• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. What's everyone's problem with battle mode? O_O

User Info: Smallville12225

Smallville12225
6 years ago#1
So, I just played battle mode online for the last three hours.

I got the game, expecting battle mode to be terrible. I've heard nothing good about it in reviews. I tried it once, with the expectation that that would be my last try.

I think it's really fun. You almost always have 12 people, and I never go more than about ten seconds without seeing someone. I feel way less compelled to follow the track than I thought I would... Like... Are people actually giving it a chance? It's different, sure, but this is the most fun I've had with battle mode since N64... Without talking to my brother about it at all, he agreed, and said it's one of his favorite modes.

I don't understand the hate at all? Or I guess, I understand some of it, because it's a change... But everyone has made this sound awful, and it's very very fun imo...

User Info: Pink_a_Dink

Pink_a_Dink
6 years ago#2
People always complain about everything.
PvP in a nutshell - http://i.imgur.com/IGihDcP.gif

User Info: Illuminoius

Illuminoius
6 years ago#3
the problem people have is that the fields aren't original

User Info: brosa0

brosa0
6 years ago#4
I actually don't mind the courses used for battle mode, so long as there are 10-12 racers. It is ridiculous when it gets down to 2-3 racers and they can't find each other.

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
6 years ago#5
The timer is the main problem. That stupid timer has been a cancer on the battle system since it was introduced. And even with 12 people, it's hard to find people. There's not enough room to dodge, and there's little variety in items. Buuut...if they just gave us the option to remove the timer, I'd say it could potentially be fun.
FC: 1161-0708-6417
Erik of Ingland

User Info: Smallville12225

Smallville12225
6 years ago#6
True, the tracks aren't original designs.

But Toad Harbor the racetrack and Toad Harbor the battlefield still feel quite different.

I'm doing quite well in battle mode. And one thing I notice with the people that are sucking, is that they just keep driving around the track and are often defenseless. I tend to choose an area of the track with item boxes and circle back and forth within it, sometimes camping as if playing a shooter. It works really really well. You just have to treat these courses as battlefields, even though they double as race tracks.

User Info: xmonkeyofevil

xmonkeyofevil
6 years ago#7
brosa0 posted...
I actually don't mind the courses used for battle mode, so long as there are 10-12 racers. It is ridiculous when it gets down to 2-3 racers and they can't find each other.

So much this. Every course starts off great, but then it get's to that "okay, nothings happening" part of the round. Seriously should have had dedicated arenas.
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/monkeyofevil/magnaangemon.gif

User Info: SuperSaiyanSonic

SuperSaiyanSonic
6 years ago#8
Pink_a_Dink posted...
People always complain about everything.

Right, every game is perfect and the people with complaints just want to complain about something.

A couple things make battle mode bad.

1. Tracks are generally not too wide. This makes it hard for people to stay in one area battling.
2. Item boxes take longer to come back, making it harder for people to stay in one area.
3. You can't carry more than one item. This may be fine for racing as it gives you a different strategy. However, it makes the big problem in battle mode worse. You have to go to a different area of the track to get a new item.
4. The tracks are too big with no middle ground for shortcuts from one side to the other. You will spend more time driving alone than battling.

It is racing without the race.
I have nothing clever or funny to give you. Just use whatever you want. -CliffJHarris

User Info: Zeveria

Zeveria
6 years ago#9
Smallville12225 posted...
I tend to choose an area of the track with item boxes and circle back and forth within it, sometimes camping as if playing a shooter. It works really really well.

I feel inclined not to believe you...the boxes disappear when you camp.
FC: 1161-0708-6417
Erik of Ingland

User Info: ThatWasPeachy

ThatWasPeachy
6 years ago#10
I really don't mind it. I think it's the best battle mode yet.
Am I supposed to put something here?
  1. Boards
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. What's everyone's problem with battle mode? O_O
  • Topic Archived

Need More Help?

1. Guides and Walkthroughs 3 Guides / Maps
  2. GameFAQs Q&A 121 Questions (120 Answered)

GameFAQs Q&A