• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. inFamous: Second Son
  3. What the hell does 'canon' mean?
CODurb 8 years ago#1
Im i missing something obvious or something?
JackSolomon 8 years ago#2
'Canon' refers to what is considered a legitimate part of the storyline. For example, if something is considered 'not canon', then it's not real as far as the story is concerned. Like, say, if there was a plot point where a character could or could not die, and the character dies, only for a later installment to reveal the character is alive and well, then the option where the character DIDN'T die canon, rendering the one where they did die 'not canon'.

Get it? Or did I screw up that explanation?
largerock 8 years ago#3
In simple terms.....

JackSolomon posted...
'Canon' refers to what is considered a legitimate part of the storyline. For example, if something is considered 'not canon', then it's not real as far as the story is concerned. Like, say, if there was a plot point where a character could or could not die, and the character dies, only for a later installment to reveal the character is alive and well, then the option where the character DIDN'T die canon, rendering the one where they did die 'not canon'.

Get it? Or did I screw up that explanation?
CaioNV 8 years ago#4
Every time you get a game over in a video game, you're seeing non-canon stuff. Your character never canoncially dies at the hand of basic mooks.
PokeyBanana 8 years ago#5
Canon is what the creator of the story decided really happened. Non-Canon are choices that don't carry over to sequels.
Like the apostrophe in I'm, the Internet ignores me all too often.
Four_Winds 8 years ago#6
Just like how in our universe Star Wars is canon, and Star Trek is non-canon (c'mon we all know the Star Wars 'movies' were really documentaries. They just said they made them up because 'we weren't ready yet')
Protopet 8 years ago#7
Things that are canon are official parts of the story.

When you play Mario, rescuing the princess is canon. Falling into the lava and dying is not canon, because that's not the "official" ending as far as the creators of the game are concerned.

Thus, there was a debate of sorts on which ending of Infamous 2 is the official ending, or canon.
I should go.
lamarfll 8 years ago#8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)
"the first one who stop spamming will be executed!"
ZeroJinKui 8 years ago#9
i dont think i've ever seen anyone who doesnt know what "canon" means...
Mortal lives are a litany of despair and treachery, only wrath can see you through the darkest days.
  1. Boards
  2. inFamous: Second Son
  3. What the hell does 'canon' mean?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A