You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Iris and the afterlife-spoilers

User Info: angryguy77

angryguy77
1 month ago#1
Just finished HoS over the weekend and I enjoyed this story very much. I'm still thinking about the choices made. So many things about this story arc to unpack. Forgive me if the following is a little scattered......

One thing I do not understand at all is how Geralt is not certain about there being an afterlife. He's fought how many spirits up to this point? He's literally standing in front of one who possessed such power that she could create a world inside a painting.

I get it, some might think Iris' existence or the the other ghosts encountered prove there is something beyond that. However, lets think about this in another way. If there is a soul that leaves the body, then there is a spiritual realm. A soul would mean they're created beings. If there is a creator, then why would he not have a place to gather these souls? Why would he only allow them to roam the earth and then kill them off completely, or at least some of them? It wouldn't be logical to assume there is another level to ascend to, or there would be a different kind of ghost world to live in like Olgierd's family is. It wouldn't make sense for some souls to go on and others just go to a void and cease to be.

As for my decision, I chose to take the rose. It was stated that even the happy memories were clouded with sadness, so even though her nightmares have been defeated, the memories she had to live with didn't seem all that great. After you go back to the physical world, if you go back into the house, you can still hear the whispers. Now this doesn't confirm she's still around, but if the spirit haunting that place is gone, where would those voices be coming from? Just something to think about.

A couple of things I think they could have fleshed out a little better. I'd like to know where the dog and cat came from as well as the caretaker. I assume they were brought over via his blackmagic use, but it would've been nice to have some back story. Also, why was Iris bound to that house while living? Was she cursed to stay there by Olgried? All I recall is him stating that she'll be staying there, but no mention of a force being behind it.

Edit: Just remembered that ghost you fought in Skellige. When he beats you, he talks about seeing his ancestors and others feasting. Right there is enough evidence for me to say this was a poor decision on dialogue to have in the game because Geralt had proof of there being more than just the void.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
1 month ago#2
angryguy77 posted...
I'd like to know where the dog and cat came from as well as the caretaker. I assume they were brought over via his blackmagic use, but it would've been nice to have some back story. Also, why was Iris bound to that house while living? Was she cursed to stay there by Olgried? All I recall is him stating that she'll be staying there, but no mention of a force being behind it.

Edit: Just remembered that ghost you fought in Skellige. When he beats you, he talks about seeing his ancestors and others feasting. Right there is enough evidence for me to say this was a poor decision on dialogue to have in the game because Geralt had proof of there being more than just the void.

The dog and cat are demons from another void(realm) of existence.

Here is the entry for the caretaker:
"The being known as the Caretaker had been summoned to the von Everec estate from another realm, making "demon" its most accurate designation. The Caretaker had been forced into servitude by magic."

As for your larger premise of an afterlife I'm not sure where you think Geralt doesn't believe in one. Or maybe my memory is clouded by the "evidence" provided in the game.
I support real LGBT rights (Liberty, Guns, Bible, Trump)!
Vote for Jobs and not Mobs.

angryguy77
1 month ago#3
jurbanik posted...
angryguy77 posted...
I'd like to know where the dog and cat came from as well as the caretaker. I assume they were brought over via his blackmagic use, but it would've been nice to have some back story. Also, why was Iris bound to that house while living? Was she cursed to stay there by Olgried? All I recall is him stating that she'll be staying there, but no mention of a force being behind it.

The dog and cat are demons from another void(realm) of existence.

Here is the entry for the caretaker:
"The being known as the Caretaker had been summoned to the von Everec estate from another realm, making "demon" its most accurate designation. The Caretaker had been forced into servitude by magic."

As for your larger premise of an afterlife I'm not sure where you think Geralt doesn't believe in one. Or maybe my memory is clouded by the "evidence" provided in the game.

I know the car and dog were most likely demons, but I just would've like a little bit more backstory. How do they know Gunter etc.

I must have missed that part of the caretaker. I know he was summoned, but I'm still curious to know more.

Geralt flat-out says to Iris he's not sure if she'll continue to exist once she gives up the rose. I'm not saying he doesn't believe in one, I'm wondering how he can't say without a doubt there is given all he's seen.

jurbanik
1 month ago#4
You should check out the journal notes for more info on the cat and dog.

As for "existence" that is not after life belief. She created a realm in another dimension/plane. He was referring to that realm she created. It was the same realm that the dog and cat were trapped in.

angryguy77
1 month ago#5
jurbanik posted...
You should check out the journal notes for more info on the cat and dog.

As for "existence" that is not after life belief. She created a realm in another dimension/plane. He was referring to that realm she created. It was the same realm that the dog and cat were trapped in.

Not trying to be argumentative, so don't get me wrong.

I thought she had wondered if she was going into a void where she would cease to be? He said that giving him the rose would probably break her bond to the world and that's where her question about continuing to exist came it....or at least that's how I took it. He wasn't able to answer her question on if she would simply move to another plain of existence or cease to exist.

Thanks for the reply, after just going through this it's hard finding people who want to talk about it.

jurbanik
1 month ago#6
You are correct that Geralt could not tell her what would happen outside of breaking the bond to the realm she was in. The game doesn't even attempt to explain things but when you take into consideration the various religious beliefs that are in the game maybe the reason Geralt couldn't say is because he didn't know her beliefs.

In other words not everyone gets to heaven unless they are believers. That sort of logic.

I can't recall where in the game, and it might have been TW1 or TW2, but Geralt gets into a discussion about all of this. Some weird notion in my head was this was a conversation with Zoltan. He was talking to someone about their religion.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Iris and the afterlife-spoilers