• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. The Lore of Runes and Glyphs

User Info: Mr Penguin 007

Mr Penguin 007
1 month ago#1
I haven't looked anything up yet, but my intuitive understanding is that they are symbols with specific meanings or intentions attached to them. These intentions are so strong that they have effects on the materials they're engraved into.

So a "Runeword" is like a sentence made of these intentions? Considering the Runewright's spirituality it might be more apt to call those enchantments a "prayer."

Thoughts?
PSN: Coltoneus
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas

User Info: SoulOfFayth

SoulOfFayth
1 month ago#2
There isn't much lore on them aside from the fact that Geralt's Sihill in the books had runes on it which made it effective against monsters, but I assume they work like 'static' magic spells (since spells are made up of words and gestures). How they get bound to runes is a mystery though since any child could draw a rune symbol but that doesn't immediately give it power.
Combining runes into words is like an incantation from how the Runewright explains it, but again there is little lore surrounding it and it's mostly a game mechanic.
'If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, for ever.'

User Info: Mr Penguin 007

Mr Penguin 007
1 month ago#3
My interest in them transcends W3. Many games and media have runes and glyphs. The general lore of them interests me and I wonder if their efficacy has any basis in reality.
PSN: Coltoneus
"I smoke 'cause it gives me knowledge!" - Citizen of San Andreas

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
4 weeks ago#4
Mr Penguin 007 posted...
My interest in them transcends W3. Many games and media have runes and glyphs. The general lore of them interests me and I wonder if their efficacy has any basis in reality.

It did but the magic has waned from the Earth. The runes took this magical force and would apply some of that to the item the runes were attached to. Now this magical force is pretty small, relatively. In other words it could not cope or stop a bomb or even a bullet. But it could help a sword or the person wielding the sword.

In battle it might help the sword cut a little faster or deeper. It might help the user focus more. But against modern weapons this additional benefit is minuscule.
I support real LGBT rights (Liberty, Guns, Bible, Trump)!
No collusion, no obstruction = 2020 VICTORY.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. The Lore of Runes and Glyphs
  • Post New Message