• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Why don't Mage decks run Teacher, Giant, or Gadgetzan?

User Info: RixMaadi

RixMaadi
2 years ago#1
I never see Violet Teacher, Arcane Giants, or Gadgetzan Auctioneer in any mage decks. I'm not a super good player though, so can someone tell me why these spell based minions aren't good enough for the spell heavy mage class?

User Info: Grischnak

Grischnak
2 years ago#2
They have better options generally. For example, why save spells to combo with Violet Teacher when you can do it with Flamewaker? Plus Mages don't really have many buffs so the tokens are kind of weak. Auctioneer is just too expensive really. It works better with Rogue because Rogues have cheaper spells. Giants do see some play though. Sometimes.
Link versus Cloud 2 years ago#3
RixMaadi posted...
I never see Violet Teacher, Arcane Giants, or Gadgetzan Auctioneer in any mage decks. I'm not a super good player though, so can someone tell me why these spell based minions aren't good enough for the spell heavy mage class?

Gadgetzan is very expensive to play (6 mana) with fairly poor stats for that cost (4-4) so its only really worth justifying him in decks that are looking to cycle for specific combo lethals with cheap spells like miracle rogue rather than just for spell synergy. Its the reason why standard token druid doesn't run gadget either, but malydruid does. As for freeze mage, its only cheap spells are primarily used for the win condition as well so its better to run acolytes for draw using the hero power synergy especially since the cheap spells can combo with antonidas as well.

Violet Teacher is a fine choice to run in spell heavy mage decks. The reason most meta decks don't run them though is because Mage already has better class minions they would rather synergize spells with (mana wyrm and flamewaker in early game or antonidas late game) so it usually ends up working out better just running a spell independent stand alone solid 4 drop like water element in standard or piloted shredder in wild that you can just plop down on 4 and not need to conserve for a combo.

There are lists that run arcane giant, but it generally reduces early game draw consistency and this meta is so curve dependent and fast that its better to just run more burn spells instead. If the meta slows down giants will be probably be run in tempo mage meta decks.
LeBron "Stannis" James - The one true king of the NBA

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
2 years ago#4
I think if mages had cards like Power of the Wild or other similar spells you would see Violet Teacher more in mage decks.

The reason Druids run that card is because they can buff the 1/1 minions up to 2/2's or bigger without a huge commitment of mana.

User Info: RixMaadi

RixMaadi
2 years ago#5
Hmm, so perhaps a chance for Violet Teacher when Flamewaker rotates out.

User Info: Hero3ziz

Hero3ziz
2 years ago#6
Because rogues and druids have a lot of cheap mana spells (innvervate, living roots, power of the wild, moonfire, back stab, deadly poison, journey below, coins, conceal, prep which is a 0 mana spell that makes the next spell costs 0) so they can play teacher/auctioneer and get off of it almost immediately. Most mage spells costs 2 mana or more, so teacher/auctioneer doesn't really work well for mage.
All men must die.

User Info: XtraT

XtraT
2 years ago#7
rogues and druids have prep and innervate
Grand Marshal/Gladiator Priest, Lightplol.
PvE gladiator holy paladin, Lightp.

User Info: HeartbreakKid37

HeartbreakKid37
2 years ago#8
Because Mage doesn't have preperation, backstab, and conceal. So no auctioneer. Your not saving spells for teacher when you have mana wyrm, flamewaker, and archmage. And Giants can be dead cards early really hurting tempo. They aren't terrible and I could see a 1 of in a Reno deck for sure or a more control variant that runs them but for regular tempo Mage they could often lose you tempo.
Favorite Teams: Kentucky Wildcats, San Antonio Spurs, and Carolina Panthers... No other sport really matters to me.

User Info: xtreemmasheen3k2

xtreemmasheen3k2
2 years ago#9
Yeah, spells just combo better with Antonidas and Flamewaker.

Especially when comparing Antonidas and Gadgetzan, generating a Fireball is generally better than drawing a card. I've played a lot of Miracle N'Zoth Rogue, and getting Antonidas from Swashburgler/Huckster is straight-up busted with how many Fireballs I generate and just throw at the opponent's face.
Former #1 Uber Battler on Smogon: http://i.imgur.com/XsU3foj.jpg
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dabom88

User Info: Zeekfox

Zeekfox
2 years ago#10
The reason not to play Arcane Giant is because Mage isn't playing anything else big onto the board. Even if you're only paying 2 mana for an Arcane Giant and a 2 mana 8/8 sounds like great value, it doesn't matter in a deck like Tempo Mage where your next largest minion is a 4/4, with your other minions being 3/2 or 2/4 or X/3. You have nothing else in the deck that could force an opponent's premium removal option like Hex or Execute, though an opponent who might not figure you to be running Arcane Giant might just use those on Azure Drake. If Giants were in a popular Tempo Mage list, however, you'd never get one to connect with the face, thus ruining the point. The reason it works so well in Druid is because they also play things like Ancient of War and Ragnaros that require big removal tools.

Teacher is the same way. If you only have one token generator and your opponent knows it, they'll save something like Ravaging Ghoul or Swipe or Maelstrom Portal until you play it. And even then, Mage can't do anything with 1/1 tokens the way Druid threatens to give them all +2 attack.
Hearthstone Streamer! Usually on weekday afternoons, EST.
https://www.twitch.tv/zeekfox
  1. Boards
  2. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  3. Why don't Mage decks run Teacher, Giant, or Gadgetzan?
  • Topic Archived