• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Huge jump in difficulty in "Nilfgaardian Connection"??

User Info: PlayTheGnome

PlayTheGnome
1 month ago#1
I'm a relative noob to the Witcher universe so please go easy on me. I am playing on the 2nd hardest difficulty and the first section of the game (Lilac) was not too bad at all...going to undiscovered areas didn't decimate me. I'm Level 4. Suddenly, in "Nilgaardian Connection", I am getting 1 or 2-shot at undiscovered areas and the enemy difficulty seems hugely ramped up. I'm not even sure if I should be going to these random places or not. Am I just supposed to stick to the main story missions until I get stronger? Wandering around and having random fights seemed to work fine in "Lilac and Gooseberries".

Is Level 4 too weak to be playing this section of the game? I tried to go to every ? location I could find in "Lilac" and spent a coupla days seemingly doing all I could.

Thanks in advance for the feedback...
"A man chooses...a slave obeys"

User Info: Tonyjaa

Tonyjaa
1 month ago#2
Been a couple months since I played this game but I also played on the 2nd highest difficulty. as for the nilgaardian connection I don't remember too much but if u are getting killed in 1-2 shots it means u are underleveled
and u should do some main quest missions until u bring your level up. If the enemies have a red skull above them it means u are too underpowered to fight them and they are way over your level. u should only do missions and fight enemies at, below, or slightly above your level.

PlayTheGnome
1 month ago#3
Tonyjaa posted...
Been a couple months since I played this game but I also played on the 2nd highest difficulty. as for the nilgaardian connection I don't remember too much but if u are getting killed in 1-2 shots it means u are underleveled
and u should do some main quest missions until u bring your level up. If the enemies have a red skull above them it means u are too underpowered to fight them and they are way over your level. u should only do missions and fight enemies at, below, or slightly above your level.

Thanks. Yes, I am seeing the red skull enemies...lol. I will focus on missions for now and come back to the "? undiscovered" areas later.

User Info: MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla
1 month ago#4
The game has leveled areas. You won’t be able to get every question mark on the map until your close to level 25-30.

So, if you’re level is close to your missions recommended level range then you can go to any areas designated by the quest marker. But most areas outside of it are going to be higher than level 4. You’ll want to at least go through the early part of the Belen questline before you venture around too far off the beaten path.
The sun doesn't give its light to the moon assuming the moon is going to owe it one - Linkin Park

User Info: GNS1991

GNS1991
1 month ago#5
I don't know what your playstyle is in the game (that might be a major factor). Generally, Nilfgardian Connection is a breeze (set the dogs on fire with igni, and that's it). I mean, I remember being level 5 versus level 10 ghost (Jennie of the Woods contract), and winning without loosing much, if at all, HP points.

P.S. From what I understand, you go wandering off to question marks? Well, there are a couple of places (there are a lot of places actually, but just a couple near the area where Nilfgardian Connection supposed to take place) where enemies are way above you (if it would be just one, e.g., like the ghoul protecting the treasure - it's level 15 I think -, you might be able to take it down eventually, but not swarms of enemies, simply because you have s*** gear and s*** skills. Simply put, do the Niflgardian Connection quest, find the spy, and then go looking for a witch (a quest To Hunt a Witch, and do her quests). You level up by doing quests mostly (there are some XP to be gained from destroying monster nests and/or freeing up places, but not much).

P.S.S. In the main game, if the enemies are made from flesh and blood (e.g., animals, most humans, water hags, drowners etc. etc., even vampires (in Blood and Wine DLC this tactic is futile)), set them on fire with Igni (in my playthrough, I've put points in Igni up to "Melt Armour"). If the enemies are ghosts (use Yarden to slow them down and make them material and coat your sword in Spectre Oil (if you do not have it, find the ingredients in the wild and/or buy them, and brew it). Stone enemies and possibly Wild Hunt solders are a different matter, but we'll get to them when we'll get to them.

User Info: kiss_utama

kiss_utama
1 month ago#6
GNS1991 posted...
…if the enemies are made from flesh and blood (e.g., animals, most humans, water hags, drowners etc. etc., even vampires (in Blood and Wine DLC this tactic is futile)), set them on fire with Igni (in my playthrough, I've put points in Igni up to "Melt Armour")…
Stone enemies and possibly Wild Hunt solders are a different matter, but we'll get to them when we'll get to them.
even elemental enemies like earth elemental, ice elemental have armor so melt armor will do them. Cyclops, Arachas, Troll also have armor programmed to their stats. So melt armor is important.

PlayTheGnome
1 month ago#7
Thanks for all the responses. I am in the middle of the Witch finding quest (which seems to take forever once you find her) and doing ok. The golem and following Wild Hunt boss fight were odd and very slow...the only thing that had any impact was Ignii and I just spammed them with it and the occasional crossbow (which is doing ONE HP of damage with each shot). Each boss took about 30 minutes to defeat...lol. I understand what ya'll are saying about the leveled areas (and the ? areas) but I just thought they would be on a generally equal difficulty level, like Lilac. I am on the same basic gear that I started the game with and haven't seen a Blacksmith to upgrade or anything (unless I missed him). There was a weak blacksmith I met who you have to pay for Witch information but it said he was too underpowered to craft just about anything. Looking forward to finding Witcher gear.

Someone asked about my playstyle. Not sure what you mean within the context of this game, but I generally rely on melee, with the occasional sign thrown in. I have put all my points so far (9) into building up my Strong and Quick attacks. I figure combat needs to be upgraded. Should I be focusing on increasing Sign strength instead? Guess everyone has a different emphasis.

Apparently, Quen is supposed to be huge in this game so will start using that more. As far as potions, unless I am missing something, you can only equip one potion at a time? Maybe two, if you don't want any consumables?

Experience seems to come very slowly in this game. 100 points per quest or something, seems right? I'll go through the Quests but hope to be powerful enough to wander too.

Thanks for all the great tips...will definitely follow them.

User Info: MagillaGuerilla

MagillaGuerilla
1 month ago#8
Most experience points come from main quests. Side quests don’t do much for you except just generally be fun and give you reason to explore and get some loot. Also try to do quests before you get more than 5 levels about the recommended level. Anything about 5 levels gives pretty much no experience (except for story quests).
The sun doesn't give its light to the moon assuming the moon is going to owe it one - Linkin Park

PlayTheGnome
1 month ago#9
MagillaGuerilla posted...
Most experience points come from main quests. Side quests don’t do much for you except just generally be fun and give you reason to explore and get some loot. Also try to do quests before you get more than 5 levels about the recommended level. Anything about 5 levels gives pretty much no experience (except for story quests).

Thanks. On the Lilac section, wandering around was how I found several "Places of Power", which are important for padding your stats. I don't know if "Nilf Connection" has more of these in random spots across the map but exploring would be very crucial then, I imagine.

User Info: rockabilly_man

rockabilly_man
1 month ago#10
Don't forget to upgrade your equipment as you level up as well.
Earth is the melting pot of the universe - Doom Eternal
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Huge jump in difficulty in "Nilfgaardian Connection"??
  • Topic Archived