How do you all feel about NG: Sigma 2?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  3. How do you all feel about NG: Sigma 2?

User Info: Real_Account

Real_Account
3 years ago#1
What's this board take on Sigma 2? I feel that it is better, more fun and more balance than the original NGII, but it seems like a lot of NG fans disagree.

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
3 years ago#2
Good question. Most people whom you come across on these boards will defend NG II simply because they are either Xbox or Itagaki fanboys ( who even knows if he designed the game to begin with ).

I, for one, am neither, do not own a 360 and only spent a small amount of time with the original and I can say NG II is the better of the two.

While Sigma 2 looks and runs MUCH better than the Xbox version and the added bonus of the girls is much to consider, NG II is just a more enjoyable experience. For two reasons primarily:

1. You have so many projectile and sub-weapons to consider, giving you a whole range of options when approaching any given battle. Sigma 2 removed all of that leaving it up to you and your weapon alone.

2. HP. Less enemies and more HP really ruin the dynamic of this series. It's a survival based action game, you are meant to take out your enemies quickly and not chain long combos and the sort. With less enemies and more HP, Sigma 2 absolutely kills your momentum and encourages you to rely on UT spamming since you can't stay in one place too long without someone else coming up to you. That's why Sigma 2 is the more difficult of the two as well.

There are plenty of other reasons to consider. The blood and more balanced Master Ninja mode from NG II also win out. Nonetheless, I enjoy what we got and if you are looking to complete a few Missions, do let me know!

Real_Account
3 years ago#3
Thanks for the reply!

What weapons do Sigma 2 missing though? The only thing that I noticed are the harpoon gun (which i think is worthless and only good for the water part) and the wind shuriken. I miss non of those weapons and consider them useless.

As for UT spamming, I think NGII relies on that much more, largely due to the unbalance difficulty and a massive amount of explosive projectile spamming from the enemies. I reply on UT spamming for i-frame A LOT more in NGII than Sigma 2 (especially on higher difficulty).

NGII also seems to focus more on just throwing a large number of enemies at you, instead of AI. I noticed the enemies in Sigma 2 are a lot smarter as well, to make up for that.

I guess I just have a different take on it. I just feel like Sigma 2 is just so much more polished and a lot more fun. Every time I play NGII I feel like I'm playing a broken and incomplete game.

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
3 years ago#4
Afair, incendiary shurikens and arrows ( which along with the windmill shuriken could be UT charged! ).

You could take out a lot of enemies from afar and clear your path, plus with the larger enemy count and TOVs, there were more opportunities to collect essence and buy stuff should you need it. I didn't even mention holding on to spirit of the devils and lives of the gods for even more health and magic boosts which Sigma 2 didn't have.

Basically, Sigma 2 is a much harder game and NG II a more hectic one.

Either way, both games have their advantages and drawbacks. I just wish the PS3 port would have stayed the same and just added more stuff, not subtracted.

User Info: TeddyFresh

TeddyFresh
3 years ago#5
Yeah prefer the original NG2 on 360. So much so I dusted it off and started playing it again after 6 years. Sigma 2 damage system is crappy as hell. (foundation for NG3 RE crappy damage system) Had to izuna drop a ID black spider THREE times before he died. They took all the sub weapons out while I am not a fan of the girls per say they should have made those optional and not mandatory. All doors open so no extremely light exploring...You can't upgrade your weapons at will when you have the money (terrible choice)

I thought sigma 2 was actually easier than NG 2

User Info: You_Need_A_Life

You_Need_A_Life
2 years ago#6
Personally, I thought it was way too easy and I hated how stripped down and streamlined it was. The Upgrade system was a joke, the three or so enemies you fight at a time was boring and far too easy (even MNM was a joke - the only thing remotely difficult about it was insta-kill grabs, and you shouldn't be getting grabbed by the time you play MNM anyway).

The lack of gore wasn't a huge deal, but it was disappointing. Nonetheless, my beef with Sigma 2 was the lack of difficulty and the watered down experience. I vastly preferred the original NGII.

As it stands, if we pretend the original NG3 never happened, then Sigma 1 is my most favourite, Razor's Edge is my second, and Sigma 2 is my least.

User Info: knight0022

knight0022
2 years ago#7
Sigma 2 is the best.

NGII is a broken and unfinished POS.

User Info: SSJ4Angelus

SSJ4Angelus
2 years ago#8
WhyWontHeFall posted...
Good question. Most people whom you come across on these boards will defend NG II simply because they are either Xbox or Itagaki fanboys ( who even knows if he designed the game to begin with ).

I don't think most are XBOX fanboys or Itagaki fans. I prefer Itagaki's work over Hayashi's(at least from the games and sequels I've played where Hayashi does an incarnation of the game Itagaki was behind). I prefer X360 over PS3, but that's because of the crappy quality of the PS3. I've gone through 5 60GIG PS3s and only 2 X360s, and I play X360 more than PS3, as well as getting a PS3 2 years after a launch X360. PS3 does have some great games, but X360 does as well, so from a gaming standpoint, I'm not a fan of one console over the other.

As someone who has played and gotten all the achievements/trophies for both NGII & NGS2, I can say that I prefer NGII over NGS2. The gameplay is faster, more enemies per encounter, blood, extra weapons & more fights than NGS2. I prefer the Mission Mode of NGII as opposed to the co-op missions where you need a second player to even have a chance of completing the later missions and I also rather play alone than with someone else. NGS2 had a better AI balance with less IS spam by the AI, but at the same time, Hayashi nerfed the game completely with the lack of enemies and removal of fights for Ryu in the story. NGII didn't have anywhere near the lag that NGS2 had in the story after installing it to the HDD. The only time I experienced it was on the stair fight, which was nerfed in NGS2. Just pausing to switch weapons or use an item(I didn't like using the menu at the bottom of the screen for switching and using items) caused a loading screen symbol to pop up in the right corner in NGS2, whereas NGII didn't suffer from such a thing.
Do we fight in order to gain more power, or do we gain more power in order to fight? - Kenpachi Zaraki, the Captain of Squad Eleven

Real_Account
2 years ago#9
What is this "lag" in Sigma 2 that you guys keep talking about? Can u guys point out the specific?

User Info: SSJ4Angelus

SSJ4Angelus
2 years ago#10
There is lag in the co-op missions but that is from the internet connection between the players, as well as the framerate drop from the number of enemies. The lag in single player is the framerate drop during gameplay because of what's going on onscreen and for me, or what I call it, the lag from loading for something so simple that didn't exist in the original.
Do we fight in order to gain more power, or do we gain more power in order to fight? - Kenpachi Zaraki, the Captain of Squad Eleven
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  3. How do you all feel about NG: Sigma 2?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived