• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  3. I'm guessing only about 10 Vita owners will actually buy this game...

User Info: Solnot

Solnot
7 years ago#1
c/d?

User Info: katydiddd

katydiddd
7 years ago#2
10 people?
Are there that many people who do not know how bad Epic Mickey 2 is?

Epic Mickey 2 is not playable, especially in co-op mode.

Before Epic Mickey 2 came out, people mused that it would be great to play Co-op over the internet with strangers, like with other games.
Some were elated to hear that Sony PlayStation Vita was going to give them the chance.
Then, we started watching how bad co-op play is, even with people in the same room, talking with each other!
Neither Mickey nor Oswald can take care of enemies (befriend or destroy). Oswald can only stun them to get their protective ability inactivated, and, when stunned, Mickey can do things to eliminate them. When, there are many enemies, or one character is someplace else, it’s a deadly mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajU424EQzVI&list=PLc9URPMS0fNB0WHovKFLNyPkTHlPw6gvN

WILL YOU PLAY THE ROLE OF OSWALD, knowing Oswald does not play for the first part of the game, then, he cannot paint, thin, open doors, destroy enemies, talk with characters, ring doorbells, free gremlins, buy things, make decisions, or accomplish many tasks. Also, Mickey is helpless without Oswald zapping electrical devices, but the sequence of control buttons and shaking the controller makes some zapping difficult.

WILL YOU PLAY THE ROLE OF MICKEY? Mickey cannot even get across the underground chasm between Mean Street South and Mean Street North without Oswald helicoptering him over. What if he doesn't catch Oswald’s feet? That happened 4 minutes into a co-op walkthrough, and Mickey had to die in the chasm enough times, to re-materialize, disoriented, at the far door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4drQMl5HPI

Read all the technical, game-play, and story problems that people had with the truncated, half-game. Interviews prove that neither Warren Spector or his quality control man played the game or watched it being played for even 5 minutes! They agreed that you can play the entire game without even touching the thinner button, or, vice-versa, without touching the paint button. The product was so bad because they did not do their job. Then, afterwards, Warren Spector complained that he had come to Disney pitching his own game, but doing this game was “soul-sucking”.

SPOILER ALERT:
After you see the credits, the Epilogue says to keep exploring. When you get to Ostown, the Epilogue says to work together on the turnstile to find a way forward. It must be true, because a fast run-through can be done in less that 90 minutes (my fastest is 2 hr 26 min). My game selection says I finished everything (pins, quests, 16 films, 5 DECs, challenges) in the game in 21 hrs 56 min, and that was letting it run while eating and going out to get the mail, etc.
The game is not EPIC. We have not restored wasteland, as promised in the booklet, Mickey has not returned Home; the Ostown Fountain is not fixed, it still has toxic thinner; and the Gremlin down the turnstile (who has fixed other transportation down there for us) says he is still working on the Transportation Tubes, to provide a way forward.

Many purchasers paid full price, expecting a complete game, and spent hours trying to finish the game, because Disney did not let us know that they ran out of time, and just chain-sawed Epic Mickey 2, to get it out for the holidays.

Then, the support they promised was non-existent when the game came out. When I went to the help page that came with the game, that support page referred me to videogames.com for help, but that site does not exist. This is where many of us ended up. I saw your post at the bottom section of this page:

http://www.gamespot.com/disney-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/forum/

User Info: GrumpyZaq24

GrumpyZaq24
7 years ago#3
katydiddd posted...
10 people?
Interviews prove that neither Warren Spector or his quality control man played the game or watched it being played for even 5 minutes! They agreed that you can play the entire game without even touching the thinner button, or, vice-versa, without touching the paint button. The product was so bad because they did not do their job. Then, afterwards, Warren Spector complained that he had come to Disney pitching his own game, but doing this game was “soul-sucking”.

Interesting the lengths people went to to discover the bounds of this game's terribleness. I wonder what you mean by the part I quoted, though. You say there's proof that Warren Spector and others on the team didn't do their job and very specifically say that Spector didn't even so much as look at the game for more than five minutes, which is kind of slanderous given that you don't offer any said proof. Making games is really hard, and there are real constraints on time and resources that can change at any time. Warren Spector definitely sold the public a Randy Pitchfordesque bill of goods while promoting the game which means he's lost the benefit of the doubt, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an honest effort on the part of the people who worked on it to make a good game. Sometimes things just don't work out.
This? Right here? My over the moon face. -_-

katydiddd
7 years ago#4
I would not open myself up to Disney's huge legal department coming after me with a slander lawsuit.

Disney will not even allow a suggestion about a musician without it going through their legal department.

