• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Giving this game a retry, fresh start, few questions(spoilers)

User Info: completeboy

completeboy
1 month ago#1
my biggest issue was weapon degrading real fast, difficulty spikes in different areas and few other things I have forgotten, I am giving this another try to get my money worth, wasted too much money on many games I have deleted without finishing

<1> I should keep 5 pair of swords at all times?

<2> besides healing and repair items what should I keep in stock at all times?
Video games are a part of my life.

User Info: GNS1991

GNS1991
1 month ago#2
<1> You do not need five pairs of swords. If you loot everything that is not nailed down, you should have enough resources to repair your gear on the go to last you till you get some better durable gear (primarily Witcher's gear). Until you get Witcher gear (there are wolf, griffin, cat and bear school gear; depends on your playstyle), simply choose the swords you find that have better stats than the previous one. Afterwards, when you get Witcher gear, you should strive for upgrading them. In the game, there is only a couple of items better than your Witcher gear (but those are in the DLC expansions, so don't worry about them till you finish the main game, and probably Hearts of Stone expansion).

Addendum, gear is only not durable (it degraded fast), if you go toe-to-toe with foes, which are way above your level, like >5 levels above you.

<2> Alcohol is a must. If you brewed potions/made bombs at least once, you need alcohol to replenish your stock. Medidate, and you depeleted stock of potions/bombs will replenish as long as you have alcohol in your inventory.
(edited 1 month ago)

completeboy
1 month ago#3
i see, forgot to ask some other questions

is there level scaling here or are there are any other options about it as I am playing in story and sword difficulty, didn't like enemy scaling in odyssey, too much hp spongefest

does everything you do matter in the open world? like I killed the bandits near the starting point, also found a bandit camp and killed them, found notes which would lead to treasures or extra quests I assume

enemies do not repswan I think or do they?

I also am going to play kingdome come deliverance again which is a very realistic game, perhaps a bit too realistic and the forests in that game are unlike most games but witcher 3 forest patches are impressive so are the graphics, so far glad for the retry, still under initial data not sure how much should I progress in main story will I finish the download, if I like it this time, I will get the final dlc that I do not have, blood and wine

combat does not feel clunky this time but one thing I noted recently in most games, I expect a common move, DEFEND, give me a defend option in games, I am sure that there I no defend here, no shields either, same case why I dislike bloodborne but also retrying that as of now, action rpgs or jrpgs / wrpgs, I expect a common move like defend otherwise it feels cheap to me, combat issue so far right now, or the only issue I should say is that it is too fast for my liking, it needed a turn based like cool down for enemies and the player, having an npc or other player would have added a lot of depth to this game, which skyrim has but it is super boring and unplayable for me

I remember spending points towards upgrading fire but later noticed that I had a better fire spell unlocked as I level up, do not want to upgrade even Gwen spell for now, that is the only spell that I find helpful so far

EDIT I see, now you clear enemies in certain places and it will get habitat by people
(edited 1 month ago)

GNS1991
1 month ago#4
is there level scaling here or are there are any other options about it as I am playing in story and sword difficulty, didn't like enemy scaling in odyssey, too much hp spongefest
You can turn it on and off in the options menu.
does everything you do matter in the open world?
Yes, and no. Some side quests could have an impact on how the game world reacts to you, but that's not always the case.
enemies do not repswan I think or do they?
Non quest enemies do respawn. Quest area enemies do not.

completeboy
1 month ago#5
I am at level 3 but with 6 or more skills unlocked but I think slots to equip skills increase as you level up

everything has become rather easy, weapon needed repair only once, I have fought a lot of drowners and wolves mainly, drowners were hardest but even they are easy now, wraiths have been easy too

no idea how leveling works as I do get experienced upon finding buried treasure or bombing monster nest or perhaps killing enemies too as well as quest based experience, I am not sure if I am over leveled as I am still at white orchid

exploration has been fun, I do avoid getting attacked by rolling and swift movement to left or right, the kinda move in bloodborne, haven't bothered using parrying or igni nor other spells expect Gwen but I only used igni a few times it dealt big damage to wolves which was surprising to note

now when I quit the game earlier I was in skellige brothers in arms quest, no idea how far I was there but I do remember weapon and armor degradation issue so no idea if it is due to game update as I am still playing initial data and game is not fully downloaded nor is on of the dlcs I have bought

I do not think that I did turned on enemy scaling in the past as it is turned off

in short, I have no idea why I was struggling badly in the past, I am still not bothering to use oils or special potions like thunderbolt for griffin, griffin boss was not able to hit me more than once

I have warrior leather jacket medium armor 30, I think I did crafted it, haven't paid attention to crafting either

I am not sure if I am not struggling as it is the starting area and I will likely struggle as usual later or I am playing game different which I am not sure of either, I do remember trying to evade drowner attacks in the past too, perhaps exploring in the other open world areas ahead is hard due to enemies in certain places being of higher levels, maybe I was rushing the game earlier which would likely be the case as I do not remember bombing enemy nest in the past

anyways, overall fun, combat feels fine except a little slow pace would have been better, another player with you would be fun as I observed in griffin fight that having an npc made things more easy

is upgrading crossbow or its skills worth it? haven't used it except in griffin fight and underwater fight, a bow would have been also better but too bad it is not available while you clearly see npc and enemies with bows

game keeps showing treasures already explored like guarded treasure or monster nests which I think is wrong as it should be removed from the map to avoid confusion as once you have been there and did what is necessary it should not be shown up in the map

and I assume that fighting with precision planning like the spells that locks wraiths or other enemies inside a circle or slows them down would make things even easier
(edited 1 month ago)

GNS1991
1 month ago#6
no idea how leveling works

Don't try to farm XP by killing monsters, it's not worth it. You get much XP from doing quests (id est, main mission, side mission and activities, which are in your quest log). Don't worry, if you are over-levelled (if anything, it's better than being under-levelled). It never bothered me one bit. I liked one hitting everything.

I am not sure if I am not struggling as it is the starting area

The starting area is to familiarize yourself with combat and gameplay. If you know how to block, parry, evade, use signs and/or bombs (in addition to hacking and slashing), I'd say you are good to go. BTW, the Bestiary provides information on monsters and their weaknesses. So, if you found a book about monsters, read it; chances are you will get new info about stuff (alternatively, keep killing monsters until new entry is added about them). E.g., ghosts are suspectable to Spectre Oil and Yarden sign (the sign slows them down, while they are in it, and makes them corporeal).

is upgrading crossbow or its skills worth it?

Crossbow is only necessary to one shot drowners while diving in the water, and later in the game, cripple flying f***s like Harpes, so they would fall down on the ground, and Geralt can one-shot them with his sword (but I simply usded Axii for this, I think).

game keeps showing treasures already explored

Unexplored treasure is still white on your map. Explored treasure is greyed-out.

completeboy
1 month ago#7
GNS1991 posted...
Don't try to farm XP by killing monsters, it's not worth it. You get much XP from doing quests (id est, main mission, side mission and activities, which are in your quest log). Don't worry, if you are over-levelled (if anything, it's better than being under-levelled). It never bothered me one bit. I liked one hitting everything.

The starting area is to familiarize yourself with combat and gameplay. If you know how to block, parry, evade, use signs and/or bombs (in addition to hacking and slashing), I'd say you are good to go. BTW, the Bestiary provides information on monsters and their weaknesses. So, if you found a book about monsters, read it; chances are you will get new info about stuff (alternatively, keep killing monsters until new entry is added about them). E.g., ghosts are suspectable to Spectre Oil and Yarden sign (the sign slows them down, while they are in it, and makes them corporeal).

Crossbow is only necessary to one shot drowners while diving in the water, and later in the game, cripple flying f***s like Harpes, so they would fall down on the ground, and Geralt can one-shot them with his sword (but I simply usded Axii for this, I think).

Unexplored treasure is still white on your map. Explored treasure is greyed-out.

I am pretty sure it is shown in white color but maybe I am sitting far from the 32inch tv I have

I want to power level as I prefer over leveling in any game, do not want challenge as challenges often end up frustrating or waste of time as you know you will get pass it if you not make a mistake or to

now ofcourse challenging boss fights are exception, I recently finished yakuza 0 and kiwami and the bosses in 0 were impressive and challenging

I did a little search and found that assassins creed odyssey now has an option for setting enemy scaling so I am giving that another go as well

I am still new to ps4, bought it less than 9 months or 10 months ago, witcher 3 still impresses with graphics, music although repetitive and artistic design, also I checked witcher 1 and 2 story on an ign video and it seems very similar to any other typical dragon age or other wrpg setting but I am more interested about learning the wild hunt, that stuff seems straight out of some typical anime storyline

I could be wrong but I do not see downers respawning in the spots I killed them, only common enemy I see most so far are the wolves and the resident evil hunter like creatures

I have bought an item to carry more items, I know that I could use any tavern's chest to put items there, I think there would be a skill to hold more stuff too

currently level 4 and report griffin and did all possible quests, I do not read faqs anymore, explored as much as possible in the white orchid plains

my only concerns for now is once the game is installed fully, which will take days or weeks as ain't no unlimited internet here, I better not struggle with sword and armor degradations quickly as I will not bother following main story but kill enemies on the map and find treasures and side quest stuff and I better not get bored in city missions, cities in these games are a chore, I have played a lot of witcher 1 too, random enemy fights in the city feels cheap but I find human enemies more fun and easy to fight
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
1 month ago#8
completeboy posted...
I am pretty sure it is shown in white color but maybe I am sitting far from the 32inch tv I have

I want to power level as I prefer over leveling in any game, do not want challenge as challenges often end up frustrating or waste of time as you know you will get pass it if you not make a mistake or to

Like the old Proco Harum song "a whiter shade of pale".

Forget power leveling. XP mostly comes from quests and especially the main quests. But once you get 5 levels above you get very limited XP. It's not worth it.
I support real LGBT rights (Liberty, Guns, Bible, Trump)!
I Self Identify as a BLT (Black Lesbian in Transition like Gilliam does)

completeboy
1 month ago#9
jurbanik posted...
Like the old Proco Harum song "a whiter shade of pale".

Forget power leveling. XP mostly comes from quests and especially the main quests. But once you get 5 levels above you get very limited XP. It's not worth it.
so may be due to that, I kept struggling later at skellige, because I was exploring and killing monsters and found my weapons and armors degrading real fast, enemies feeling real hard, damn that is bad

so I have to search every possible side quest and every possible guarded treasure and burn monster nests while I explore to get the most xp out of it?

GNS1991
1 month ago#10
completeboy posted...
so may be due to that, I kept struggling later at skellige, because I was exploring and killing monsters and found my weapons and armors degrading real fast, enemies feeling real hard, damn that is bad

so I have to search every possible side quest and every possible guarded treasure and burn monster nests while I explore to get the most xp out of it?
Essentially, yes. Also, if you do not want to feel OP (but granted, you will be anyways), turn on level scaling and play on the hardest difficulty. Enemies will scale to your level.
the wild hunt, that stuff seems straight out of some typical anime storyline
Actually, it's a mesh of Nordic and Slavic folklore.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Giving this game a retry, fresh start, few questions(spoilers)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A