• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Topic & Message counts on the Board List should not include archived topics.

User Info: NeoDhaos

NeoDhaos
4 weeks ago#1
This is a completely inaccurate representation of how active a board is.

Take the PC board for example: Going by the board list, it has 140K topics and 2.32M posts.

In reality, it only has 215 active topics, and however many posts are in those.

Seems like a sensible change to me.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#2
What is the goal of this? Because I've never taken "total messages" to mean "this is a level of activity". To be honest, I don't really see the value of topic and message count so changing from one meaningless number to another meaningless one doesn't seem like much value.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

NeoDhaos
4 weeks ago#3
vlado_e posted...
What is the goal of this? Because I've never taken "total messages" to mean "this is a level of activity". To be honest, I don't really see the value of topic and message count so changing from one meaningless number to another meaningless one doesn't seem like much value.
Well, back in the day (before topic archiving was implemented) it was certainly an indicator of how active a board was. That's what I've always taken it to mean.

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
4 weeks ago#4
*sign*
My Social Server, Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/emd
My PMD Rescue Server: https://discord.gg/E57gMQq

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
3 weeks ago#5
*anti-sign*

Even if most of the posts are archived, they're still old posts you can read for enjoyment.
In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
Founder and owner of Dragonsoft since 1997.

User Info: The_Mighty_KELP

The_Mighty_KELP
3 weeks ago#6
I'd be for an addition to the board list that tracks active messages and topics, but not an outright replacement. I think it's useful information to see how many archived topics and messages a board has, and would not want that to go away. If you could click a button or set a preference to see only active messages and topics, that'd be fine, and so would adding another column that tracks those alongside a board's archived topics and messages, that'd be fine, too. But I'm against just doing away with the current info.

*conditional anti-sign*
Link to the Actual GameFAQs Poll of the Day Board: https://tinyurl.com/actualpoll
Discuss the poll of the day! Topicality is enforced.

User Info: ironyisntdead

ironyisntdead
3 weeks ago#7
*anti-sign*
---

User Info: -hotdogturtle--

-hotdogturtle--
3 weeks ago#8
I would support either a site display setting to choose whether or not to include archived topics in the message counts, or a new display (yet to be invented) to allow you to see the number of non-archived topics on demand without changing the overall layout.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

NeoDhaos
1 week ago#9
-hotdogturtle-- posted...
I would support either a site display setting to choose whether or not to include archived topics in the message counts, or a new display (yet to be invented) to allow you to see the number of non-archived topics on demand without changing the overall layout.
This is reasonable to me. If I could edit the OP, I would change it to an option that can be turned on and off.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Topic & Message counts on the Board List should not include archived topics.
  • Post New Message