• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Advice for Crit based build
DickieGaloot 5 years ago#1
So after much pondering, I decided to opt for a wolf school build that focuses on criticals. However, upon looking at some of the other builds that people have put together ever since this game's release, I have to ask: what would be sufficient enough for critical hit chance? Should I try to keep aiming to get as far in as 50% and higher or would that just be overdoing it?
bmouse6 5 years ago#2
You just have to experiment and see for yourself - how fast can you kill and is it sufficient for you to stay alive.

Given that yuo will be focusing mostly on a single stat, the build might be squishy, meaning, you won't have much in terms of defense and resistances, so your goal would be to kill everything before it has a chance to hurt you.

Wait, are you going for critical CHANCE only? Not DAMAGE?
PSN: bmouse
The thrown rose is only significant in it's insignificance.
DickieGaloot 5 years ago#3
Good heaven's, no! I know that the damage is the main appeal behind the critical. It's just that I've observed other topics involving critical builds and much of them talk about the damage spike their criticals have but not so much about improving the likelihood of inflicting them.

To me, it sounds like one might not have to go through the trouble of increasing the percentage for critical hit chance. However I wasn't too sure about those topics since some of them were from way before HoS release, which means before skills like Battle Frenzy came into play.

If it makes you feel better, I'm going for more of a hybrid (deciding between signs and alchemy) but the build is geared towards dealing critical damage.
bmouse6 5 years ago#4
If you haven't already, I would advise you to focus on boosting your critical damage via gear and look into the Alchemy skill Killing Spree to boost the critical chance. In fact, Killing Spree should have all the critical chance you'll ever need.
DickieGaloot 5 years ago#5
I read its description. It's very nifty to have when you're getting mobbed. Now the only trick is to figure out if I want to lean more towards potions, decoctions, or oils on my way to unlock Killing Spree. Right now, I'm in my 2nd time playing through the story (new game) and I'm currently using a decent signs build since it's cheaper and more convenient. I'll respec later when I have gathered enough skill points and more superior alchemic recipes.

I can probably focus on signs later when get to BnW and I unlock some useful mutations. For now, I can get by with some basic sign intensity upping items like glyphs.
bmouse6 5 years ago#6
Boosting decoction duration is not worth it, I think. There are pretty much no limitations - meditate at any time and re-activate them.

The Vitality boost from active decoctions is up to you - if you feel that those points benefit you, go for it. If not...

Go for Poisoned Blades only if your damage is not high enough. If you are familiar with DoT skills, this is one of them and it benefits you mostly in lenghty battles.
  1. Boards
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  3. Advice for Crit based build
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A