• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Which is the backstory video to watch before playing The Witcher 3?

User Info: jcgonzmo

jcgonzmo
3 months ago#1
I am going to start the game but I think I need some backstory because I have not played the others.

User Info: kiss_utama

kiss_utama
3 months ago#2
There's this thing called search on YouTube the one with 🔍 icon…
Time I was on my way. So long.

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
3 months ago#3
Search for TW1 and TW2 games recapped. The videos can be as short as 20 minutes each. Don't go any shorter as they will leave some stuff out.
I believe in Liberty for all, Guns, the Bible and president Trump.

User Info: DABaracus

DABaracus
3 months ago#4
Honestly, you don't really need to know anything about the prior 2 games. Anything you need to know, you will learn from exposition in the game.

The Witcher 3 was my 1st intro to this world; I didn't have any knowledge about any of the books or the 1st 2 games before playing, & I wasn't lost at all. If you start playing & are lost, you can go to the wiki page & find more detailed backstories about all the characters. But again, I don't think that's all that necessary...

jurbanik
3 months ago#5
DABaracus posted...
Honestly, you don't really need to know anything about the prior 2 games. Anything you need to know, you will learn from exposition in the game.

The Witcher 3 was my 1st intro to this world; I didn't have any knowledge about any of the books or the 1st 2 games before playing, & I wasn't lost at all. If you start playing & are lost, you can go to the wiki page & find more detailed backstories about all the characters. But again, I don't think that's all that necessary...

While you may not be lost I guarantee there were things you had no idea or clue about. Did you know who Thaler was and why he was selling shoes?

There are a number of things like this.

User Info: ShortReplies

ShortReplies
3 months ago#6
DABaracus posted...

What the T.C is doing is absolutely the right thing to do, kudos to him for actually caring about the previous games, this means he is willing to invest into the series and give it a fair chance. Thats what i always recommend.
As Jurbanik said, watch recap videos.

Personally i think watching a cutscene video is more detailed, you will watch every cutscene in the main quests for each games, but a recap will explain things to you so it may actually be the better choice.
Watching cutscnes for yourself and understand them by yourself watching only VS a recap where someone tells you what happened with maybe some cutscenes about important events + probably explaining stuff from the books.

You cant go wrong with both.

User Info: DABaracus

DABaracus
3 months ago#7
jurbanik posted...
While you may not be lost I guarantee there were things you had no idea or clue about. Did you know who Thaler was and why he was selling shoes?

There are a number of things like this.

I was able to get the gist of who he was from playing the game. Do I know his backstory? No. Do I get every Easter egg? No. But that didn't stop me from understanding what was going on or enjoying the game. Obviously, by not playing the previous games or reading the books I don't fully appreciate everything that's going on or the nuance of some of these things, but you don't NEED to be familiar w/ the previous stories to understand & play this game. The story & the scenes are done in such a way that you can follow what's going on.

jurbanik
3 months ago#8
I never said you NEED to do it. But I have said it really helps and you get a much fully understanding and appreciation. As another example you are asked if Letho was alive or not. Never played TW2 you have no idea who Letho is or if he should be alive or not. There is no NEED for either choice but you will understand and make an informed decision.

Shani in the DLC is another example. Dykstra, Ves and Roche and that decision. Without TW2 the choice is really meaningless. But it is not necessary.

User Info: Kaz13

Kaz13
3 months ago#9
Look into a youtuber called Witcher George, he does lore videos on characters within the games while also noting the relevance to the books.
I had a god damned P L A N
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Which is the backstory video to watch before playing The Witcher 3?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A