You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Is Magic Mandatory ?

User Info: Zangato

Zangato
1 month ago#1
I wanna to get this game, but i was never fun of magic, is this game require you to use it? Or i can just melee through the game ?

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
1 month ago#2
Nope not at all. In fact the best builds rarely if ever use signs even on the hardest difficulty settings.
I support real LGBT rights (Liberty, Guns, Bible, Trump)!
Vote for Jobs and not Mobs.

User Info: MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla
1 month ago#3
I’ve never really used signs (magic) or bombs in this game outside of quen. My first playthrough I completely ignored oils and alchemy as well.

You can safely play the game doing nothing but melee and not have a terrible time. At least on normal difficulty. It does make life a lot easier to make use of oils and alchemy, but never a requirement, and never using signs doesn’t hurt you.
The sun doesn't give its light to the moon assuming the moon is going to owe it one - Linkin Park

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
1 month ago#4
There are a few points in the game where using a sign is mandatory to solve a puzzle, usually activating a portal. And you can train a sign and then it will popup in your conversations, sort of like the Jedi mind trick.
I support real LGBT rights (Liberty, Guns, Bible, Trump)!
Vote for Jobs and not Mobs.

User Info: Zangato

Zangato
1 month ago#5
jurbanik posted...
There are a few points in the game where using a sign is mandatory to solve a puzzle, usually activating a portal. And you can train a sign and then it will popup in your conversations, sort of like the Jedi mind trick.

Oh wow thats sucks :( Are those puzzles part of story or side missions?
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla
1 month ago#6
Yeah they are mandatory but they don’t require any training and it’s like a one second button press and that’s it. It doesn’t require you spending any points in it. So I wouldn’t count them in the sense you are speaking of. It is not a required play style or build. It’s there if you want it, and you need not spend a single point in it if you don’t want to.
The sun doesn't give its light to the moon assuming the moon is going to owe it one - Linkin Park
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: kiss_utama

kiss_utama
1 month ago#7
It's always fun to see enemies burn in fire or cast Axii on them then trigger a finisher.
Later on DLC you can make enemies explode by killing them with igni.
Sign is not necessary but it makes the fight easier.

User Info: HopesPeak

HopesPeak
1 month ago#8
Not really. I built up my sword techniques first & I've only played on Death March. The only magic I really use is that mind control one because it allows you to skip some battles through skill checks.
http://www.paradisehotel51.com

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
1 month ago#9
You should use the quen sign even if you don't like using magic.
It's sort of a shield.
Also Aard is perfect for crowd control when fighting humans.

User Info: aenimis

aenimis
1 month ago#10
rockabilly_man posted...
You should use the quen sign even if you don't like using magic.
It's sort of a shield.
Also Aard is perfect for crowd control when fighting humans.

He could also use the Armor runeword Protection to just have it auto-applied at the start of every battle. Its one of my favorite words for any non-sign builds.

Alchemy is so OP its really just ridiculous. Exploding Quen or 360° Aard + Superior Petri's Filter will let you Insta-kill even Red Skull enemies with the press of two buttons(R2 and then square for finisher)
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Is Magic Mandatory ?