Is Recruit a good mechanic?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Is Recruit a good mechanic?

User Info: yamas11

yamas11
6 months ago#1
It feels like it's very mixed in how good it is. I've only really seen the Warlock and Paladin recruit cards used a lot.
This is my sig

User Info: sailorpete

sailorpete
6 months ago#2
yamas11 posted...
It feels like it's very mixed in how good it is. I've only really seen the Warlock and Paladin recruit cards used a lot.

Warrior just sucks and Druid doesn't need the 8 mana taunt right now. Oaken Summons sees some play in Armour Druid the one who tries to outheal Raza Priest
"Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack" Vegeta Dragon Ball Z Claims 'Hayate Yagami' KSErin fans: 20

User Info: friendbuddypal

friendbuddypal
6 months ago#3
Overall no. The design of the mechanic as a whole basically requires the player to run bricks, cards that feel horrible to draw because you need them in your deck. If you draw Rin, Hadronox, your Voidlords, etc, before you play Oakheart, then you're boned. It's an annoying part of high level Yugioh that I wasn't happy to see pop up in Hearthstone. I'd have liked the mechanic much better if it pulled from the hand when there are no targets in the deck.
CIA: You're a big guy.
Bane: For you.

User Info: Jedibaracuda

Jedibaracuda
6 months ago#4
Recruit is powerful, but we already knew that from Patches. It just wasn’t a keyword yet.
Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

User Info: MajinUltima

MajinUltima
6 months ago#5
Yes and No
Like basically everything about this trash heap of a game, the mechanic is fine but the implementation is awful.

No thought whatsoever was put into Possessed Lackey and how much Warlock could survive with only a few specific Demons, making the card absolutely stupid.
- THIS WOULD NOT BE AS BIG AN ISSUE WITH UN-NERFED SILENCES AND PRE-NERF TINKMASTER BY THE WAY
But again, poor design decisions have a long history in this game. Why have meaningful counterplay exist, right? That's what most DKs and Quests were about, just ridiculous stupid overwhelming effects from hand that you can't do jack squat about.

But the problem with Recruit, Lackey in particular being the main standout, is compounding effects. Strong cards which are more-or-less "okay" on their own like Bloodreaver and Cube cause the above interaction to snowball to positively stupid levels.

Just the fact that Doomguard already existed was a reason Possessed Lackey should've ONLY Recruited 4 or less cost, nothing good ever comes from letting people abuse crap with Charge. Period. Ever. Warsong Commander TWICE, Leeroy, Power Overwhelming, Unleash the Hounds TWICE, all had to be nerfed. It's like these people never learn that supporting anything with Charge is always 100% incorrect.

tl;dr - Recruit is fine and an effect I like, but Lackey was an obvious mistake and even in a complete vacuum, because the fact that Doomguard already existed should've been an immediate red flag to make sure that doesn't happen. And then they make **** like Voidlord after having gutted the already-minimal counterplay to Deathrattles.

The bigger problem is: What does it matter? They keep going more and more insane with power creep, they keep letting RNG be a massive factor in matches (BOTH in how broken a few specific cards are that dictate games by being drawn and played first AND in the scope of several RNG effects).
http://i.imgur.com/mYFkgcb.gifv

User Info: Pijinz

Pijinz
6 months ago#6
The idea goes back a lot further than Patches. One of the strongest cards ever, Mad Scientist from Naxx, is basically Deathrattle: recruit a secret.

I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand it's good how you can utilize your deck without having to draw into it; decks are thinner as a result, and can be made more consistent. On the other hand, the way mana-costs can be cheated has gone a little bit too far IMO.

Funnily enough, the better performing recruit cards are the less problematic. Call to Arms is recruit done right - makes your deck more consistent, and while it's a good power play, it's not one with wild RNG swings. Gather Your Party is recruit done wrong - you have to build a much more inconsistent deck around it, and it's whole strength comes from the mana cheat effect.

User Info: XtraT

XtraT
6 months ago#7
I think recruit is awesome, makes you build decks around it.
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.

User Info: WilhelmHaven

WilhelmHaven
6 months ago#8
XtraT posted...
I think recruit is awesome, makes you build decks around it.

While I personally don't think it's awesome (yet), I do love how it encourages creative deckbuilding.

There's potential...I've tried so hard to make Silver Vanguard work, and Guild Recriiter with discounted giants/flamewreatheds, but those decks and recruit cards just aren't strong or consistent enough. Recruit Warrior is far too slow and clunky. Obviously it's great in any deck when Oakheart pulls a Dragonhatcher but it's mostly for the memes.

Goes without saying that Recruit is working well in Warlock though.

Perhaps after 1 or 2 more expacs it'll be a stronger mechanic overall.
PSN: BlackZion00

User Info: XtraT

XtraT
6 months ago#9
OP =/= good mechanic.
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.

User Info: DonnyG33

DonnyG33
6 months ago#10
MajinUltima posted...
Yes and No
Like basically everything about this trash heap of a game, the mechanic is fine but the implementation is awful.

No thought whatsoever was put into Possessed Lackey and how much Warlock could survive with only a few specific Demons, making the card absolutely stupid.
- THIS WOULD NOT BE AS BIG AN ISSUE WITH UN-NERFED SILENCES AND PRE-NERF TINKMASTER BY THE WAY
But again, poor design decisions have a long history in this game. Why have meaningful counterplay exist, right? That's what most DKs and Quests were about, just ridiculous stupid overwhelming effects from hand that you can't do jack squat about.

But the problem with Recruit, Lackey in particular being the main standout, is compounding effects. Strong cards which are more-or-less "okay" on their own like Bloodreaver and Cube cause the above interaction to snowball to positively stupid levels.

Just the fact that Doomguard already existed was a reason Possessed Lackey should've ONLY Recruited 4 or less cost, nothing good ever comes from letting people abuse crap with Charge. Period. Ever. Warsong Commander TWICE, Leeroy, Power Overwhelming, Unleash the Hounds TWICE, all had to be nerfed. It's like these people never learn that supporting anything with Charge is always 100% incorrect.

tl;dr - Recruit is fine and an effect I like, but Lackey was an obvious mistake and even in a complete vacuum, because the fact that Doomguard already existed should've been an immediate red flag to make sure that doesn't happen. And then they make **** like Voidlord after having gutted the already-minimal counterplay to Deathrattles.

The bigger problem is: What does it matter? They keep going more and more insane with power creep, they keep letting RNG be a massive factor in matches (BOTH in how broken a few specific cards are that dictate games by being drawn and played first AND in the scope of several RNG effects).

Git gud scrub
F2P people. The vegans of the gaming world. They'll tell you about it even if no one asked.
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Is Recruit a good mechanic?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived