• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Alteration of game rating system

User Info: silvermaiden

silvermaiden
4 weeks ago#1
Been adding a couple things to my games list and started thinking. Being able to rate games in only increments of 0.5 points (with a max of 5) is kind of limiting; I wish it could be expanded a little bit. My suggestion would be to divide each heart into four pieces, like in Zelda games, letting you increase your ratings by .25 points at a time. I hardly ever give games a "Flawless" rating, because so few qualify, and I reserve the 4.5's only for ones I really, REALLY like. It would be nice to be able to bump up my countless "Great" games past simply 4.0. This would allow me to give games a more accurate and unique rating, plus I think it would allow games to be better represented overall with a more flexible score system.

You can pretty much keep the word representations the same (fair, good, great, outstanding), just maybe let them carry over an extra fourth of a heart. What do you guys think?
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Eevee-Trainer

Eevee-Trainer
4 weeks ago#2
*anti-sign*

I don't really see a need to overcomplicate matters like this. A 10-point system is just fine; round to the nearest integer or use your rounding convention of preference to handle the edge cases.
My Social Server, Eevee's Mystery Dungeon: https://discord.gg/emd
My PMD Rescue Server: https://discord.gg/E57gMQq

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#3
*anti-sign*

10 ponts is way more than enough. I'd even say it's too many but whatever. adding 20 points really address the the fundamental fact that rankings are subjective. Adding more points to the scale would not really change anything - if Alice votes for 5/10 and Bob votes for 7/10 their more fine grained votes would be 10/20 and 14/20. Yet the average is still the same in both cases it's 60% of the scale. Maybe with 20 points Alice can really actually express her view that it's ever so slightly above average - 11/20 and Bob can finally admit that it's a decent game but slightly mediocre and votes for 13/20. And the average rating is not impacted.

That's assuming people were voting consistently, of course. In reality, polls suffer from people being averse to choosing the extreme answers. If they are trying to be "fair", they would be a lot less likely to choose the minimum or maximum. The more you grow the scale, the larger the perceived range for the minimum and maximum is - on 1-5 people generally avoid 1 and 5, on 1-10 the numbers 1, 2, 9, and 10 are less likely to be chosen.

Want an example?

silvermaiden posted...
I hardly ever give games a "Flawless" rating, because so few qualify, and I reserve the 4.5's only for ones I really, REALLY like

There you go - you're doing it.

So, the suggestions would hardly change the ratings. On average, it would stay the same.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: demonwyrm

demonwyrm
4 weeks ago#4
The way most reviewers out there use quarter-points on a ten point system is already overly complicated. Games don't need to be dissected down that deeply just to give a basic opinion. Honestly, all you really need are 5 solid points for someone to get an idea of how good or bad a game is. That's what reviews and ratings are for - a basic idea of the game's quality. Not a point by point micro-inspection of everything you loved or hated about it.

*anti-sign*
Nonsense! That is what you speak. Nonsense... from beyond!

User Info: firedraco2

firedraco2
4 weeks ago#5
*anti-sign*

Don't need that much detail for this; it's not important. It's a rough rating, not an exact science.
Well when I asked this one cute girl out during lunch, I got laughed at because I was wearing this ridiculous cape called the Ebisu Rainment. -NeoseekerDarkKn

User Info: -hotdogturtle--

-hotdogturtle--
4 weeks ago#6
I think that 10 points is already too many. People rarely use any of the middle numbers and just stick to the extremes.
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC

User Info: Xeowulf

Xeowulf
3 weeks ago#7
*anti-sign*

I also don't see any reason to go beyond a 10-point system.
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." - Obi-Wan about the GameFAQs boards

User Info: CyanRouge

CyanRouge
3 weeks ago#8
*anti-sign*

The review/rating bombing will only get worse if you expand the scoring system because a 1/10 won't have as much of a dramatic effect on the overall rating as a 1/20.
"What is not good they (the foolish) call the worst, and what is not hateful, they call the best." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  1. Boards
  2. Site Suggestions
  3. Alteration of game rating system
  • Post New Message