• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Mario Kart Wii vs Mario Kart 8: Which game was more balanced? And was better?

User Info: Dbzandsmash

Dbzandsmash
3 years ago#1
Balanced:

Character Roster: ?
Vehicles: MK8

Better:
Mk8
Kobe Baller af
(message deleted)

User Info: BabyLuigiOnFire

BabyLuigiOnFire
3 years ago#3
Mario Kart 8 has better character/vehicle balance, for sure. Mario Kart Wii probably has the better item balance to offset that, though.

As for the roster, you can bet my ass that Mario Kart Wii has a better roster. I'd trade the Koopalings, Baby Rosalina, Tanooki Mario, Pink Gold Peach, and Cat Peach for King Boo, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, and Funky Kong any time of the week. Mario Kart 8 does have the advantage of the nonMario characters like Link and Villager but I don't think it's enough to offset the lack of characters Mario Kart 8 has.

Mario Kart 8 has more vehicle variety for all characters, so of course it's better in the vehicle department.

Mario Kart 8 imo also has better tracks and better music. and even though both battle modes are crapo, Mario Kart 8 has it marginally better.

I still love Mario Kart Wii very dearly and it'll have a spot in my top ten favorite games of all time list (make it top five, even) but Mario Kart 8 is something I love more than Mario Kart Wii.
I am Baby Luigi's #1 fan. I can prove it to you with charts and diagrams if you ask. I'm also a bit cranky.
Left 4 Dead 2 is the best Mario-based shooter.

User Info: Bluedinkle

Bluedinkle
3 years ago#4
I find Mario Kart Wii superior to 8. With 8, the only thing it tops Wii with is the graphics.
I'm a blue Toad!

User Info: Soviet_Snorlax

Soviet_Snorlax
3 years ago#5
8 easily. Actually going back to Funky Bike Wii, I prefer the item and character balance in 8. Tracks also don't quite compare to 8, it's really good. Roster is lacking, but having Mario, Wario, and Rosalina is enough for me in all honesty.

And that's not even mentioning DLC and 200cc. 200cc is amazing.
http://i.imgur.com/LR5QiwA.gif
OPEN THE EYES

User Info: xFieryFiendx

xFieryFiendx
3 years ago#6
In MKW, even if you get knocked to the back by items, the game is designed in a way where you can still make a comeback most of the time thanks to the strength of the power items and effective shortcuts. With MK8, you usually get stuck with mushrooms and there aren't enough good shortcuts to utilize them with. The power items like stars and bullet bills aren't that strong in this game, so comebacks aren't likely here and that's where it falls apart in terms of balance for me. Not to mention, the overabundance of coins which leaves you defenseless (I know, the fake item box did this too, but at least it could be used to block the path) and not being able to hold more than one item makes it worse. Oh yeah, the fire flower and boomerang are extremely annoying spam items. You also shouldn't be able to get triple red shells in 2nd place in MK8 either.

Overall, I felt that the balance in MKW was better, thus making the game as a whole better because that's quite possibly the most important part of the Mario Kart gameplay. Sure you see the same few characters and vehicles in almost every race, but the items are a huge equalizer and you feel like you actually have a chance against the Funky's and Daisy's of the MKW world. It felt so good beating Funky Flame Runners with vehicles like the Blue Falcon. It made for a fun time.
The time you spent reading this could've been used to feed a homeless person.
The time you spent reading this could've been used to post something worth while.

User Info: Whiteout_2

Whiteout_2
3 years ago#7
MK8 is vastly more balanced than MKW. But MKW as a result has a competitive niche that MK8 doesn't have...still, I like MK8 better because of what it did right.

MKW definitely has a better roster though in my opinion. I miss King Boo :(

Vehicles? MK8 hands down.
(message deleted)

User Info: Spider5800

Spider5800
3 years ago#9
Ugh, MK Wii had a wildly unbalanced roster and karts, to the point where seeing entire rooms of Daisy's and Funky Kong's on the bikes was not unusual. The item distribution was terrible and lead to a constant stream of blue and red shells. MK8 is far superior.

If someone asks me about racing in MK Wii all I can think about is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8mee2iMW84

MK Wii was terrible.
The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Now I am leaving Earth for no raisin!

User Info: Swiftie_Muggle

Swiftie_Muggle
3 years ago#10
MKWii has better items overall and how the play out in game , and the roster is better as a whole

MK8 has better physics , controls and graphics

to me is a tie , as i play both games.
Know Your Place <3. Gurl Powah
GR Supporter , Steps On You* Legacy.
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Mario Kart Wii vs Mario Kart 8: Which game was more balanced? And was better?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A