scraping 40% possession and yet they score in the 45th and 90th minute with their only 2 shots which are both from deflected rebounds, and win the game 2-1 with their GK making 15 saves and getting man of the match while my shots are like magnetized to the crossbar/post/gloves.

I keep getting mad about it when playing but now am just deflated by it. Tired of beating Barcelona 4-0 then losing 2-1 to Yeovil just because the game has decided i've won enough games now and that its my turn to lose. It'd be really exciting if they didn't tamper with the scripting, sure my squad would probably win every game but they'd win every game because of their talent level; the money i invested in creating the squad and on my own ability and merit. Even winning feels tainted because you can see plain as day that something is amiss with the match, that things are grossly in your favour or grossly in the AIs favour.

Honestly not surprised to hear EA have banned people for mentioning scripting in their forums, just disappointing to hear since their lack of acknowledgement suggests so patch is coming for it any time soon. Yeah resetting the console every few games to circumnavigate the predetermined outcome isn't any fun and pretty much kills all desire to want to put the disc back in, sadly looks like the only way to really get a work around. Aside from boycotting the product, which, far as next year goes, be a game i'll avoid. I absolutely love football, but not loved Fifa for a little while now, fastly becoming a chore to play and EA have nobody to blame but themselves really for putting out a sub par game every year for at least the last 3, think 10 was the last Fifa i actually enjoyed. Scripting just has got to go!

Completely agree...scripting was sporadic in FIFA11, noticable in 12, rampant in 13 and sounds like completely OTT in 14. Like you, I love footy, but there is no point playing a game that does nothing but raise your blood pressure. I have a day job for that!

If only Konami didnt keep shooting themselves in the foot with Pro Evo (and they do this in many infuriating ways), they could actually produce something to rival FIFA, and in the process make EA pull their fingers out to do some real work.

User Info: sMoKeD47

sMoKeD47
4 years ago#8
a-witty-name posted...

you should do the transfers and get rid of owen
The Notorious Boo Boys
psn: vesey10

User Info: a-witty-name

a-witty-name
4 years ago#9
sMoKeD47 posted...
a-witty-name posted...

you should do the transfers and get rid of owen

What I should do is immediately stop playing career mode, which is what I did.

hangar19
4 years ago#10
Not playing career mode won't fix much I'm afraid. Scripting is rampant in all forms of the game. The best thing EA could do, is to stop all online modes which would allow them more time to focus on the basic gameplay. Then and only then should online be reconsidered. But that's just IMHO.
  1. Boards
  2. FIFA 14
  3. Just done a bit of scripting experiment

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived