• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Any way to prevent weapons from breaking every 5 minutes?

User Info: PlayTheGnome

PlayTheGnome
2 months ago#1
I'm at Level 8 and loving the game...except for the fact that my swords break constantly. Not exaggerating by saying this is happening every 5 minutes of combat or so. I'm having to interrupt quests every few minutes to fast travel back to multiple merchants and buy more repair kits, since there's a limit to how many they carry. Suppose I could meditate for 5 days to replenish their supply. This all really interrupts the flow of what is a great game. This also really discourages you from wandering and encountering undiscovered areas, because your weapon is toast by the time you actually want to get to that quest you're starting. I have to re-think clearing a bandit camp or two, just because I want a fresh weapon heading into the Story quests.

I don't mind the fact that weapons break....just that they break so OFTEN in this game. Wouldn't say it is ruining the game for me but it's a major pain. Any way to prevent this from happening?
"A man chooses...a slave obeys"

User Info: Alkeez

Alkeez
2 months ago#2
What weapons are you using? I almost thought i was on the breath of the wild board, since ive never had that problem in this game 😯

Do you keep hitting shields?

You can carry some repair kits around. Maybe that will help until you get to a level where you can craft something worthwhile
3DS FC: 3067-6595-2576
I'm like Jon Jones, I sound like Sean Combs and I got trombone size stones like John Holmes -Chael Sonnen

PlayTheGnome
2 months ago#3
Alkeez posted...
What weapons are you using? I almost thought i was on the breath of the wild board, since ive never had that problem in this game 😯

You can carry some repair kits around. Maybe that will help until you get to a level where you can craft something worthwhile

Thanks. I try to carry several repair kits but they're all used up with 30-40 minutes of gameplay. I'd have to go back into the game to tell you specific sword name but they all break, no matter what they are. My best silver sword has 113-137 damage. I have found all my weapons...haven't crafted any yet. Armor also breaks every few minutes.

User Info: Tonyjaa

Tonyjaa
2 months ago#4
armor breaks every few minutes? u must have a bug or something is wrong with your game. in my 160 hours of gameplay I never had my armor and weapons break every 5 minutes.

PlayTheGnome
2 months ago#5
Tonyjaa posted...
armor breaks every few minutes? u must have a bug or something is wrong with your game. in my 160 hours of gameplay I never had my armor and weapons break every 5 minutes.

I'm not playing on the latest firmware update for the game cause I don't have a 4K TV anymore, so maybe that is the issue. That update is a huge download. Just playing on the original game version. Who knows.

User Info: pablofreak88

pablofreak88
2 months ago#6
Alkeez posted...

I almost told him wrong board, Lol.

TC are you using silver on monster and steel on human/animal right?
PSN: MuraMasaXtreme88 Pawn Rose Sorceress Lvl 33
PSN: Kuro_Okami8 Pawn Behemoth Warrior Lvl 38

User Info: MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla
2 months ago#7
Are you sticking to quests and enemies that are near your level? If you’re fighting enemies that are wayyyy above your level then that is one reason that your weapons and armor are breaking so quickly. There’s no point to fighting enemies well above your level, you don’t get more experience or anything so you might as well just leave them alone and head another direction with enemies near your level.

Also, what Pablo said. Make sure you’re using the right weapons on the right enemy type. Steel for wolves, humans, bears, etc. silver for monsters.

If not then it’s definitely some kind of bug I have never heard of.
The sun doesn't give its light to the moon assuming the moon is going to owe it one - Linkin Park

User Info: spaghettyhoop

spaghettyhoop
2 months ago#8
From what you’ve described you are fixing your weapons and armour with repair kits, rather than at a smith. A repair kit only adds 15 percent repair to a single item.

So chances are you are repairing a sword with a kit, and it’s breaking again quickly because you only fixed it to say, 30% rather than fully repairing it.

You need to go to a smith, and select the option to repair all equipped items. This fixes them to 100% and they shouldn’t break for ages then.
Xbox live - spaghettyhoop
Nintendo ID - Spaghettyhoop

User Info: MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla
2 months ago#9
spaghettyhoop posted...
From what you’ve described you are fixing your weapons and armour with repair kits, rather than at a smith. A repair kit only adds 15 percent repair to a single item.

So chances are you are repairing a sword with a kit, and it’s breaking again quickly because you only fixed it to say, 30% rather than fully repairing it.

You need to go to a smith, and select the option to repair all equipped items. This fixes them to 100% and they shouldn’t break for ages then.

This is true. To clarify: that’s 15% per kit used. Meaning if you use two in a row you get 30%. And 3 is 45% so you can use multiple kits to repair to 100%.

Also different level kits repair to different percentages. The larger kits do 40% repairs per kit iirc.

But that poster is correct, if you just used one kit it'll just break again immediately.
The sun doesn't give its light to the moon assuming the moon is going to owe it one - Linkin Park

PlayTheGnome
2 months ago#10
pablofreak88 posted...
Alkeez posted...

I almost told him wrong board, Lol.

TC are you using silver on monster and steel on human/animal right?

I have not been making that distinction, but this sounds pretty important. Have just been using Silver for everything, since it's by far my most powerful weapon. I must have missed the explanation for the differentiation....where was this outlined in the game? I have been very lazy about reading all the in-game letters you pick up and the Bestiary, etc. Just want to get to fighting...lol. Very good tip...thanks.

spaghettyhoop posted...

This point is also correct, in my error. Have just been using the repair kits for every repair need, since people on the boards (and other forums) have suggested using them on the fly, for convenience sake. It's also a pain to travel constantly to smiths to repair but if they will make the repair last much longer, more reason to do it. Looks like I have been playing the game completely wrong. Good to know...thanks!

An OT question: I can't seem to get above 200-300 crowns in the game. I pick up tons of swords and only seem to get a handful of crowns for each item at merchants. This limits what I can buy and craft. I also suck at Gwent. Any other good way to make money?
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Any way to prevent weapons from breaking every 5 minutes?
  • Topic Archived