• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Skylanders Swap Force
  3. New Player with a few questions

User Info: LichOfThePen

LichOfThePen
5 years ago#1
Hey everyone,

I had been on the fence with these games for a while, and I decided to jump in on Swap Force. I pre-ordered the dark pack starter, but was going through the backlog of figures to see any others I was interested in.

I noticed that there are several versions of some figures, and I haven't found any solid answers about something. Do the abilities of each figure change with each release? For example Chop Chop looks pretty cool, but I saw there's a new version of him coming out when Swap Force hits that has dual swords instead of sword and shield. Does this mean the new figure will play differently from the old ones? Should I hold off on getting him until the new one releases, or is it more like they're really 2 separate characters with different abilities, so getting both would be cool too?

I was also reading about some characters abilities being unlocked from obtaining an item in the various games. Does this mean if I get an old figure from the original, or giants sets I won't be able to unlock those abilities in Swap Force?

This last one might be kind of silly, but worth a shot. I know Swap Force comes out Oct 13, but do all the announced figures come out at the same time, or gradually get released afterward?

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I didn't turn anything up when looking. Thanks a bunch in advance.

User Info: Rossmacdaddy

Rossmacdaddy
5 years ago#2
LichOfThePen posted...
I noticed that there are several versions of some figures, and I haven't found any solid answers about something. Do the abilities of each figure change with each release?

Here's one way to look at it - The "versions" of each Skylander can be separated by the color of their base.

In Series 1 (green base), Chop Chop had two versions - Chop Chop and Legendary Chop Chop. Aside from a different paint job and slightly altered stats, they played EXACTLY the same.

In Series 2 (orange base), Chop Chop got only one version - Series 2 Chop Chop. This time, Chop Chop got a Series 2 "Wow-Pow" upgrade - Shield Skewer. This is true of ALL Series 2 characters... they all got a Wow-Pow upgrade. These upgrades gave Series 2 characters another move to use, or enhanced an existing move. Otherwise, the character was identical to their Series 1 counterpart(s).

In Series 3 (blue base), Chop Chop is getting a Series 3 repose. However, Activision seems to be handling these Series 3 characters much differently. Instead of augmenting characters slightly, they seem to be reworking them. In Chop Chop's case, he is losing his shield in favor of two swords. The jury is out on how he will play now, but I expect that he will play quite differently from Series 1 or 2 Chop Chop.

So far, we've seen only a little of Series 3 character gameplay, but I have noticed that Ninja Stealth Elf and Mega Ram Spyro have differences. For example, Ninja Stealth Elf can now turn into some kind of neon tiger for an attack - which seems to replace her acrobatics flip move. As for Spyro, his damage output has changed considerably. I posted a video link recently to a FGTV convention playthrough of a snow level in Swap Force. In this level, Spyro was dealing 42 damage with his primary attack, where previously it was 15/20 depending on your path choice. No matter what, I would expect that Series 3 characters are a significant enough departure from their previous versions to be considered different ways of playing the game.

I was also reading about some characters abilities being unlocked from obtaining an item in the various games. Does this mean if I get an old figure from the original, or giants sets I won't be able to unlock those abilities in Swap Force?

Probably. In Giants, Series 1 characters did not unlock Heroic Challenges in Giants. This made it impossible to fully power up a character in Giants unless you had access to all Series 2 characters.

In Swap Force, we might not have that issue. Bonus Missions seem to replace Heroic Challenges. I don't have any details to share, sadly, but if this is true, then the need to collect em all might not be as compulsive. However, it's still possible that registering more blue base figures to a save file unlocks more bonus missions... so...

This last one might be kind of silly, but worth a shot. I know Swap Force comes out Oct 13, but do all the announced figures come out at the same time, or gradually get released afterward?

Nope. As someone who has bought every single one of these things, this used to make me FURIOUS. However, I've started to appreciate why it's done this way. It spreads out the cost, for one. It also keeps interest flowing and reduces needed shelf space. In the end it would be nice if we could pick and choose from the start, but the current format feels the collectors in all of us to be watchful for new releases. :)
Growing old is mandatory. Growing UP is optional.
WiiU profile name - rossmacdaddy

User Info: LichOfThePen

LichOfThePen
5 years ago#3
Thanks a bunch Ross, that really cleared everything up for me. I actually remember seeing your video of the damage comparison when I was looking into swap force media.

I ended up getting the Series 2 version of Chop Chop, since if it plays differently than the new one coming, it'll be 2 different play experiences.
  1. Boards
  2. Skylanders Swap Force
  3. New Player with a few questions
  • Topic Archived