If you go to the link I provided, you will find posts by Katydiddd and Mcbasilrocks proving my remarks about Warren Spector and his quality control man, Irvin Chavira.

http://www.gamespot.com/disney-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/forum/

The proof that neither Warren Spector nor Irvin Chavira played or watched 5 minutes of Epic Mickey 2 is in their interview:

http://games.xlnt.info/wii_previews.php

Save what you have of the game on a separate device.
Now, start a NEW GAME, and go for 5 minutes without using the paint button. Or, alternatively, go for 5 minutes without using the thinner button. CANNOT BE DONE!!!
If they had played or watched the game for 5 minutes, they would have known it.
But, they say you can play the entire game without touching both paint and thinner. WHAT???
See if this sounds like people who even watched the game!!!
- - - - -
Middle of the page, starts above the picture:

http://games.xlnt.info/wii_previews.php

Back on the subject of Epic Mickey 2, Spector remarks, "You can literally get through the game without ever using paint. Or, without ever using thinner."

Half-jokingly, I immediately respond with, "How about both? Can you get through without using paint or thinner?"

"I don't think you can," Spector responds. But he sounds uncertain. It's a crazy idea, when you think about it. Paint and thinner are the yin and yang of Epic Mickey, your two most central tools for reshaping the Wasteland as you see fit. Sure, you can get through the game without using one. But both?

This is exactly when Irvin Chavira chimes in. As a QA tester on Epic Mickey 2, Chavira has to break the game so that it can be fixed. If there's anyone who knows the boundaries of practicality in Epic Mickey 2, it's him.

"You can," Chavira counters, matter-of-factly.

"Are you serious?!" Spector exclaims from across the table, practically spitting out the sandwich he's been working on in between discussions about the game.

"It won't be 100 percent, because if you want to get 100 percent you have to make certain decisions [involving paint and thinner]. But I think you can get through the core path without using either paint or thinner," says Chavira.

"That's the beauty of this stuff!" remarks Specter, beaming from ear to ear. "When games are open-ended enough that the people who work on them don't know if something's possible, that's pretty magical."
- - - - -

How does Mickey get out of his house without thinner? How does he get across the planets, into the castle, without both thinner and paint?

Why did Warren Spector do such a bad job? Originally, he had gone to Disney with his own game. Disney turned him down, and Spector needed a job, so he did a half-hearted job on Epic Mickey. Later, his interviews said the job was “soul-sucking”.
- - - -

Other employees put their hearts into it, over 700 in the UK and 150 in the USA. They did a good job with what they were doing, but Warren Spector just called it in, without even talking in person with them. Hence, he called them his “Virtual Team”.

Here is an email from one of his Epic Mickey 2 artists:
http://www.gamespot.com/disney-epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/forum/contact-with-former-junction-point-employee-29351371/?msg_id=339508788#339508788

katydiddd
7 years ago#5
Background to my posts:
Junction Point Studios did Epic Mickey 2.
Warren Spector was not just an employee or publicity man. He was the owner and developer of Junction Point. He sold the studio to Disney, and was in charge of Epic Mickey 2.

The above statements of Warren Spector and his quality control man, Irvin Chavira, were not just slips. They thought and discussed them, and came to the conclusion that you can play the entire Epic Mickey 2 game, to the credits, without touching the paint and thinner buttons.

Most of the games I own can be done without paint and thinner, but Epic Mickey 2 NEEDS BOTH !!!

You try it. Put tape over your paint button, and see how far you get.
Put tape over your thinner button, and see how far you get.
Put tape over both buttons, and see how far you get.
You can move and jump, but you cannot play 5 minutes of the game without both paint and thinner.

How could the two top executives have a serious discussion, and know so little about the game?
Warren Spector said he was in contact “virtually” with the employees, like the telephone or Skype, so they were his “virtual team”. Top employees like Spector and Chavira do not punch the clock, or have to show up.

EPIC MICKEY HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!
They could have used “forgotten characters” for years!
So, Warren Spector’s failure cost a lot of employees their job, and cost fans their future Epic Mickey games.

What do you think about Spector? Did he give 100% Did he give 50% Did he give 10%

What do you think was the potential of Epic Mickey games, if they had been done well?

User Info: KrisGreen

KrisGreen
7 years ago#6
I will be one of those people who will buy this game.

katydiddd
7 years ago#7
I whole-heartedly support KrisGreen's decision to buy Epic Mickey 2 on Vita.

Before Epic Mickey 2 came out on other platforms, I watched a 30-minute demonstration on The Nintendo Channel.
The audience and I thought the game was a disaster.
But, I had the time and money. And, I endured the defects, just to play the game.
The good thing is that KrisGreen is not buying it for a child, who will end up crying.
Enjoy!

User Info: Cappuccin0

Cappuccin0
7 years ago#8
I just wanna know how the game performs on the Vita :)

User Info: KrisGreen

KrisGreen
7 years ago#9
katydiddd posted...
I whole-heartedly support KrisGreen's decision to buy Epic Mickey 2 on Vita.

Before Epic Mickey 2 came out on other platforms, I watched a 30-minute demonstration on The Nintendo Channel.
The audience and I thought the game was a disaster.
But, I had the time and money. And, I endured the defects, just to play the game.
The good thing is that KrisGreen is not buying it for a child, who will end up crying.
Enjoy!

Thanks, ya I honestly don't care if the game is horrible in graphocs I mean I may not like it but it isnt gonna stop me from buying it.
  1. Boards
  2. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  3. I'm guessing only about 10 Vita owners will actually buy this game...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A