Just started this week. Card buying question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Just started this week. Card buying question

User Info: darth254

darth254
4 months ago#11
wentzelot posted...
SOSBrigade posted...
Don't buy 10 packs from the older set, buy one at a time from the older sets and when you get the guaranteed legendary move on.

costs more money to buy one pack at a time. i'd rather just buy the 10 pack deal

why you want him to become p2w? it's basically an asterisk, like Barry Bonds HR record

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
4 months ago#12
darth254 posted...
wentzelot posted...
SOSBrigade posted...
Don't buy 10 packs from the older set, buy one at a time from the older sets and when you get the guaranteed legendary move on.

costs more money to buy one pack at a time. i'd rather just buy the 10 pack deal

why you want him to become p2w? it's basically an asterisk, like Barry Bonds HR record

just telling him his best value.. buying 2 packs x5 = 15 $
7 packs + 4 packs = 16$ . so a dollar more but an extra pack . it's a better value .

i guess the BEST value would be to buy 2 packs .. no legendary buy 2 more packs.. no legendary buy 7 packs . or perhaps reverse.. buy 7 packs.. no legendary.. buy 2 packs.. still no legendary .. bad luck buy 2 more packs or just spend 100 gold for the last one

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
4 months ago#13
darth254 posted...

If everyone was f2p, the game wouldn't exist any more because it didn't make any money. Seems odd to want to lessen the accomplishment of those that leave the lights on.

User Info: k_pflipsen

k_pflipsen
4 months ago#14
redundancies posted...
darth254 posted...

If everyone was f2p, the game wouldn't exist any more because it didn't make any money. Seems odd to want to lessen the accomplishment of those that leave the lights on.

This is kind of something that drives me nuts about the people who are all "Never pay real money! This game is supposed to be free!" F2P means you can chose to try it out for as long as you like without having to spend any money, but it does not mean that the game developers are going to give you all the content the game has to offer and never make money off the game. Promoting the idea that Blizzard should make the game fully free and that they somehow "owe" it to the players is simply acting like a spoiled, entitled brat who's throwing a tantrum about not getting that candy bar you've asked your mom for 10 times since we got to the store.

All online games have a free-to-start structure of some sort. If you want to play World of Warcraft, you can get to level 20 or whatever before having to pay for a monthly subscription. Console games sometimes have a free demo, but that's limited to a certain length of time or only an initial segment of the game. If you want the full game, you have to pay the $60. The concept works for both players who want to try before they buy and for designers who want to leverage fun their game is to get you to buy.

IMO, Hearthstone's F2P structure is probably even more player-friendly than most other games in this way. You don't have to pay anything if you don't want to, and you can stop whenever you want. Players decide how invested they want to be on an individual level, and there's no all-or-nothing / pay $60 and be disappointed with what the rest of the game held. So the game is sort of as deep for each player as you want it to be based on the money you're willing to invest.

And in the end it is actually possible to play the game and get all the good cards for each expansion. You just need to play a lot of arena. If you can average about 6 wins, you can go infinite and just essentially get a free pack for each run — most top players average around 7 wins per run, so this is definitely doable. But that takes time and dedication to playing arena, which is a form of currency itself and not what every player wants to do in the game.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. -Jack Handy

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
4 months ago#15
^well said. . I haven't spent a dime but if I feel the need to I have no problem giving blizzard some money for all the entertainment I've gotten. I'd probably limit myself to 40 bucks of cards for the pain game plus 20 per expansion or so? You can decide your much to spend. It's a pretty fair system.

I do think free to players do have a harder time competing in recent times. Cards like bonemare etc do help but they also hurt things

User Info: wolverinerob79

wolverinerob79
4 months ago#16
If I were you, I'd just save from now until April for the new expansion.

User Info: electricshoesx2

electricshoesx2
4 months ago#17
wolverinerob79 posted...
If I were you, I'd just save from now until April for the new expansion.

That’s what I think I’ll end up doing.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/electricshoesx2
Mii: Adam Twitch: Galaxy749

User Info: k_pflipsen

k_pflipsen
3 months ago#18
Try out arena. If you like it, continue to play it and get good at it. Arena is one way to build up a collection for less gold than buying packs outright.

If you can average 3 wins (not too difficult when you get the hang of it), you will get more back in gold and packs and dust than you invest in gold for each run. It works this way because the game doesn't punish you much for winning less than 3 games (you break even at 2-3 wins), and the rewards skyrocket around 5-6 wins. 2 runs of 0 wins + 6 wins (average of 3) will net you more in return than the value of the 300 gold you put in for those 2 runs.

There are lots of beginner guides for arena and tier lists you can use for help drafting cards. Just do a Google search.

If you like playing arena, this is the best way to build up a collection without spending money. But you do actually have to like playing arena.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. -Jack Handy
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Just started this week. Card buying question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived