Is the only way a class card can be considered balanced is if few people run it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Is the only way a class card can be considered balanced is if few people run it?

User Info: angelusalvus

angelusalvus
7 months ago#1
I've seen many people saying "Card X is broken because everyone runs it".
So, according to these people, no card must be a staple.
I could agree with this if we actually had other good cards to play with instead. However the mentality seems to be "card is good. Must nerf or remove it from game for us to play objectivally worse cards".
3DS FC: 2337-2967-1748

User Info: mayatola

mayatola
7 months ago#2
Cards aren't broken because people play it. People play cards because they are broken. People tend to prefer winning over losing, so it's only natural if a card is good, it'll be end up in a lot of decks.

User Info: soggytoast11

soggytoast11
7 months ago#3
I think cards become a problem when they are so good that they power up many different types of decks - even without much direct synergy. Corridor Creeper is one of those cards. And Bonemare is close behind.

Every card should have some kind of niche that creates a challenge for deck builders. There's really no reason not to run Corridor Creeper in virtually every deck now.

User Info: DonnyG33

DonnyG33
7 months ago#4
A card can still be balanced even if it is played in multiple decks. I don't think anyone believes a card like Fireball needs to be nerfed, but it's played in every Mage deck.

The problem happens when people lose to the same cards over and over and believe it's the cards problem, when more often than not it's due to their own inefficiencies as a player. There's nothing in this meta that can't be countered with a different deck, or different cards. Other metas might not have been the case (Patron immediately comes to mind), but this one is quite fair. It's just dominated by cards that require certain support or tactics. Everything in the meta has a playable counter. Whether or not you choose to use it will determine your success.
F2P people. The vegans of the gaming world. They'll tell you about it even if no one asked.

User Info: angelusalvus

angelusalvus
7 months ago#5
DonnyG33 posted...
A card can still be balanced even if it is played in multiple decks. I don't think anyone believes a card like Fireball needs to be nerfed, but it's played in every Mage deck.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/710060-hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft/76157837?page=4
3DS FC: 2337-2967-1748

DonnyG33
7 months ago#6
angelusalvus posted...
DonnyG33 posted...

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/710060-hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft/76157837?page=4

That was a troll post my dude
F2P people. The vegans of the gaming world. They'll tell you about it even if no one asked.

User Info: MajinUltima

MajinUltima
7 months ago#7
mayatola posted...
Cards aren't broken because people play it. People play cards because they are broken. People tend to prefer winning over losing, so it's only natural if a card is good, it'll be end up in a lot of decks.

--This, but with the caveat that people are also lazy and prefer fast matches and/or non-interactive matches, so cards and strategies don't actually need to be "good" so much as they need to average out to enough of a winrate.

ie "I played Corridor Creeper after the enemy wiped my board and it did 14 damage over 2 turns and a Bonemare, which was enough for a Leeory lethal later"
Doesn't make either card "good", doesn't make greedily overextending a good strategy, it simply means there's enough variance combined with few enough punishes for greed that it improves the winrate.

I imagine complaints nowadays are more justly directed at how much the game is
"Player A drew X before Player B drew Y, so Player A won because there's jack squat Player B can do about it"
The game and decks aren't about playing well or constructing a consistent deck, it's just about doing whatever you need to do to enable some bs card or two to snowball the game, and whoever gets luckier first with drawing/playing the bs card tends to win.
http://i.imgur.com/mYFkgcb.gifv

DonnyG33
7 months ago#8
MajinUltima posted...
mayatola posted...

--This, but with the caveat that people are also lazy and prefer fast matches and/or non-interactive matches, so cards and strategies don't actually need to be "good" so much as they need to average out to enough of a winrate.

ie "I played Corridor Creeper after the enemy wiped my board and it did 14 damage over 2 turns and a Bonemare, which was enough for a Leeory lethal later"
Doesn't make either card "good", doesn't make greedily overextending a good strategy, it simply means there's enough variance combined with few enough punishes for greed that it improves the winrate.

"Player A drew X before Player B drew Y, so Player A won because there's jack squat Player B can do about it"
The game and decks aren't about playing well or constructing a consistent deck, it's just about doing whatever you need to do to enable some bs card or two to snowball the game, and whoever gets luckier first with drawing/playing the bs card tends to win.

Why should I use a mop to clean my floor when I can use a toothbrush? The toothbrush will clean the floor just fine, y'all using mops are lazy and just looking to finish faster.

User Info: soggytoast11

soggytoast11
7 months ago#9
MajinUltima posted...

Yes, this is basically where I'm at with the game, which is why I'm spending less and less time with it. I haven't even bothered to grind to Rank 5 for the past few months and only sunk less than 5000 gold into Kobolds.

The game doesn't feel interesting anymore - it really hasn't for a long time. There's just not enough you can do to get around bad matchups and counteract the inherent RNG of needing the right card at the right moment to survive. I had hope that the devs would find a way to make the game more interesting - give players better options and more ways to interact with each other. But it seems like they are happy with having this kind of "balance" to the game where everyone just goldfishes for their most unfair way to blow each other out.

Tavern Brawl is still fun as a one - off each week though I guess.

User Info: BoyOfBattle

BoyOfBattle
7 months ago#10
that's why my approach is best. it's a casual toilet game run by toilet developers. i have one thing to say to anyone whose main game is hearthstone: yikes.
DIEHARD DUBS FAN SINCE 2007. We Believe!
GSW. Chef Curry. Klay "Kray" Thompson. Kevin ALPHArant. we already won.
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Is the only way a class card can be considered balanced is if few people run it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived