• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  3. My review/ feelings on my Play through of the Japanese version

User Info: pkmnpkmn

pkmnpkmn
4 years ago#11
Wow finally someone who actually liked the story
3DS FC 4742-5990-4652
FC:Fighting with Mankey, Throh, Riolu.

User Info: ya-get-me

ya-get-me
4 years ago#12
AncientRune posted...
ya-get-me posted...
I originally chose the long sword and rifle as my weapons of choice.
Once I had mastered this I moved onto the twin swords and twin guns. The set Elma uses. Finally, I went for the light saber. Once an arts tree has been completed it is fun to mix an match weapons, arts and skills. This is also when those levelling points get a little scarce.

As you can tell I had a lot of fun with the weapons and arts. One more part of the weapons is the joy in finding high level drops from killing tough enemies, then upgrading those weapons with weapon slots and devices.

Devices are essential for creating super weapons; however, the game puts attaching devices to weapons as a submenu in a separate area to device creation. In the device creating shop it would have been user friendly to ask, after crafting a new device, would you like to attach this device?
It does not and I spent 50 hours without noticing that in the weapon and armour select area X opens a submenu option. It was my mistake, so I can%u2019t blame the game. My advice to any one playing the game is to open every menu.

I do not want to post spoilers at all. So I will say this. After one hundred and ten hours I have not completed the story. I have been playing the game with an emphasis on playing all the side stories and adventuring. I have found huge caves of monsters, loot in the middle of the ocean; I have marched into an enemy base with my team in four mechs and smashed the enemy to pieces. I have rage quit as my mech has been destroyed. I have cried at the stories of loss and I have laughed at the silly jokes. Elma is an awesome character, cold and precise. Lin is emotional suffering from highs and lows. Every character is unique and has great dialog, I really enjoy the various kinds of Japanese that are spoken. It will require some excellent voice acting to match the Japanese.
Your choices are important as they can cause people to live or die. The monsters are incredible.
The main story has great elements of drama. The enemy is not two dimensional.

I am currently at 50% completion. I am still really enjoying the game. In fact, I have not turned on my PC to play the Witcher 3.

Xenoblade x is a great game that has a challenging amount of options.
How much I like this game? I would be very happy to replay the game from the start.

that is pretty much the opposite that everyone else has been saying and is likely the truth of the matter

it pretty much confirms that the people who are knocking the story and characters just dont get what they are being presented with.

I am not going to attack other peoples opinions. I will say most people posted reviews so quickly after release that I just cannot grasp how they put the hours in.
One person claimed to have played the game for 400 hours in less than month.. Which is impossible. Others just watched live streams of the chapters from the main story. The game was not designed to be seen in that way. It is designed in a way that makes you understand the characters inbetween the main story chapters and then the main story is more emotional. Some people just dont like this kind of game. They want a game they can finish in 40 hours write about and collect their pay check... That type of review does not help people who are interested in the game. It only serves as troll food.

User Info: GRNKRBY

GRNKRBY
4 years ago#13
ya-get-me posted...
How much I like this game? I would be very happy to replay the game from the start.

It's kind of unfortunate that you'll have to delete the save file to do this (unless you're planning on getting an English copy of the game to replay it).

I'm really glad we can edit our avatar as we go through though; will make it that much easier for one playthrough to stay fresh by switching up my character every few months.

User Info: AncientRune

AncientRune
4 years ago#14
ya-get-me posted...
AncientRune posted...
ya-get-me posted...
I originally chose the long sword and rifle as my weapons of choice.
Once I had mastered this I moved onto the twin swords and twin guns. The set Elma uses. Finally, I went for the light saber. Once an arts tree has been completed it is fun to mix an match weapons, arts and skills. This is also when those levelling points get a little scarce.

As you can tell I had a lot of fun with the weapons and arts. One more part of the weapons is the joy in finding high level drops from killing tough enemies, then upgrading those weapons with weapon slots and devices.

Devices are essential for creating super weapons; however, the game puts attaching devices to weapons as a submenu in a separate area to device creation. In the device creating shop it would have been user friendly to ask, after crafting a new device, would you like to attach this device?
It does not and I spent 50 hours without noticing that in the weapon and armour select area X opens a submenu option. It was my mistake, so I can%u2019t blame the game. My advice to any one playing the game is to open every menu.

I do not want to post spoilers at all. So I will say this. After one hundred and ten hours I have not completed the story. I have been playing the game with an emphasis on playing all the side stories and adventuring. I have found huge caves of monsters, loot in the middle of the ocean; I have marched into an enemy base with my team in four mechs and smashed the enemy to pieces. I have rage quit as my mech has been destroyed. I have cried at the stories of loss and I have laughed at the silly jokes. Elma is an awesome character, cold and precise. Lin is emotional suffering from highs and lows. Every character is unique and has great dialog, I really enjoy the various kinds of Japanese that are spoken. It will require some excellent voice acting to match the Japanese.
Your choices are important as they can cause people to live or die. The monsters are incredible.
The main story has great elements of drama. The enemy is not two dimensional.

I am currently at 50% completion. I am still really enjoying the game. In fact, I have not turned on my PC to play the Witcher 3.

Xenoblade x is a great game that has a challenging amount of options.

that is pretty much the opposite that everyone else has been saying and is likely the truth of the matter

it pretty much confirms that the people who are knocking the story and characters just dont get what they are being presented with.

I am not going to attack other peoples opinions. I will say most people posted reviews so quickly after release that I just cannot grasp how they put the hours in.
One person claimed to have played the game for 400 hours in less than month.. Which is impossible. Others just watched live streams of the chapters from the main story. The game was not designed to be seen in that way. It is designed in a way that makes you understand the characters inbetween the main story chapters and then the main story is more emotional. Some people just dont like this kind of game. They want a game they can finish in 40 hours write about and collect their pay check... That type of review does not help people who are interested in the game. It only serves as troll food.

that 400 hours was Gessenkou who translated almost every website update and video presentation so he is telling the truth, he also said that he left the game running a few times

id figure id ask here is only the appearance changeable or can we change the name as well

ya-get-me
4 years ago#15
400 hours was an exaggeration that damaged my opinion of their review. If the game was simply left on claiming you played for 400 hours is very deceptive. I could leave the game on for a month and play nothing.

Truth is relative. It was their opinion. Mine is in my review.
One night I messed with the names thing and I cant be confident but I believe it was possible.I only looked at it for a few seconds. I will update you when I have tried tonight.

User Info: Gloryfinder

Gloryfinder
4 years ago#16
ya-get-me posted...
As the game progresses more options and more abilities are added. Managing arts and skill point levels can also be a daunting task. The player has a limited amount of points to allocate to arts and skills. The same points are shared between both skills and arts so it is very easy to waste points that could have been used later to increase your many characters powers.

Can you redistribute those limited points however you want throughout the game or are decisions permanent? If it's permanent, is it more like how the first Xenoblade handles art leveling, where you can slowly grind as many points as you want through battles?

I love experimenting with different combos in games like this, so I'm hoping I wont be too hard locked into earlier decisions so I can mess around more, or there's at least flexibility if I put in enough playtime to grind more points (if that's an option).

Also thanks for the review, it offered a lot of insight.

ya-get-me
4 years ago#17
Gloryfinder posted...
ya-get-me posted...
As the game progresses more options and more abilities are added. Managing arts and skill point levels can also be a daunting task. The player has a limited amount of points to allocate to arts and skills. The same points are shared between both skills and arts so it is very easy to waste points that could have been used later to increase your many characters powers.

Can you redistribute those limited points however you want throughout the game or are decisions permanent? If it's permanent, is it more like how the first Xenoblade handles art leveling, where you can slowly grind as many points as you want through battles?

I love experimenting with different combos in games like this, so I'm hoping I wont be too hard locked into earlier decisions so I can mess around more, or there's at least flexibility if I put in enough playtime to grind more points (if that's an option).

Also thanks for the review, it offered a lot of insight.

A good question, I will experiment when I get home tonight and let you know as soon as I can. I felt like the point spending was permanent.

I will make notes of any questions people have and try to answer as best I can.
Thanks for reading.
My hundred and ten plus hours have been a massive learning curve and I am still learning how the game works. Time has flown and experimenting is part of the fun of the game. It really is a lot to take in.

User Info: MetaFalconPunch

MetaFalconPunch
4 years ago#18
Ah, here's a question I just thought of: How is the avatar? Self-insert characters are extremely polarizing and hit-or-miss, from what I'd know, so could you tell us your thoughts on how the avatar is portrayed and whether he/she is a god or bad self-insert?
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.

User Info: Moostache15

Moostache15
4 years ago#19
GRNKRBY posted...
ya-get-me posted...

It's kind of unfortunate that you'll have to delete the save file to do this (unless you're planning on getting an English copy of the game to replay it).

I'm really glad we can edit our avatar as we go through though; will make it that much easier for one playthrough to stay fresh by switching up my character every few months.

It might be possible to sign into your Wii U with a different account or user within your account to have a 2nd game save. Not positive, never personally tested it. Anyone with the game now could test this?

ya-get-me
4 years ago#20
MetaFalconPunch posted...
Ah, here's a question I just thought of: How is the avatar? Self-insert characters are extremely polarizing and hit-or-miss, from what I'd know, so could you tell us your thoughts on how the avatar is portrayed and whether he/she is a god or bad self-insert?

It is really hard to answer this question.
I feel like I am not being forced to be someone I am not. I just decide what I want to say and the results will change how I bond with characters. If I take one person's side in an argument then one person will gain companion points the other will not.
Some people are hard to bond with because you i really agree with them.
Some I can get along with great because I like their personalities. The avatar is pretty good at not being a strong character. That might sound bad but I mean it in a good way. You are not the savior of the universe or anything like that. You are a member of blade and you are trying to get along with people on a new planet. You may want to make friends or you may not like someone you have a choice in how you interact with people to a point.

This is something that some people have disliked. This Rpg makes the player into a supporting member of a group of individuals. You are just the choice maker. You are not special. You dont get a magical sword. I dont want to say more. I had some story points spoiled by careless posts I dont want to do the same.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  3. My review/ feelings on my Play through of the Japanese version
  • Topic Archived