You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. I really don't get the appeal of this game. *Spoilers*

User Info: Leicalol

Leicalol
1 month ago#1
And I gave it a fair shot, played for 110 hours when I beat the game, played a sign build on Death March.

Issues:

Game starts out fairly challenging but goes from that to VERY trivial in under a dozen hours to the point where combat becomes spam igni till it dies or roll and slash till it dies, no substance. I never crafted potions or Witcher gear, nor did I ever use oils because it's cumbersome to do so, still easy.

Bosses are absolute trash, they're seriously bottom of the barrel garbage. They aren't threating enough yet they take FOREVER to kill because they're immune to signs. Willing to bet CDPR never had significant people test these fights with different builds and the majority of them just assumed everyone would go a melee build, which is probably correct but it's a roleplaying game, build variety and min-maxing is like the most important thing, you can't just balance it this sloppily and arbitrarily not make offensive spells function because it's a boss.

Every single quest is the same thing, sniff turds or feet and walk around till you find what you have to kill, over and over, for a narrative focused game you sure spend a lot of time with the bad combat.

Narrative/story is okay but has a ton of holes, doesn't reward players for playing the first two games nearly enough, no Iorveth nor Saskia, there's tons of awkward scenes that make no sense and it lacks subtlety. Dijkstra decides to kill off Roche, Ves and Thaler in essentially a brawl in which he's partaking himself even though the quest earlier said him and Thaler aren't suited to fighting? Siding with him isn't even a bad choice per se and has some merit but they make it blatantly obvious they want you to kill him off, why not make it so you have to pick between the two parties and going with Dijkstra ends up the other party assasinated off-screen so it doesn't try and force you in one direction? Same issue with Nilfgaard being painted as the good guys far too much.

Game is pretty to look at and has great music.

That's about it, needed to rant.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: TheFireBird

TheFireBird
1 month ago#2
Fair enough but your claims that reduce the experience in the different areas of gaming could be used for any game.
Still hating Randy Orton since 2005. If he were any other wrestler he would have been fired years ago.

User Info: kiss_utama

kiss_utama
1 month ago#3
There's Iorveth… on gwent, Scoiatael deck, hero card.

User Info: SoulOfFayth

SoulOfFayth
1 month ago#4
Shame you didn't understand the story.
And it's a good thing the game doesn't require you to have played the first 2.

But I've been looking for games with great storytelling, so please recommend some games with better narrative, subtle dialogue and deeper characters.
'If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, for ever.'

User Info: Leicalol

Leicalol
1 month ago#5
SoulOfFayth posted...

But I've been looking for games with great storytelling, so please recommend some games with better narrative, subtle dialogue and deeper characters.

Pretty sure I grasped the story perfectly fine, more so than most I'd wager since I know what books it uses for reference.

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
1 month ago#6
Leicalol posted...
SoulOfFayth posted...

Pretty sure I grasped the story perfectly fine, more so than most I'd wager since I know what books it uses for reference.

So recommend another game then like the guy asked.
I would like to know as well.

User Info: Nathalmighty1

Nathalmighty1
1 month ago#7
Weird that you don't get the appeal of the game but played for 110 hours... I mean surely there was enjoyment had otherwise why play for so long?

Also complaining about bosses taking ages to kill but completely ignoring potions and oils? That's on you then bud.
A cornered fox is more dangerous than a jackal!

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
1 month ago#8
rockabilly_man posted...
Leicalol posted...
SoulOfFayth posted...

So recommend another game then like the guy asked.
I would like to know as well.

He'll never do that. As he said he felt like ranting today.

Not to mention that Saskia, while cool was a bit part in TW2 and she just might be DEAD so why have her in this game?

Loved how he said bosses were too easy then said bosses took too long to kill.

But the reason I know he's a troll is based on this one line:

"Every single quest is the same thing".

Unless he means by "same thing" that it has a start, and solution then yes. Otherwise he's full of it. How is Cerys quest the same as say Get Junior?
I support real LGBT rights (Liberty, Guns, Bible, Trump)!
Vote for Jobs and not Mobs.

User Info: GNS1991

GNS1991
1 month ago#9
Lol, didn't get the appeal, but played 110 hours. Suuuure, either you paid a butt load of money for the game, and you played it just to make a point, or you like wasting your time with stuff you don't like. I mean, if I don't like a game within a couple of hours, I uninstall it/return/it delete it/sell it/give it away, but don't continue to play for n hours of it.

User Info: jurbanik

jurbanik
1 month ago#10
No he could very well have played 100 hours and at the end decided he didn't like the game. I've played over 100 hours and got a 96% completion rate for MEA. I also think MEA is a TERRIBLE game. Why did I do it?

1) I loved the ME trilogy.
2) I hoped the story would deliver in the end.
3) I'm compulsive and have to complete things.

But on the other hand I can argue with logic and clarity why I didn't like MEA. I can cite the quests, characters and many facts about the game. I don't make dumb blanket statement like every quest is the same without giving specific details to support it.
I support real LGBT rights (Liberty, Guns, Bible, Trump)!
Vote for Jobs and not Mobs.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. I really don't get the appeal of this game. *Spoilers*