• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  3. What does "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted" mean? *NO spoilers please*

User Info: fallenKlNG

fallenKlNG
5 years ago#1
I started with Assassin's Creed 3, so I haven't played the game where this motto originated. I got to the point in the game where this motto is mentioned to Edward, but I feel like I still don't truly understand it.

At first, I thought it meant something like "nothing is true; everything is the way it is, because some higher authority has permitted it", but now I'm not so sure.
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4639-6561

User Info: darkslayer001

darkslayer001
5 years ago#2
Ezio's description from Revelations (4th game chronological, released before AC3) says that:

Nothing is True... is to realize that the foundations of the reality is fragile and we must be the shepherds of our own civilizations.
Everything is permitted... is to understand that we are the architects of our actions and we must live with our consequences

There is a different description of the saying in Black Flag, i can't remember it. But it is explained later in the game.

User Info: fallenKlNG

fallenKlNG
5 years ago#3
darkslayer001 posted...
Ezio's description from Revelations (4th game chronological, released before AC3) says that:

Nothing is True... is to realize that the foundations of the reality is fragile and we must be the shepherds of our own civilizations.
Everything is permitted... is to understand that we are the architects of our actions and we must live with our consequences

There is a different description of the saying in Black Flag, i can't remember it. But it is explained later in the game.

Oh ok. I'll wait for that later description, thanks!
3DS Friend Code: 2449-4639-6561

User Info: Vaku

Vaku
5 years ago#4
Basically, nothing is true asks of you to question every fact you know as they are constant buried in lies.

Everything is permitted suggests that even things you believe to be impossible are not necessarily so, you just lack the vision to see them to fruition.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. The only future peace has to offer is war.

User Info: burnfist23

burnfist23
5 years ago#5
Altair in the first game pretty much sums it up at it's core:

"Our Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise."

User Info: obliviondoll

obliviondoll
5 years ago#6
burnfist23 posted...
Altair in the first game pretty much sums it up at it's core:

"Our Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise."

Similar wording is used at one point in AC4.

Also, similar phrasing is used talking about Altair and Edward saying the "parrot the words but do not understand them".
"I want my meals to think for myself"

User Info: Jonsnow1

Jonsnow1
5 years ago#7
Let the father of understanding guide us

User Info: Swcloud

Swcloud
5 years ago#8
AC took a lot of inspiration from this novel, from where the phrase came from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamut_(1938_novel)
The thing with 'evil trolling' is that it is hard to pull off a 500 topic without it getting deleted, so my approach is a lot more subtle. - krazyninjaman3

User Info: manila2k1

manila2k1
5 years ago#9
Swcloud posted...
AC took a lot of inspiration from this novel, from where the phrase came from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamut_(1938_novel)

Yup, and in the novel, the interpretation of the phrase is the polar opposite of its interpretation in the games. In the novel it was interpreted literally: truth is not absolute, but is a matter of perception, and perception can be controlled by the powerful. Thus every means of attaining power and alter perception is allowed--which is ironic because in the games this is the kind of stuff the Templars would say, not the Assassins.

It's a great book, I suggest anyone with an interest in how ideological extremism works read it.

User Info: sensei06

sensei06
5 years ago#10
It was explained best in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.
  1. Boards
  2. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  3. What does "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted" mean? *NO spoilers please*
  • Topic Archived