What is scripting/ momentum?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. FIFA 14
  3. What is scripting/ momentum?

User Info: Arcvalons

Arcvalons
4 years ago#1
I'm kinda new , see this terms repeated over and over around here. What is it? Is it the AI cheating somehow or what?
Arcvalons really is a genius.-kamikazetomato.
Arc doesn't speak English; he speaks life, the voice of a generation.-gamerTai and pigg

User Info: TallWhiteNinja

TallWhiteNinja
4 years ago#2
Arcvalons posted...
Is it the AI cheating somehow or what?

Essentially. Basically, the game reacts to you doing too well by making the AI team invincible gods of destruction, in order to keep you from getting too far ahead (in individual games, or in a league table). You'll notice it every now and then when the computer scores goals you know there was nothing you could do to stop, or a team like Bolton somehow morphs into Barcelona.

It's also known as the rubber band effect: the game tries to dynamically increase the difficulty in response to you doing too well. In theory, it's supposed to keep things interesting for the player: in practice, it's frustrating bull****. It's common in sports and racing games in particular (in many racing games, the cars near the back will be slightly faster than those at the front), but FIFA tends to be especially bad with it.
Either the worst great player or the best horrible player you'll ever meet.

User Info: Kingsfal

Kingsfal
4 years ago#3
I noticed also that in career mode, and it happened several times with me, where I win a match with a really high score like 5 or 6 goals, after the match I get an email that certain matches have been rescheduled, if I check the calendar I see like 5 games are now to be played within a week, sometimes 3 matches in consecutive 3 days as to make your team really drained, you'll have your players starting the game with their stamina bar in orange. Not quite dynamic scripting but still annoying as hell.
i.imgur.com/MshgWzo.jpg

Arcvalons
4 years ago#4
Oh, in career mode I guess it happened to me. But something that annoys me more is the referee cries foul every time I take the ball for the littlest shoves, when the AI tackles and knocks down my players and nothing happens. Is that just me or does this actually happen?
Arc doesn't speak English; he speaks life, the voice of a generation.-gamerTai and pigg

User Info: Jobi987

Jobi987
4 years ago#5
Arcvalons posted...
Oh, in career mode I guess it happened to me. But something that annoys me more is the referee cries foul every time I take the ball for the littlest shoves, when the AI tackles and knocks down my players and nothing happens. Is that just me or does this actually happen?

^ This. A million times this

I played a FUT match the other day and for about 9 consecutive tackles I was judged to have fouled the other player. I picked up 3 yellow cards. And when I watched the replays half of the tackles actually won the ball fairly but their player bumped into mine and was given a free kick.

And then when I have the ball the AI defenders channel the agility of Usain Bolt with a rocket on his back to outpace me and pull off a ridiculous tackle. Usually the type of tackle where they bump into you from behind, your player slows down and then their player grabs the ball and turns a perfect 180 that is impossible to stop and runs off into your half.

User Info: levelshooter

levelshooter
4 years ago#6
Yeah everything everyone has said is true.

If you happen to get a free kick consider yourself fortunate.

And you'll only get penalties for handball (if turned on)
-Stop arguing about who is gonna win. No matter the choice you are gonna be screwed either way!!!!!

User Info: levelshooter

levelshooter
4 years ago#7
TallWhiteNinja posted...
Arcvalons posted...
Is it the AI cheating somehow or what?

Essentially. Basically, the game reacts to you doing too well by making the AI team invincible gods of destruction, in order to keep you from getting too far ahead (in individual games, or in a league table). You'll notice it every now and then when the computer scores goals you know there was nothing you could do to stop, or a team like Bolton somehow morphs into Barcelona.

It's also known as the rubber band effect: the game tries to dynamically increase the difficulty in response to you doing too well. In theory, it's supposed to keep things interesting for the player: in practice, it's frustrating bull****. It's common in sports and racing games in particular (in many racing games, the cars near the back will be slightly faster than those at the front), but FIFA tends to be especially bad with it.

Especially this lol
-Stop arguing about who is gonna win. No matter the choice you are gonna be screwed either way!!!!!

Arcvalons
4 years ago#8
How does the game know when to up the difficulty anyway? Is it about results (if you won the last game 4-0 for example), table positions, or does it actually analyze your play?

User Info: TallWhiteNinja

TallWhiteNinja
4 years ago#9
Arcvalons posted...
How does the game know when to up the difficulty anyway? Is it about results (if you won the last game 4-0 for example), table positions, or does it actually analyze your play?

A combination of the first two, from my experience. "Analyzing your play" seems like it's a bit beyond the fine folk who develop the game, based on their other "accomplishments."
Either the worst great player or the best horrible player you'll ever meet.

User Info: Aklis

Aklis
4 years ago#10
Arcvalons posted...

I don't think it's as much about "upping the difficulty" as it is about just making your players do stupid things. I once conceded a goal because a defender that I wasn't controlling ran straight into the one I was. Not just bumped into me or anything like that, he actually charged right into me, leaving the striker one on one with my keeper.

Then there are the heaps of times where your line just won't work and just crumbles in the face of their attack; there are several times you can feel the scripting because nothing you do seems to stop their strikers.
  1. Boards
  2. FIFA 14
  3. What is scripting/ momentum?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived