• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  3. My review/ feelings on my Play through of the Japanese version

User Info: ya-get-me

ya-get-me
4 years ago#1
A review of Xenoblade cross (Xenoblade Chronicles x)

My background.
I started this game with little knowledge of the Xeno series. I have played 6 hours of Xenoblade Chronicles on my New 3ds before this released.
My Japanese level is around N3, I am currently studying for N2.
My listening and speaking level is higher than my writing and reading level.
I have lived in Japan for 6 years.
My first Jrpg was The secret of Mana.

So onto my opinion of the game, I will begin with the avatar creator. It is a simple process that is not time consuming and is easy to navigate.
That is all you really need to know. The options are slightly limited compared to some avatar creators; however, I found it easy to make an anime version of my self.. All be it an early twenties version.
Aging is not an option. So if you look a certain way it does not have an aging system. It would have been a nice touch if this had been possible.

Entering the world of Xenoblade x for the first time is pretty impressive. It is a really beautiful game.
Combat is easy to understand and movement is very fluid. The developers have made light terrain a none issue. So you can run through anything that you could run through in the real world.
It is very frustrating to be caught on a blade of grass or a pebble in a game about adventure, Xenoblade x never suffers from this.
Only large objects are solid.

NLA seems very sparse when you first enter; however, as the game progresses and story missions are completed the city and its population increases. It is something I really enjoy while I play.

The first 15 hours of Xenoblade x are a little bit overwhelming. So much information is given to the player. So much has to be understood for the game to be fully enjoyed.
The menu system is a mass of options. As the game progressed I found myself using all the options. With so many options it is hard to imagine a better interface. Unfortunately, I feel that the menu could be too much for some less experienced gamers.

As the game progresses more options and more abilities are added. Managing arts and skill point levels can also be a daunting task. The player has a limited amount of points to allocate to arts and skills. The same points are shared between both skills and arts so it is very easy to waste points that could have been used later to increase your many characters powers.

There are many team members that can be used in this game and choosing the team is also a tricky business. Each member has their own friendship stories and to unlock these stories requires a level of bounding with your avatar, or in one or two cases other team members. I added the DLC day one, which increased the amount of playable members by four. With hindsight, I already had enough content.
Each member’s story will unlock a high level art based on their choice of weapons.

ya-get-me
4 years ago#2
I originally chose the long sword and rifle as my weapons of choice.
Once I had mastered this I moved onto the twin swords and twin guns. The set Elma uses. Finally, I went for the light saber. Once an arts tree has been completed it is fun to mix an match weapons, arts and skills. This is also when those levelling points get a little scarce.

As you can tell I had a lot of fun with the weapons and arts. One more part of the weapons is the joy in finding high level drops from killing tough enemies, then upgrading those weapons with weapon slots and devices.

Devices are essential for creating super weapons; however, the game puts attaching devices to weapons as a submenu in a separate area to device creation. In the device creating shop it would have been user friendly to ask, after crafting a new device, would you like to attach this device?
It does not and I spent 50 hours without noticing that in the weapon and armour select area X opens a submenu option. It was my mistake, so I can’t blame the game. My advice to any one playing the game is to open every menu.

I do not want to post spoilers at all. So I will say this. After one hundred and ten hours I have not completed the story. I have been playing the game with an emphasis on playing all the side stories and adventuring. I have found huge caves of monsters, loot in the middle of the ocean; I have marched into an enemy base with my team in four mechs and smashed the enemy to pieces. I have rage quit as my mech has been destroyed. I have cried at the stories of loss and I have laughed at the silly jokes. Elma is an awesome character, cold and precise. Lin is emotional suffering from highs and lows. Every character is unique and has great dialog, I really enjoy the various kinds of Japanese that are spoken. It will require some excellent voice acting to match the Japanese.
Your choices are important as they can cause people to live or die. The monsters are incredible.
The main story has great elements of drama. The enemy is not two dimensional.

I am currently at 50% completion. I am still really enjoying the game. In fact, I have not turned on my PC to play the Witcher 3.

Xenoblade x is a great game that has a challenging amount of options.
How much I like this game? I would be very happy to replay the game from the start.

User Info: MetaFalconPunch

MetaFalconPunch
4 years ago#3
Thank you so much for this highly in-depth spoiler-free impressions post. As someone who hasn't played XC but is interested in it and this game, it's great to see detailed information like this.
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.

ya-get-me
4 years ago#4
MetaFalconPunch posted...
Thank you so much for this highly in-depth spoiler-free impressions post. As someone who hasn't played XC but is interested in it and this game, it's great to see detailed information like this.

You are welcome. I felt like writing this after not seeing much information for fans at e3.

User Info: JacketsNest101

JacketsNest101
4 years ago#5
Great job on the review, it's nice to see someone make such a detailed and extensive review filled with tips and tricks to make the gameplay more fluid and the experience more enjoyable for new players. Have fun with the rest of the game, and I'll see on Mira when this game releases state-side in December. Happy Gaming!!!
3DS FC: 5214-9811-5004 Add Me!!
NNID: JacketsNest101 Add Me!!

ya-get-me
4 years ago#6
I made a few typos. So I apologize for those! I I meant to type bonding instead of bounding. I guess I had running fast on the mind!

User Info: Monolithsoft

Monolithsoft
4 years ago#7
Good review ; ) .
This is close to what I feel about the game.
Playing : XenobladeX - Maybe waiting for : Star Ocean 5 and #FE

User Info: MindwalkerX

MindwalkerX
4 years ago#8
Always good to see more impressions, thank you.

Cannot wait to get this game.
There is much to be done.
3DS FC: 3024 5230 7246/NNID: GravenX

User Info: GeminiWK

GeminiWK
4 years ago#9
Nice detailed review. You even covered a few things I haven't seen mentioned yet.
"I''m Going female... who the hell wants a dude?"-KadeAuron
Psn: Darklyger036. NNID: Tuxedoswag

User Info: AncientRune

AncientRune
4 years ago#10
ya-get-me posted...
I originally chose the long sword and rifle as my weapons of choice.
Once I had mastered this I moved onto the twin swords and twin guns. The set Elma uses. Finally, I went for the light saber. Once an arts tree has been completed it is fun to mix an match weapons, arts and skills. This is also when those levelling points get a little scarce.

As you can tell I had a lot of fun with the weapons and arts. One more part of the weapons is the joy in finding high level drops from killing tough enemies, then upgrading those weapons with weapon slots and devices.

Devices are essential for creating super weapons; however, the game puts attaching devices to weapons as a submenu in a separate area to device creation. In the device creating shop it would have been user friendly to ask, after crafting a new device, would you like to attach this device?
It does not and I spent 50 hours without noticing that in the weapon and armour select area X opens a submenu option. It was my mistake, so I can’t blame the game. My advice to any one playing the game is to open every menu.

I do not want to post spoilers at all. So I will say this. After one hundred and ten hours I have not completed the story. I have been playing the game with an emphasis on playing all the side stories and adventuring. I have found huge caves of monsters, loot in the middle of the ocean; I have marched into an enemy base with my team in four mechs and smashed the enemy to pieces. I have rage quit as my mech has been destroyed. I have cried at the stories of loss and I have laughed at the silly jokes. Elma is an awesome character, cold and precise. Lin is emotional suffering from highs and lows. Every character is unique and has great dialog, I really enjoy the various kinds of Japanese that are spoken. It will require some excellent voice acting to match the Japanese.
Your choices are important as they can cause people to live or die. The monsters are incredible.
The main story has great elements of drama. The enemy is not two dimensional.

I am currently at 50% completion. I am still really enjoying the game. In fact, I have not turned on my PC to play the Witcher 3.

Xenoblade x is a great game that has a challenging amount of options.
How much I like this game? I would be very happy to replay the game from the start.

that is pretty much the opposite that everyone else has been saying and is likely the truth of the matter

it pretty much confirms that the people who are knocking the story and characters just dont get what they are being presented with.
  1. Boards
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
  3. My review/ feelings on my Play through of the Japanese version
  • Topic Archived