• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Just killed Archgriffin at level 10 + Death March.(possible quest spoilers)

User Info: Jtenka

Jtenka
2 months ago#1
So i started the quest for the Master Armourer. Headed to Skellige where I barely made it past the sirens. I followed the blood trail through the cave using magic to knock over enemies and Quen to tank poison bursts from fallen devourers when I hit my first wall.

3 devourers in a hut that I couldnt knock over or damage due to the level. I had to bait one at a time to the edge of the cliff and roll just as they dived at the cliff hitting Aard to blast them off the mountain. For some reason the game reacts like they've been stuffed with dynamite and they explode upon touching the cliff edge.

Then I thought I'd done it and could collect the blacksmiths tools. Only to find an ice troll with ?? In red. No matter what I did I couldn't damage or bait this thing outside and it killed me in a single hit. After 20 minutes of trying to kill it i reloaded and tried the Wyvern decoction. 1% damage increase per hit so long as you don't take damage. This thing is OP. Paired with Qeun the ice troll was too slow to get more than one shot off and can be staggered for 4 power attacks each time. At first the damage did nothing but after a few minutes I began to chip away at its life. Eventually doing massive damage and killing the troll. Collected the blacksmiths tools and fat travelled to hand them in only to find it needed acid from the archgriffin.

Checking my decoction symbol I still had 60% left on the Wyvern buff. Headed to the Griffin fight..again ?? Level. It took me 3 attempts to eventually kill it. I had to spam fast attacks to build up the % of damage from the Wyvern decoction while spamming Quen to save myself from being OHK. I managed to pull it off with about 30 seconds left before the buff ended and I reverted back to peasant damage.

I feel like a badass. Even if this Archgriffin was weaker than the end game version this thing was more than twice my level. And it had to be the perfect fight. Now I have my witcher armor at level 11.
GT - Jtenka
PSN- Jtenka
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
2 months ago#2
And you will be rewarded by getting access to gear that you can't use because you aren't a high enough level yet. Nice accomplishment in killing that stuff but to be brutal it was a waste.

At level 11 you can only use Griffen stuff and any smith could make it.
I support real LGBT rights (Liberty, Guns, Bible, Trump)!
No collusion, no obstruction = 2020 VICTORY.

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
2 months ago#3
As Jurbanik says, pointless achievement.
Any reason why you did it?

Jtenka
2 months ago#4
Why is it pointless? Because I didn't get gold? Because there's no trophy? Because I can't use the witch hunter armor?

I did it because I wanted to unlock the master Smith and to see if it was possible to kill these things as early in the game as I was. I might not have a physically usable item but this was by far one of the most rewarding feeling I've ever had as opposed to thunderstomping everything I come across. It gave me a similar feeling to the first time I killed Smough and Ornstein.
GT - Jtenka
PSN- Jtenka
(edited 2 months ago)

jurbanik
2 months ago#5
Oh yea and I forgot. You first have to find all the designs for all lower level gear and actually make those before you can even make the GM gear. In order to actually craft a piece of witcher gear you need the prior version of that gear unless it's the lowest level one.

And by the time you do all of that you'll be around level 24 which meant you could have done that quest at a proper level with less hassle.

That said it was impressive that you killed those monsters on DM at such a low level.

User Info: craig_psn

craig_psn
2 months ago#6
I can appreciate why he did it: the challenge. I also liked to go after monsters much higher than my level, especially in Skellige. For fun too. I have never managed to drop anything off a cliff with Aard...I'm disappointed.

Jtenka
2 months ago#7
I have the initial blueprints. I always enjoyed gaming more when i can find challenges and see if you can do things the game tells you you're not supposed to. Following the string is boring if you do it all the time.

I remember always wishing there was a way to take that first hero quest on fable 1.
GT - Jtenka
PSN- Jtenka
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
2 months ago#8
I said it was an achievement TC.
Just a pretty pointless one. You don't need to craft master gear until much later.
Well, i guess it's useful if you want to craft tier 3 runestones.

jurbanik
2 months ago#9
Jtenka posted...
I have the initial blueprints.

But you need the blueprints for every level of gear. There's basic which you probably are referring to. But then you take that gear and make it into enhanced gear, followed by superior gear and then mastercrafted gear. And then in the DLC you get to make grandmaster gear.

So in order to actually make the mastercrafted gear you have to find and build all lower versions of the gear.

I appreciate and applaud you for killing those monsters. But my comment and I think what @rockabilly_man was referring to was your comment: "Now I have my witcher armor at level 11."

What we're saying is you already have basic witcher armor at that level without having to do this and if you meant you had mastercrafted witcher armor then that is incorrect because you can't use it and you need all the lower level blueprints.

EDIT: I just checked and you actually need to be level 30 and 31 to use the mastercrafted Feline/Griffen gear. Bear school requires level 34.
(edited 2 months ago)

Jtenka
2 months ago#10
jurbanik posted...
Jtenka posted...
I have the initial blueprints.

But you need the blueprints for every level of gear. There's basic which you probably are referring to. But then you take that gear and make it into enhanced gear, followed by superior gear and then mastercrafted gear. And then in the DLC you get to make grandmaster gear.

So in order to actually make the mastercrafted gear you have to find and build all lower versions of the gear.

I appreciate and applaud you for killing those monsters. But my comment and I think what @rockabilly_man was referring to was your comment: "Now I have my witcher armor at level 11."

What we're saying is you already have basic witcher armor at that level without having to do this and if you meant you had mastercrafted witcher armor then that is incorrect because you can't use it and you need all the lower level blueprints.

EDIT: I just checked and you actually need to be level 30 and 31 to use the mastercrafted Feline/Griffen gear. Bear school requires level 34.
GT - Jtenka
PSN- Jtenka
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Just killed Archgriffin at level 10 + Death March.(possible quest spoilers)
  • Post New Message