• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Hearthstone Is Now The Most Expensive It's Ever Been

User Info: NinjaX2099

NinjaX2099
2 months ago#31
NintendoFan81 posted...
First off- people holding the game together?

I guess the people who "hold the game together" are the players that spend real money on the game. Without them, there would be no game. For those of us like myself who like to play F2P (most of the time, in my case), that means when we don't buy stuff, we're getting the game for nothing, so can't have too many complaints.

No the ftp people who grind out 30 wins or spend hours a day playing to stay current also holds the game together by keeping Blizzards servers full and the wait for a match really low.
and I had to offer her a stick of gum
She was as thick as they come, and taught a strict curriculum
(edited 2 months ago)
NinjaX2099 posted...

No the ftp people who grind out 30 wins or spend hours a day playing to stay current also holds the game together by keeping Blizzards servers full and the wait for a match really low.

Yeah, there's that too. If no-one spent any money, there would be no game, and if there were no opponents, there we would be no game.

If you believe in thinking for yourself, and aren't afraid to admit it, put something unique and original in your signature.

User Info: NinjaX2099

NinjaX2099
2 months ago#33
Time is a resource/commodity; which is the #1 concept that holds ftp games together. Of course money is the other. The many hours someone has put in grinding card packs can be equated to a monetary value.
and I had to offer her a stick of gum
She was as thick as they come, and taught a strict curriculum

User Info: wolverinerob79

wolverinerob79
2 months ago#34
tl;dr - I'm at a crossroads (not the terrible Tavern Brawl) - do I quit Hearthstone?

I'm a closed beta player who's played at least every other day, but most often every day. I've spent exactly $10 on this game because the 2 welcome bundles were the only thing I've found that made sense for me to spend real money on value wise. Not because I'm poor, but because I didn't see the value. I have always maximized quests and rarely missed any quests.

I had become somewhat happy with the cadence for the 3 times a year of just expansions where I spent 10k gold on Spring, 7.5k on Summer, and 5k on Winter to reflect how long those cards are usable in Standard. I did slightly feel the loss of as many epics in Winter, but made do - I always had at least 1 or 2 competitive decks all throughout the year. Early on I did some Arena, but had to give that up due to lack of gold (it's been awhile since I've been gold infinite even though I was value infinite). I always hoped competition from other card games would make F2P more available so that I'd be able to get back to Arena.

The change to also include single player content (that is absolutely required to purchase because the cards gained are necessary) is a bar too high for me.

I'm down to 4K gold now that I've pre-purchased all wings in the adventure (first time I can remember that we can do that) and have about 6K dust. I, at minimum, will get another 4K gold between now and Spring's release. That's 2K short of my absolutely necessary 10K for the spring rotation. Usually I was comfortably at 12-15k going into Spring and the 10K didn't feel terrible.

So how am I playing Hearthstone now? Honestly, I love the single player content the most. For multiplayer, I'm simply doing quests as a job (a very poorly paying job). But if I only play single player (i.e. quit multiplayer), I'd have to actually buy the content. Am I ready to say goodbye to something I've enjoyed for so long? Blizzard wants me to look at this and say "ok, this will be fine if I just do the pre-order every expansion" which is true. But do I want to reward Blizzard for being more predatory? The value of the pre-order hasn't increased...but if I want to keep playing, I really will HAVE to. I may squeak by where I get enough bonus gold from playing to make it under spring's deadline...but Summer will come right around the corner and I'll have the same choice.

User Info: solosnake

solosnake
2 months ago#35
wolverinerob79 posted...
So how am I playing Hearthstone now? Honestly, I love the single player content the most. For multiplayer, I'm simply doing quests as a job (a very poorly paying job). But if I only play single player (i.e. quit multiplayer), I'd have to actually buy the content. Am I ready to say goodbye to something I've enjoyed for so long? Blizzard wants me to look at this and say "ok, this will be fine if I just do the pre-order every expansion" which is true. But do I want to reward Blizzard for being more predatory? The value of the pre-order hasn't increased...but if I want to keep playing, I really will HAVE to. I may squeak by where I get enough bonus gold from playing to make it under spring's deadline...but Summer will come right around the corner and I'll have the same choice.

Everyone has their own breaking point. I spent probably close to $1500 on this game since beta and I have only played it once since august to try out the new battlegrounds mode.
"We would have no NBA possibly if they got rid of all the flopping." ~ Dwyane Wade
http://i.imgur.com/MYYEIx5.gif http://i.imgur.com/WGE12ef.jpg

wolverinerob79
2 months ago#36
solosnake posted...
Everyone has their own breaking point. I spent probably close to $1500 on this game since beta and I have only played it once since august to try out the new battlegrounds mode.
Oof - I would definitely call you a HS whale then. When a game has its whales leaving, that's a big problem.

User Info: solosnake

solosnake
2 months ago#37
wolverinerob79 posted...
Oof - I would definitely call you a HS whale then. When a game has its whales leaving, that's a big problem.
Yeah, I definitely was addicted to this game for a long time. I think I was buying the pre order bundles as well as 2-3 sets of the biggest bundle of cards every expansion during my peak.

I havent bought anything from the last 3 expansions, but havent really played for the last two

This used to be pretty much the only game I played at all
"We would have no NBA possibly if they got rid of all the flopping." ~ Dwyane Wade
http://i.imgur.com/MYYEIx5.gif http://i.imgur.com/WGE12ef.jpg
(edited 2 months ago)

wolverinerob79
2 months ago#38
xtacb posted...
and some ppl want even more of our classic set to be hall of famed or removed from standard, so that we have to rebuy the new versions of the cards in future expansions/adventures
Dang Kibler.
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Hearthstone Is Now The Most Expensive It's Ever Been
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A