You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. This game is getting ruined by matches that go on forever.

User Info: sailorpete

sailorpete
4 weeks ago#21
WilhelmHaven posted...
MajinUltima posted...
WilhelmHaven posted...
I have no idea what any of this means but it definitely sounds awesome and intriguing.

--Summarized version is basically that due to the size of the card pool and the way mana and deck construction works, there are very few times in Best of 3 with Sideboards that you can't adjust your deck against certain matchups if you're worried about encountering them frequently.

That's the cool thing about MTG's design compared to Hearthstone, but it can come at costs. Mana flood/screw can end games before they begin, sometimes games can get really dragged out because some slow-playing jerk has SO many potential stops to rope on.
I will say that Best of 3 has won me over though, Best of 1 is a dumpster fire of ridiculously greedy decks, like the most SMOrc of old school Face Hunter and the most glacial speed of Old Gods Fatigue Warrior.

I'd love to try out MTG but I honestly have no idea where to start, and probably don't have the time. Or...anyone to play it with. Boo hoo. I'll pick it up when I eventually move back home to Bonnie Scotland. Bet there are some CCG fans there.

MTGA is good place to start if you want play magic
"Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack" Vegeta Dragon Ball Z Claims 'Hayate Yagami' KSErin fans: 20

User Info: thetraveler

thetraveler
4 weeks ago#22
KajeI posted...
Simmedon posted...
KajeI posted...
Aggro is strong = games are too short and snowbally.
Combo is strong = Uninteractive solitaire simulator.
Control is strong = Games go on too long.
Midrange is strong = Curvestone

Fixed that for you.

There we go, I legit couldn't think of the right complaint to use for it.

I don't see RNGStone in that list.
I'd like to name this new style sheet "The Homer", after his failed attempt at designing a car.

User Info: Simmedon

Simmedon
4 weeks ago#23
thetraveler posted...
KajeI posted...
Simmedon posted...
KajeI posted...
Aggro is strong = games are too short and snowbally.
Combo is strong = Uninteractive solitaire simulator.
Control is strong = Games go on too long.
Midrange is strong = Curvestone

Fixed that for you.

There we go, I legit couldn't think of the right complaint to use for it.

I don't see RNGStone in that list.

That's an overarching problem that will always be complained about regardless of which meta is being complained about.
Switch FC: SW-5456-1062-9038
"You nuked me with light, I shot you four times... I think we can call it even."

User Info: ZeroVolume

ZeroVolume
4 weeks ago#24
redundancies posted...
MajinUltima posted...
I play MTG, I have long games, short games, I go against many deck types, and generally matches are less one-sided from the onset.

I don't know, I've seen a lot of matches be pretty one sided just from mana screw/flood by one player or the other. I agree that interaction on someone else's turn makes for deeper gameplay, but you've gotta have the mana to do it.

I’ll take mana flood/screw over HS gameplay any day tbh. After Bo3 and sideboarding got introduced into MtG:A, I ditched HS and never looked back. The gameplay in MTG Arena is way more compelling and stimulating, and even when I lose I tend to have fun and think back, “damn that was an interesting game.” In HS my opponent discovers an n-th copy of _____ card, I roll my eyes and concede. In MtG, I get mana flooded on game 1? That sucks but I have game 2 and 3 to close things out with my opponent and now I can bring in my sideboard cards with information on my opponent’s deck.

The amount of agency MtG gameplay affords the player with sideboarding and interacting on your opponent’s turn leaves HS outclassed. I will also note Blizzard has seemingly amped up their update frequency and I wonder how much of that is because of the new competition with MtG:A. It’s probably good for the health of HS but also interesting that they never really felt a need to respond to the other HS competitors that got released.

User Info: sailorpete

sailorpete
4 weeks ago#25
I will also note Blizzard has seemingly amped up their update frequency and I wonder how much of that is because of the new competition with MtG:A. It’s probably good for the health of HS but also interesting that they never really felt a need to respond to the other HS competitors that got released.

Every other competitor was basically HS lite before MtG made Arena also they lost Ben Brode last year which took away one their best spokesmen. After Arena was launched few popular streamers of HS moved back to magic so they lost some their good exposure from that too. If Arena had before Online Magic probably would have destroyed HS from the get-go for competitive play possibly.
"Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack" Vegeta Dragon Ball Z Claims 'Hayate Yagami' KSErin fans: 20

User Info: ninplayer

ninplayer
4 weeks ago#26
ZeroVolume posted...
I’ll take mana flood/screw over HS gameplay any day tbh

Yuck, nooooooooooooooooooooo thanks
https://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

User Info: DonnyG

DonnyG
4 weeks ago#27
ninplayer posted...
ZeroVolume posted...

You're punished significantly more by draw RNG in one game than the other, no doubt.

I prefer MTG gameplay as well, but the absolute worst I feel in either game is when I can play nothing while the opponent bashes my face in. That happens much more often in MTG.

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
4 weeks ago#28
ninplayer posted...
ZeroVolume posted...

Agreed. It's one thing to lose because my opponent has the right cards to counter my strategy or because I didn't have the right cards against him, but sitting there doing nothing for three turns before finally conceding because I have a hand full of spells and little to no mana (or vice versa) is just boring. Like I'm not even playing the game at that point.

ZeroVolume posted...
After Bo3 and sideboarding got introduced into MtG:A, I ditched HS and never looked back. The gameplay in MTG Arena is way more compelling and stimulating, and even when I lose I tend to have fun and think back, “damn that was an interesting game.”

Maybe it's because I don't do Bo3 (I don't play paper Magic, and I only play MTGA casually, just enough to get quests done...just like in HS, although HS I also do the single player content), but I seldom go "damn, that was an interesting game." It really doesn't feel appreciably different from Hearthstone in a lot of ways: "well, I didn't have or draw the counter to that, so I lose."
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. This game is getting ruined by matches that go on forever.